It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:49

New Topic Add Reply
Sierra by phone
Post 27 Jul 2021, 12:00 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I recently noticed that Shane (aka Graywolf Products and Services) had a Trout Smith glass spinning rod for sale in the 7' length, and decided that I needed a new toy for Sierra lakes :)

I did some test casting in the casting pools near my home, alongside a fast action graphite ultralight rod, with the same reel loaded with 4# nanofil. I could not get quite the same distance with the glass rod as the graphite, but I enjoyed the action, which is rather soft and flexy. Should be fine for most of the stuff I do.

After taking a day off work and getting my usual oh dark thirty start, driving across the central valley, etc. I realized that I forgot to pack the waterproof camera I usually bring for backpacking trips. Oh well, my budget Android smartphone and a ziploc baggie would have to do. No macro mode or telephoto, but 13 megapixel sensor and HDR. I'd probably live ...

The trailhead is at the end of a 4WD road, which itself is off a deteriorating one lane twisty road that is only open in the summer, and I managed to get started hiking around 11am-ish. The trail parallels a creek for several miles, and then climbs away, joining the PCT/JMT.

I was huffing and puffing as usual. I'd last been up this trail a few years back in autumn. There was some cloud buildup as morning gave way into afternoon, and a slight chance of t-storms.

I stopped to look at the creek and pools a few times along the PCT/JMT, but didn't stop to fish. I'd brought my Orvis Superfine Glass 4wt in addition to the Trout Smith rod, and up here it was more tenkara rod territory. Anyway, I had a ways to go and wasn't moving as fast as I'd like.

Around 5 or 6pm I reached the upper meadow at ~9500' and camped. The mosquitoes came out, as expected this close to the creek, but were not so numerous that I needed repellent. It was not super cold overnight. I slept like a rock, and woke up not especially early.

I stayed on the trail for about 100 more yards, crossed the creek, and then headed cross-country up into the forest. I had unfinished business from a few years back.

This time, I was in the lower right corner of the above picture instead, and hadn't already climbed a thousand feet :) I followed a stream up through the forest to a meadow.

The creek here had fish, probably goldens. The mosquitoes had found me again, and I continued up. Gradually the terrain opened, and I had expansive views of the Sierra crest.

It was not far to the lake, just under 10700'.

I could see right away that the golden trout in this lake were plentiful and active. I first got out the 4wt and cast a few hoppers and had a few strikes, but then decided to try out the Trout Smith spinning rod. I'd never actually caught a golden trout on a spinning rod. It had just never occurred to me before :)

The rod cast 1/12 oz kastmasters quite well (I prefer to replace the treble hooks with single hooks and crush the barb). I caught a few more, and noted the growing cloud cover and increasing breeze. Time to move on ... after a short amount of cross-country hiking I came to the next lake.

I scrambled down to the shore and noticed a few small drops. Nothing serious yet ...

The lake was pretty and scenic, but I was not seeing any sign of fish. I'd read reports of goldens here, too, but it was a completely different story here than the first lake. I figured I'd take some test casts with the Trout Smith and see if there were any follows of the lures.

In the meantime, it started drizzling and I donned rain gear. I was sure I'd start hearing thunder next, but instead the rain stopped after about a half hour. Fishing came up empty. Sometimes the promise of fish does not equal catching any :) Such is life.

I continued on cross-country towards the last lake of the day. This required some more interesting navigation, around various ridges and traversing. By 5pm I was at the lake and ready to set up camp, and the afternoon breeze rippled the surface of the water. I was again not seeing much sign of fish.

I started treating water for the evening, and the wind calmed down. I was starting to see rises. Time to break out the Trout Smith.

I fished a bit more, had dinner, then fished until the twilight had almost gone out of the sky a few hours before the waning almost-full moon came out. There were a few mosquitoes during the evening here too, but not so bad.

The morning was calm. I fished my SFG after breakfast, and caught a rainbow on a hopper, with enough other strikes to make me want to return sometime. I packed up and got moving at the crack of ten :) The wind was again picking up, and clouds gathering.

Descending from the lake was interesting. I'd read that at one time there was a trail up here, but I saw no sign of it. I descended into a meadow where the lake outlet was joined by other streams, and saw fish. Goldens ? Brookies ? I again didn't stop to fish. Instead I followed the creek drainage down to another small lake at around 9700'.

I stopped for lunch, and watched the brookies. They were numerous here, colorful and unafraid. The lake did not look all that deep, and was marshy around the edges. I could start to feel the light touch of small raindrops again.

