It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:55

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Sep 2021, 14:01 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
The national forests here are all closed due to high fire danger, multiple fires burning, etc. Same situation as last year, but this year the USFS is heading off the Labor Day situation early. The new normal. Oh well, I'm not a huge fan of holiday traffic anyway and headed to the park.

I got an early start from the trailhead, just after dawn and headed uphill. By about 9-ish I crested 2400'. A bit of haze but not too bad. Certainly not the horrible air quality in Tahoe or Reno right now.

Downhill past a lake, partially burned in last year's fire. Looks like the tules / reeds were starting to grow back.

After a few more ups and downs I came to a pond by mid morning. It was warming up, forecasted highs in the upper 80's. This has not been a good water year, and it showed. But this pond seemed to be holding on.

I got out my Redington Butter Stick II 6wt. The pic is from May, but you get the idea :) The reel is a White River Fly Shop "New Classic" 4/5 wt clicker, loaded with an older model Orvis Hydros Bass WF6F line.

I tried a few foam dragonflies, largish hippie stompers, etc. but the fish seemed to respond better to sinking flies and streamers though.

I caught a few more, some smaller, but nothing huge. It was a pleasant way to laze away the morning. Around lunchtime I packed up and headed down the trail a bit to a lake. The lake had also burned in the fire last year, taking with it a lot of the tules and brush. The water level was also lower, but good enough.

I inflated my Alpacka Scout and headed out on the water (paddle not shown).

The bass were smacking damselflies, some completely airborne. I had a bit of luck here and there.

But really I came for the black crappie. I switched to a 5ips versileader and small streamers.

The bass liked the streamers, too.

I've seen people pull catfish out of this lake at times, but mostly on bait. I think I lack the patience to do it with flies. It was nice to just be out, floating, and away from people, who were slowly trickling in for the weekend.

Towards 4pm I packed up and started hiking out. I stopped at the first lake and fished a bit, but the holiday crowd was starting to show up.

By 6:15 I was back on the trail, and returned to the car two hours later, in full darkness and the cool of the evening. 17 miles / 3200' elevation gain.

Post 05 Sep 2021, 14:50 • #2 
Master Guide
Nice, pretty ponds. Above normal temps for the month of September (thank God the days are shorter and the sun’s angle is lower) This is our new normal, climate change is and will continue to be hard on California and the west. Second year in a row the temps in the eastern Sierra most notably the Crowley lake area which sits at 6,800 feet we’re in the high 80 to low 90s for most of July and August. This year Crowley reached an all time high surface temp of 76 degrees in this time period. Those black crappie are nice good fighters.

Last edited by Little kern golden on 05 Sep 2021, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Sep 2021, 14:53 • #3 
Guide
The Northern California rolling hills of chaparral with the open grass meadows full of oak trees are just so beautiful!
Glad to see you could get out of the drift smoke from all those fires in the area. If you can’t go into the National Forest then this area looks like a great back-up place.
Thank You for sharing it’s just like being there!

Post 06 Sep 2021, 07:42 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a fun outing!

Post 06 Sep 2021, 09:00 • #5 
Guide
Looks like a great day Odonata!
That Alpacka looks like a nifty rig for getting after it in warmwater. There's a nearby lake with some good Crappie action & that vessel would be ideal.
I would have to go with a Caribou or a Mule bc I'm built like a nose tackle :lol def would sink a Scout!!!

Post 06 Sep 2021, 16:14 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks all.

Alpacka usually has a year-end sale; I think it starts around Black Friday ? I got this particular Scout at that sale; I also have a 2017 model, which is a bit lighter, but has the old-style valve.

All their stuff is made in the US in house.

The Scout is a tad bit short for me, so often I have to prop my feet up on the bow to get comfortable. However, it is very light. I've been known to do three day trips with it.

I also own a Kokopelli Rogue Lite, which is heavier and bulkier in the pack, but for daytrips it is much more comfortable and offers me more legroom.

Mine is a few years old. I think the newest ones are a bit over five pounds, but have a more durable floor material.

Post 07 Sep 2021, 21:07 • #7 
Guide
Very cool! I think an Alpacka is more versatile for getting at ponds & stock tanks here than say an SUP.
Thanks for the info Odonata!

Post 08 Sep 2021, 09:49 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
SUP's look like a lot of fun. There have been some posts here from folks who use them fishing, and some friends & family enjoy them. Kind of heavy for hike-in locations, though.

My problem is balance -- when I broke my neck in a car accident some years ago, I sustained neurological damage. Had to be taught how to walk all over again. I should probably take one of the local SUP classes around here while the weather is still warm, just to see how many times I can fall into the lake :)

Post 18 Sep 2021, 21:10 • #9 
Guide
I agree about SUP being heavy & cumbersome!
BTW, crazy that you had that injury & recovered well enough to hike the way you do!
Just told my sister that was quite insiring :like

New Topic Add Reply