It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:51

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Aug 2021, 08:43 • #1 
Master Guide
Hi Guys!
Who likes rods less than 6'6", which one of these short rods is your favorite, and would you be willing to share a photo/description of where you fish it?

I dont own a rod shorter than 6'6", and Ive only been in one fishing situation where a 7' rod was so long that fishing was practically impossible. I find that rods between 6'6" and 7'6", but most often 7' seem to do the trick even on pretty tiny streams. Im convinced that the really short rods are good tools for certain situations, I just cant think of a time Ive been in one of those situations. I know there are some "short rod enthusiasts" here! What do you all think?

Post 24 Aug 2021, 10:09 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I fish tight brushy places but these rods will also cast 40’ and handle bigger trout.The Scott F2 653 very fun and capable rod and my shortest is a 6’ Steffen 2/3 which I also use.I have a 6’6” Lamy which is a great pack rod but not as much fun as my other two........Aurelio

Post 24 Aug 2021, 10:36 • #3 
Master Guide
Awesome! Thanks! I have a 4wt cgr that I like for small stream bluegill and bass fishing, but it has seen a good bit of trout fishing as well. My 2wt SFG is one of my favorite rods for small stream trout. Ive never really found that either of these rods struggled with casting distance, mostly I feel that their limitation is more to do with mending and managing line on the water, especially when I want to be able to fish several different pockets or small runs from one place. Im sure that either would be great even on a medium or large stream so long as the currents are relatively uniform or slow but most trout water in Georgia is fast and high gradient.

Post 24 Aug 2021, 11:56 • #4 
Guide
My only "shorty" is a 6'6" Phillipson blank, custom wrap from the 50's or 60's.

I obtained it from a customer of my former shop Tightlines in Tucson, a true gentleman named Don Owen, in a trade..but he basically gave it to me.

Don was an attorney from the Buffalo, NY area and a WWII Army Air Force veteran, who fished the spring creeks of western NY state and the Catskills before moving west.

It casts a 4 modern wt line well, and I fish it on small streams here in AZ and New Mexico..last time for Gila trout here in the Pinaleno Mts., though many of our Arizona streams have taken a terrible beating by fires and subsequent flood events.

My reel is an Orvis English-made (probably J. Young) also given to me by a friend, that a machinist buddy fixed up by soldering the the clicker that had worn out.

ps: tried to upload a couple of photos, but have been unsuccessful so far

Last edited by Phil-a-Flex on 24 Aug 2021, 19:13, edited 2 times in total.

Post 24 Aug 2021, 11:57 • #5 
Sport
Back in the 70’s when I first learned to flyfish, I used a borrowed junky rod. Once I had enough money I bought a Fenwick 605. I was pretty much on my own and didn’t realize it was considered too short for big water. I used it for tiny streams up to rivers like the Deshutes and Metolius.
Even though I’ve used many different rods since then, the 605 is still a favorite.

Post 24 Aug 2021, 13:03 • #6 
Master Guide
I like to fish short rods and do most of my fishing with them even when a longer rod would be advantageous.

Some of the tiny brushy creeks I fish would be better served by long rods where dapping or just extending the fly to the spot would get the job done easier. But I like to cast the fly, so the shorter rod works to keep from hitting limbs on my back cast and when setting the hook, etc. Mainly those are the advantages I find with the shorter rod.

The main rods shorter that 6'6" that I fish are the Parametric 6'3" and Phillipson Master 6'0". Periodically I fish a bamboo rod built by Shane Gray which is sub-6' and is sweet.

I once had a Brusnell "Little Streamer" or some such name which was 5'3" and it worked well too.

Post 24 Aug 2021, 13:32 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Ironically, my first fly rod was a custom 5'0" 4wt one piece graphite built on a Lamiglass spinning rod blank. Short rods were all the rage at the time and I fished that rod everywhere including lakes and never thought anything of it until I expanded my then small quiver to include longer offerings.

