It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:29

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Sep 2021, 16:10 • #1 
Sport
Hoping to get some feedback on the Iconoglass 5 weight. I was really looking for a 6 weight (think Pink Salmon), but it seems one was never offered. I know blanks can fall within a size or two between advertised weight vs. actual.

I need the blank to have a strong backbone and to handle Pinks and if lucky, an occasional early Coho. A true 5 weight will be to little for the intended use.

Hoping to hear from anyone who has used the Iconoglass in a 5 weight.

Post 01 Sep 2021, 16:58 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I'll follow along with this in case anyone has one that is actually built up and has put it through it's paces. I recently grabbed the IG 5wt blank and it's in line to get built. My initial impression of it though, is that it's more stout than my 8' Steffen 5/6 but slightly less so than my Echo BAG 7wt. Sooooo, we'll see. The nice thing about the IG blanks (speaking of the heavier weights now) is that they fight fish above their weight class. To put it in perspective, my 10wt IG had zero problem getting Albacore in super quick. Part of it is that I don't mess around and the other part is that I never felt as though it was super stressed. The 8wt also fights fish above it's weight class.

Post 01 Sep 2021, 17:53 • #3 
Master Guide
I built the 805. Seems like could be a 6 weight. It’s as described - moderate to fast. I was casting heavy flies such as the Grim Reaper, Hellgrammites and custom patterns with large brass eyes. The rod did well but seemed to lack a bit of soul. I built it as a trout rod but have only casting warmwater flies and netting smallmouth bass. I think it could be a good trout rod on Tailwaters or swift streams. It definitely has backbone.

New Topic Add Reply