It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:53

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Aug 2021, 10:18 • #1 
Master Guide
First outing with the rod. Lots of floaters and river rats. Was able to move into a stretch of creek where felt soles are a must. So, was able to enjoy listening to the creek and breeze.

Since I’ve had a few folks wonder about a good review of this rod and even sent me messages, figured I’d give my five cents. I’ve had a number of modern and vintage glass rods and this one is just as NFC describes it - moderate to fast. More like graphite fast. One of the flies used today was a Grim Reaper. The Reaper wasn’t casted as far as I could on my 6 wt Blue Halo but after the first few fish caught, was not surprised the rod could cast it well. Generally, with most glass rods, I’m satisfied with it. This rod was a bit frustrating. BUT, I did buy it for trout and partly, it was due to the moderate to fast action. I did enjoy my Epic 580 on our local Tailwaters but wanted something with a little more control and faster action. However, it kinda reminds me of the Cabela’s 5 wgt CGt.

Even with a 12” Smallie (largest of the day), I can tell almost right way if I made a good build or rod purchase. The Epic 580 was a blast my first day out catching no bass over 10 or 11”. Even the Epic 686 and Blue Halo 6 wgt are more responsive and smoother action.

I lawn casted 5 wgt, 5/6 wgt and 6 wgt lines. It was lined with 6 WF and casted a Grim Reaper well.

I guess the true test will be in the Tailwaters. I was going to build it for late Fall and Winter but I had a knee injury. Doc tried to heal initially with therapy but ended up with surgery. Think they were dragging feet due to Covid. So, that’s why I spent 10 months on it.

Some photos from today. I expect a fun fight with these fish even on my Epic 686 but not so much today. 6 bass caught. All between 10-12” and in a swift section of creek flowing about 250-300 CFS as best my guess.

Post 08 Aug 2021, 10:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like fun water and a good build. Hope it ends up matching the intended role well.

Post 10 Aug 2021, 07:06 • #3 
Guide
Oh, beautiful fish and water! Thank you for sharing!

Post 10 Aug 2021, 10:14 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice !

New Topic Add Reply