In recent history, the rod that really got me hooked on glass is a Winston Retro 6’6” 3wt which along with a bamboo Orvis Flea (6’6” 2pc 4wt) handled my shortest rod needs well…

…until I ran across places like this where it isn’t just casting that causes a problem, it is also walking through the brush TRYING to get to the water:

In the case of the above stream, I struggled with my 6'6" Retro so the next day I called the Winston repair shop where I knew there was a new 5’0” 3wt Retro stashed in a corner. I pulled the trigger on that rod and later had Mike McFarland build me a 5’5” 3wt two tip (one slower than the other) and a 6’0” 3wt to use at that stream and places like this:

So after all of that my favorite SUB 6’6” rod is my 6”0” 2pc 3wt McFarland Spruce Creek (smooth blank) that Mike built me with NS ferrules. It is really a sweet rod and casts like a dream. I also have a one piece 5'1" 3/4wt rod built by Ed Shenk coincidentally also using a Lamiglass spinning rod blank that has a huge "cool" factor.

However, I always fish the longest rod I can get away with so the sub 6'6" stuff only gets used when something longer causes too much aggravation which is only at a select few places I visit to torture myself.

Post 25 Aug 2021, 07:12 • #8 
Master Guide
Aurelio and Phil-A-Flex,
it appears you both spend a good bit of time in high elevation southwester streams? Ive never fished this kind of water, but as soon as I get tired of Wyoming its very high on my list of places to visit. I take it that these streams are small and very tight. wild trout streams in Ga are often the same..

Clint,
I fished my first rod (7'3" 3 weight) all over the dang place without knowing the difference for quite a while. funny how that works, huh? Glad you are still enjoying your FF605, it seems like a lot of guys remember selling those with more than a little regret.

WestTex,
what kid of fishing are you doing? trout? warm water? are your streams typically smooth and flat, or pocket water? I do like a shorter rod even on larger streams when warm water fishing because normally they are smooth and getting a good drift is either easy or irrelevant.

Bamboozle,
you're pictures look the most like home to me. The second shot is very reminiscent of the one and only stream I just couldnt fish with a 7' rod. that day was a big part of my choice to pick up the SFG 2wt. Based on what you're saying, that may not be short enough!

This is my all time favorite stream, partly because of all of the reasons we like a stream but partly because I caught my first Ga Brook trout in this stream. I feel comfortable here with rods in the 6'6" to 7'6" range but feel that any longer or shorter would be Limiting.

A fishing lesson with my sister on said stream

The locals love it here..

There really is something special about small creeks and little native trout. Ill always be on board to go wading ankle deep in search of these little guys.

Post 25 Aug 2021, 09:58 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
BrookieBoy:

The 2nd stream I posted a picture of was taken at the mouth at the widest and most open spot on the entire stream. I actually had to walk backwards upstream using my back to push the rhododendron out of my way as walking with the rod tip forward was impossible and so was walking along the banks through the brush.

Coincidentally, it was also the first place I fished that 5'0" 3wt Retro I bought although other than a few practice casts in the big creek this dumps in to, in the "tunnels" it was all bow and arrow casts and other creative presentations like "throwing" my fly and and a handful of line into a pool. I caught fish, but it really wasn't fun and getting OUT and back to my car totally sucked.

Bottom line, I really don't like fishing rods that short as they have a lot of limitations, most notably the inability to keep any decent amounts of line off the water and they are not usually great casters, the exception being my 6'0" McFarland but that rod has metal ferrules which we chose in the hopes of increasing the swing weight and slowing down the rod which worked.

Fishing stuff shorter than 6' for me is more about saying I "did" versus saying I enjoyed it. Besides, I have two 6'6" rods I love and a slew of 7 footers that put a huge smile on my face so in my case, I'd rather fish where I can use that stuff as opposed to fishing where I can't.

Have fun!!

Post 25 Aug 2021, 14:41 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I have found that a rod that is at least 7 ft long serves me best on small streams. It gives me just enough reach that I can remain undetected when fishing pools and pocket water. My favorite is a Lamiglas 7 ft 4 wt. On one very small nearby stream, I do take my 6'6" Lamiglas rod because 7 ft is too long due to casting and backcasting obstacles. Should I need to us a 6 ft rod, I have a 6 ft, 5 wt Fenwick that I like a lot, but I generally find I can get away with a longer rod, so I do. I once had the 5'3" Fenwick but sold it because it was pretty much a toy.