I had a vague idea of how to get back down from here, at least from looking at the topo. In retrospect I should have looked more closely at how the old trail was supposedly routed, because I completely botched the descent :) I saw ducks / cairns, but these were likely placed by someone who knew even less about where they were going than myself. I traversed for a mile or two, encountered huge talus fields, saw cliffs, tried various descent routes, and eventually backtracked up and east. I made my way down to 8600' into impenetrable thickets of cottonwood. Not that way. Back up, traverse east. Eventually I found some granite slabs. And in the meantime it started drizzling and then raining ... walking down granite slabs in the rain, now that is just good fun :)

But instead of escalating into a full blown thunderstorm, the drizzle petered out again. I made my way down the slabs, noting a pile of horse dung. Soon I was down at the creek, near an old horse camp, about a half mile upstream from where the trail is routed away from the creek.

There were pools here, time for the SFG. I rigged it up and tossed out a purple haze. The fish were not at all picky.

The fun part was now getting back to the trail, on the other side of the creek about a half mile downstream. I naively figured I'd continue downstream and then find a place to cross. That plan was shot when I encountered that same impenetrable cottonwood forest that blocked my progress before. Hmm. Backtrack up the granite, find crossing. Nope. After muddling around a bit more I found a crossing upstream, and scrambled up the granite, eventually reaching the trail. Another destination saved for a future trip ...

Just like the last time I'd been on this trail it was early evening and I still had miles to go. I made it back to my Subaru at a quarter to eight, and back home well after midnight. I was afraid my work productivity would suffer the next day, but as it turns out my boss first son had been born over the weekend, so he was otherwise occupied :)

Re: Sierra by phone
Post 27 Jul 2021, 12:28 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Fantastic photos and a great trip. It looks like you were able to avoid the smoke.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 13:10 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks for sharing! I thoroughly enjoy reading your hardcore fishing excursions as I used to run ultras and am fascinated with the style of fishing you do. Keep them coming. Great photos!

Post 27 Jul 2021, 13:27 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Another awesome report!

Post 27 Jul 2021, 14:31 • #5 
Master Guide
wow, what an incredible trip. Thanks for the photos. I would love to be able to do something like that some time.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 15:05 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice.

"lost trails" are great fun to look for, though often not fun to travel :)

I have lots of fun old spin tackle, I just never grab it. Someday!

Thanks for taking us along.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 20:00 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Outstanding Terrain ! Super Trip Report, Thanks !!

Pecos

Post 28 Jul 2021, 08:00 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
KOOL!

Post 28 Jul 2021, 08:46 • #9 
Guide
Awesome! Maybe one day..

Post 28 Jul 2021, 09:46 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks all.

Re: smoke -- there aren't any big active fires this far south (yet, knock on wood). I did have to drive through some areas that burned in last year's Creek fire. The big active fires so far are in the north part of the state. But we still have August and September to make it through...

This seems to be the year of the small custom builders for me. I placed an order for a ********* 8'3" 5wt from Dusty a while back.

I actually don't use spinning gear much, except at the beach. Or if I'm just planning to catch lake brookies for the skillet during the "midsummer slump" that some of these lakes seem to have. A lot of brookie lakes get overpopulated and there is actually a CA DFG regulation that allows for thinning them out.

Also, one of my old climbing friends has started to show an interest in fishing. I figure when the time comes I can start him out with something easy, like spin fishing. He and his wife have done some pretty hardcore hikes and trips; they've both summited Denali, for example.

Post 28 Jul 2021, 10:12 • #11 
Master Guide
I glad your buddy is showing interest in fishing. You certainly seem to do the “Denali” type fishing trips! I was there 25 years and 35 lbs ago. I need to work on those 35 now since im incapable to do the other anymore.

Thanks again for sharing.

Post 28 Jul 2021, 11:53 • #12 
Master Guide
Great pics and thanks for the write up. I have my dads old are sick Voyageur spin rod and I have my old Mitchell 301. Maybe it’s time to break it out. I’ll think about modifying a few old Super Duper with single barbless hooks.

Regarding cameras, I mostly just carry my water-resistant iPhone 8 anymore. Pic quality seems to be fine and I end up with fewer things to carry…

Post 28 Jul 2021, 13:10 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice and congrats on the new rod!

Post 29 Jul 2021, 09:04 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again.

Yes, the moto E series is also somewhat water-resistant; it can supposedly cope with light rain. But I normally don't bring my "good" phone on backpacking trips -- there is never any reception, and my waterproof / shockproof camera will withstand a lot more abuse. Plus it has a larger lens, is a lot better in macro mode (wildflowers, insects, etc), has better zoom range, and so on. Smartphone cameras have come a long way, though, and for many people it is all they need or want. Nothing wrong with that.

New Topic Add Reply