New Topic Add Reply
Sunfish, a summary.
Post 08 Sep 2021, 20:59 • #1 
Guide
I've decided that pumpkinseeds are my favorite. Scrappy,
and look at that color! This season's tools of choice have
been my solo canoe and a Phillipson RF70c. Short boat,
short rod, fun fishing.

Summer's almost over; relax and go fishing.

Re: Sunfish, a summary.
Post 08 Sep 2021, 21:31 • #2 
Master Guide
A truly beautiful fish that also fights above its weight class and readily takes topwater flies... like people say: if they grew to five pounds, they might be all I fished for.

Post 08 Sep 2021, 22:35 • #3 
Master Guide
Gaultheria ,
A Phillipson and a Pumpkinseed.
I’m so down with that!!!!
They don’t get super big here in Maryland but there are some scrappy a$$ ones on my local waters.

Do you have any pics with your Royal Philly?
Does yours have the conical winding check or just all cork with the slide rings ?
Cheers,
Keep that Philly Flying..

Post 09 Sep 2021, 07:32 • #4 
Master Guide
Great pictures! Have you noticed that the larger ones are usually caught with more stealth ?

Post 09 Sep 2021, 07:39 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful fish!

Post 09 Sep 2021, 09:58 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a fun time !

Post 09 Sep 2021, 10:17 • #7 
Master Guide
I was just doing that on Tuesday on the South branch, caught over 30 on rubber spiders, tons of fun on my 81/2' McFarland Parabolic fiberglass 6 weight, also nabbed a few little smallmouth, a brownie, several bluegills and 2 fallfish. Nothing very big so maybe a 4wt would have been better but there are some very sizeable smallies in this run. I did spot 4 of them walking back to the truck, I'll target them today or tomorrow then.

Post 09 Sep 2021, 10:20 • #8 
Guide
Looks like a good time, gotta love those sunfish. Great underwater shot of their shadowy world. Also, great advise.

Post 09 Sep 2021, 13:28 • #9 
Guide
You are talking my language, as that is most of our fishing here in S. Arizona. Our southern latitude provides the fish with long growing seasons and our local lakes have bluegill, redeared (shell crackers) and even green sunfish.

Agreed the combo of glass rods and healthy sunfish of all kinds is a great one.

I mostly fish a Silaflex 8'6" 6/7 rod; a Silaflex 7'8" 4-pc (recently acquired) and whatever 8'-ers I find at yard sales, estate sales, swap meets (none lately).

I may have convinced my main fishing buddy to try a fiberglass rod..he was going to swap me his 8' Fenglass 7 wt in mint condition for a 70's Fenwick spinning rod that I just found (plus a few more items)...but after looking online values he decided to keep the old Fenwick fly rod and try it out. I told him he would have a hard time finding something better, locally at least.

I outfish him with my glass on occasion....and do my best to "rub it in" on our weekly journeys south to the lakes, so it was a good call to keep that rod. If he changes his mind, of course I will be there to take it off his hands.

Post 09 Sep 2021, 15:23 • #10 
Guide
These posts make me nostalgic over when I was learning to cast and fish a fly rod over the summer of my Junior year at college at my first college. Learned on Sunfish in my local lake, with the occasional SMB. Fun times.

Post 14 Sep 2021, 12:00 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the great pics and story.The ONLY reason i ever picked up a flyrod was sunfish.I could never catch or rarely the monster bluegills that inhabited some private strip mines i used to fish.The clear deep water made them as wary as any fish can be.The only time they became reckless was feeding on top.My first fish on a fly rod was a 4lb bass on a generic dry fly fishing for gills go figure.I have caught 1000s of sunfish on flies from 2inches to 2lbs.My absolute favorite flyrod for fishing on top for sunfish is a 6' 3WT Cabela's prime 1 piece.Caught a 5lb bass on hippy stomper last year,the rod has so much flex that it held with 4lb tippet.It is a little light for weighted nymphs then i go to a 6.5 wonderod or 6' browning silaflex for subsurface.The bugs are big and juicy,great time of year for sunfishing with a flyrod.

Post 19 Sep 2021, 19:24 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I loved that kind of fishing growing up in Pennsylvania many moons ago....

New Topic Add Reply