Post 25 Aug 2021, 16:43 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I have several short rods in the 6' to 6'6" length range, ranging from 1 weight to 6 weight. The small stream I fish the most often is located in a nearby national recreation area. I fish there mostly for sunfish and small stream bass, but there are also channel catfish and carp. On occasion I have caught freshwater drum. I have a 6' 5/6 weight rod built from a Batson Forecast glass blank, on which I have landed a 9 pound carp in that stream. I try to rotate my rods occasionally so they get used, so my short rod rotation will usually include: 6'3" Mountainbrook 2/3 weight, a 6'2" CGR 2 weight, a Hardy Sirrus Sintrix 6' 2/3 weight, and a 6' 1/2 weight built on an Olde English Fly Shop blank.

Larry

Post 25 Aug 2021, 17:51 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I do like the 6'2" 2wt CGR (3-section) quite a bit for some of the brushy coastal streams around here. I picked up a Moonlit 2wt 6'6" (4-section) which packs down smaller though, which can be quite handy when thrashing through thick brush. On these kinds of creeks a 30' cast is unusual -- more likely I am going to be bow-and-arrow or roll casting or other wacky "do what you have to do" maneuvres.

The shortest rod I personally own is the 5'9" 3wt CGR, which I don't use much. It's kind of a novelty for me; fun to say I own all the CGR's ... sort of like being able to say "I own all the (fill in the blank theme) Lego kits" :)

Post 25 Aug 2021, 18:21 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Once upon a time I had a 5'3" Fenwick and a 5ft REI Brush Creek 4pc, both super cute, and much like Paveglass, I found em kinda useless.

I have a 6.5ft Diawa 6pc and a 6.5ft Wright McGill 4pc that are just about as short as I think I need. In years past I have argued that longer is better, this is the first year I have fished the 6.5 rods much and have changed my mind a bit, they are pretty functional and easier to deal with it tight spots and heavy brush.

Post 25 Aug 2021, 23:16 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
It's rare that I use my less than 6'6" fly rods. I like my 6ft Featherlight as a really small stream streamer rod but it's like owning 11 Iron in golf....very esoteric to specific situations on small water. Dito on my 5ft Featherlight. It's only useful or even fishable on very small, tight brushed streams in low flow conditions. Otherwise a longer rod is always preferred.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 07:45 • #15 
Master Guide
Paveglass - I think you and I think much the same on this topic.

Odonata - your trip reports always make me wish.. I dont know what they make me wish. I want to go do that! there isnt much backcountry in the east that compares to what seems to be common place for you. how do you like the moonlit 2wt? Have you posted a review anywhere? I also have a 2wt CGR but it wouldnt load, even with a 6 wt line so now I use it to wind backing onto new reels so I dont drag backing across the guides in my other rods. I guess mine is a lemon? I guess I forgot about it completely when I wrote this thread.

Majicwrench - I really enjoy fishing my shorter glass rods. The material really lends itself to that. I seldom cast more than 20 feet, there are always trees and bushes 6 feet behind me, and if I can get good drifts with a shorter rod then thats what I want. I just dont find that a rod shorter than 7' is often the best tool for my situations.

it looks like the general consensus (with several welcome outliers) is that 6'6" - 7' is about the end of the line for general use fly rods, and anything beyond is almost a tool of necessity (or pleasure) for really unusual fishing situations

Post 26 Aug 2021, 08:26 • #16 
Master Guide
BrookieBoy,
A 2wt that won’t load with a 6wt line? Would that be a CGT rather than a CGR? My limited experience with Cabelas glass is CGRs are very soft, but I have a CGT 4wt that is stiff to the point that I’ve never fished it.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 08:51 • #17 
Master Guide
Nope :( its a CGR. It came in a cardboard box, fully assembled with no rod tube which is not how my CGR 4wt arrived. Im not sure if its just a lemon, or perhaps it was "factory direct from china" or some kind of odds and ends production run from a different factory?? I dont know, I spent an appropriate amount of time wondering about it (considering I spent $40), and now I dont. Its the only rod I have that is a "tomato stake". I may buy more CGR rods, but not by mail. but thats a topic for a different thread.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 10:16 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Yikes, sound like your 2wt CGR is a lemon :( I would loan you mine, but I suspect the postage would be crazy.

I actually have two 2wt Lunar's : the factory build, and a custom one that Pablo of Bejuco Flats Fly Co. built for me from a blank, which I like a lot more (pics on Rod Photos section somewhere). I use them with WF3F lines, similar to what I use on the 2wt CGR. I think I've posted trip reports where I used both the factory rod and the custom rod.

May 2020, factory Lunar 2wt
Here I think the reel is loaded with a WF3F Airflo River & Stream I found on closeout at Sierra Trading Post :)

June 2021, custom Lunar 2wt

July 2018, 2wt CGR

Pablo is based in Puerto Rico (so quick USPS shipping) and has an ebay storefront, so he makes it easy. You can choose hardware, thread wraps, etc.

I used to live back east, so I know what you are saying ... But I have fond memories of western NC and northern GA, and wish I'd been a fly fisher at the time I Iived in the area.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 15:32 • #19 
Guide
I only own one sub 6'6" glass rod, a Speedline Oracle 5'7" #0 S-glass which I use for catching juvenile kahawai (Arripis trutta) on the Tauranga Harbour flats in New Zealand's North Island. A great little fun rod and what it lacks in casting distance, it makes up for when you finally hook up. I would happily go fishing all day for just one kahawai on that wee rod.

I own three glass rods that are 6'6", a Speedline Oracle #1 and a Speedline Oracle #2, both S-glass. Both these rods are used on the flats fishing for kahawai and they perform well. During a memorable session, I landed two kahawai, one 4 3/4 pounds and the other 5 1/4 pounds, both on a 3.0 pound leader. My third 6'6" glass is a Limited Edition #3 Airflo Ambush that was also made in #4. This rod while marketed as glass, has some carbon in the butt section to increase hoop strength. It is a great little performer on kahawai taking fish up to 5.0 pounds.

I am sorry that I lack the technological ability to post photos. Cheers

Post 26 Aug 2021, 15:52 • #20 
Guide
Mudfish, after using that Googly thing on my computer I appreciate what you're talking about. Given that it is saltwater fishing for a fast-looking species, what kind of lines are you using on those rigs to avoid occasional problems with the wind?

Post 26 Aug 2021, 17:57 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Para/Metric 6'3", 6' (2oz) Fenwick, 6' Phillipson Fly Fox.

Would like to find a mint 6'6" Phillipson, but lately prices have been way more than I'm willing to pay.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 18:34 • #22 
Guide
PampasPete. I don't have wind problems because being out with on the flats, there is always an area that I can get a fly out to, often with "wind assist." By back casting, there is even more water open to me. The calm days are always nice for easy casting, but the downside is that the fish are a lot more cautious. A windy day allows success at short casting range. I just use WF lines, often cheap imports and these do work well for me. My reels are set up with 150 metres of 15 pound braid backing which I find sufficient. I have yet to be spooled by a kahawai when using this amount of backing. I fish my #0 weight with a WF1F and it handles the line perfectly for me. The rod manufacturer states the rod will handle lines from 30 to 75 grains and I find the sweet spot to be the WF1F which is the same line I use on my 6'6" #1. Cheers

Post 26 Aug 2021, 18:41 • #23 
Master Guide
Here are pics of places where I fish my shorter rods:

Post 26 Aug 2021, 20:48 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
WestTex nice short rod water.......Aurelio

Post 27 Aug 2021, 06:39 • #25 
Master Guide
Odonata,
Come back sometime, bring a backpack and we will hit the smokies! Thanks for the for photos and info on the moonlit rods. very interesting, sub 7' glass rods in 4 pieces. hmmm...

WestTex - good grief, that's beautiful! thanks for the photos

Mudfish - those look like what people in the southern united states call sea trout, but after some googling it seems to be a coincidence. It doesnt seem they are related. Ive never heard of short 0-3wt rods being used in salt water, thats wild! what kind of flies are those guys taking that you can cast on lines that light? in this corner of the world most folks think of a 6 wt as being the lightest rod suitable for salt water use with 8-9 wts being more common.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply