It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:49

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Jul 2021, 07:43 • #1 
Master Guide
Hi Guys! This is my first post. I had a great backpacking trip to a hike in only stream in GSMNP in May. My FF70-4 was the star player for the trip and without this forum I would never have known about old Fenwicks or martin reels. So I want to Share photos as well as the beginning of my journey to understanding vintage glass a little better than before.

I ordered A FF756-4 earlier this year after I couldn’t stand the curiosity anymore based on reading on this site. I was enamored with it very quickly. With a peach DT6 and a 67SS it makes a great mid power trout rod, mine seems to be well suited for big foam bugs, heavy weighted dropper nymphs, and smaller trout streamers. Ive even done some lighter small stream nymphing with it. With a scientific anglers wf6f frequency magnum and a 67SS the rod becomes a great choice for creek/kayak bass and maybe mousing for trout.

Even though I couldn’t be more pleased with the FF756-4, I knew I wanted a 4-piece Fenwick for small stream trout fishing with more traditional flies (12-18 dries, 16-18 nymphs, etc). I wanted a more delicate, softer, slower rod with a more supple tip. I found a FF70-4 in excellent condition on Ebay and got it on the way to the house.

The FF70-4 casts every trout line I have between 4 and 6 weight acceptably (rio creek 4wt, Cortland peach dt 5 and 6, rio gold 5wt, rio gold 6wt, sci ang vpt 6wt and sci ang frequency magnum 6wt) but really excels with the rio gold 6wt line. I was initially disappointed because I thought I wanted it to be a 4-5, not a solid 6wt. Its comical now how wrong I was.

After fishing the rod for 2 full days in a trout paradise (remote GSMNP stream) I caught fish from 4” to 14”+ including a WNC slams of wild fish both days. The rod is plenty delicate for 6x tippets with angry 14” Trout and is also supple enough to keep the little guys from slipping off of barbless hooks. The truly excellent thing about the rod is that it casts larger flies with ease. For instance, I fished most of the 2nd day with a size 10 royal Wolff with a euro style 16 jig nymph hanging off the back. That would have been a “lot of fly” for my 3 wt Douglas rod to push through the air but the FF70-4 is quite at home doing this. Its not as capable of pushing foam and bass stuff through the air as the FF756-4 but is perfect for summer time small creek fishing where the fish want the biggest thing they can get into their mouths. It casts well with just a foot of line out all the way through the longest cast youll ever make on a stream you would bring a 7’ rod to.

So – to wrap it up the FF70-4 is a beautiful caster out to about 35ft, it has a very soft tip for the largest and smallest of fish, it will cast a size 10 Wolff or similar with a lightly weighted dropper all day, and does just fine with smaller dries as well. It’s the perfect small stream rod, especially for summer time. I just couldn’t be any happier. I would have never figured any of this out without you guys!

Post 27 Jul 2021, 07:53 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
KOOL! Now that's trout fishing. But, if you ever want to separate yourself form that FF704 let me know. :)

Post 27 Jul 2021, 08:15 • #3 
Master Guide
Well, its coming with me to Kalispell next week. if a Grizz gets me in Glacier, its yours. Whats really going on out there hatch wise? hoppers? golden stones? caddis? how big are the hoppers? I normally like to tie all of my own flies but Ive been short on time lately so I only tied enough to "cover the bases". unusual/seasonal stuff like huge hoppers or stoneflies will be purchased when I arrive. Im a religious user of a stream thermometer (being from Ga, pretty much every trout stream needs a pre fishing temp measurement in the summer). Im worried about water temps at lower elevation in MT, but Im hopeful that things in the park will be a little cooler.

Id love to tell you guys the other rod is glass too, but its a Douglas upstream 906. both like the same line and reel making them good travel buddies. One for small creeks and the other for "the rest".

Post 27 Jul 2021, 09:24 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
First off, I am pleased you didn't try to make the rod throw a 3 or 4wt. Not sure why people get hung up using the lightest possible line. As you noted, a 6wt is soooo much more versatile.

I have a 315? (is that the number?) which is the metal ferruled 7ft 4pc Fenwick, and it is a 6wt for me too. A member here gifted it to me years ago.

I'm west of Glacier, hoppers are big, and the cutts like big stuff. My go to fly is just a #10 EHC. I'm not sure where you are planning to fish, the park can be challenging, and new rules for entering the park too. Fire danger is extreme, so be aware.
There's a member closer to Glacier than I, hopefully he will see the post.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 09:32 • #5 
Sport
Great report and man I love those brookies! Wish you the best of luck in Glacier. As stated above it can be challenging for sure.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 09:48 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Enjoyed the water and fish pictures. Have fun in Montana, have never fished there !

Post 27 Jul 2021, 09:57 • #7 
Master Guide
Thanks Guys! Its a family trip and we will be lucky to have Folks in their mid 80s with us. As a result "backcountry" style fishing will be kept to a minimum, maybe 1-2 days. Im looking forwards to fishing some of the lakes in the park and any streams that are accessible from the lake or trail. The lakes are an experience we dont get in the south east. My fishing goals will be completely satisfied if I catch just one west slope cut of any size, anything more is just a bonus. We know some locals who will likely take us out on the flathead for a float ( I dont know which fork, or where) and Ill fish if the water temps and regulations allow for it. I think there may be opportunity for me and one other fly fisher to sneak out early in the mornings so long as we fish close to town (Kalispell) and get back in time for breakfast!

I bet the 315 is sweet! what do you use it for? Ill tie some jumbo EHC up then! I have tied caddis imitations between 12-16, various parachute flies between 10-18, some royal wolffs, a variety of beadhead nymphs 16-18, and still need to knock out some yellow sally stimulators. when you say hoppers are big, is that a 1" bug? 2"? more? we did manage to get car passes for the park. I have never been able to tie a decent wooly bugger, so buggers, hoppers, Giant stones, and maybe some other choice flies will be purchased when we arrive.

will my "mr. hankey" mice be useful? fingers crossed for an early morning surprise.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 11:11 • #8 
Master Guide
Fenwicks are the best.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 11:12 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
As you drive into the park from the west you will see within a half mile a road to your LEFT for Quarter Circle bridge, take road a mile or so to the bridge, little parking spot, where creek runs into Flathead, fish the river, always a few nice cutts hangin around and sometimes you can see a big bull trout below bridge. Easy for the whole gang to get down to the creek, the river is more of a battle. Then you will come to Lake McDonald, road goes right along it's edge, lots of nice, easy spots to get everybody out, play in the water, is amazingly beautiful. And it has cutts that cruise the shoreline, especially in the eve. Not many, don't expect fast fishing. Across the lake is Fish Creek Campground, off the shore there is also fair fishing for cruising cutts, and I have caught a few lake trout there too. Again, easy, picnic tables, nice shoreline.
Are you coming into park from west or east?

Last edited by majicwrench on 27 Jul 2021, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 11:22 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Great post and excellent review of the rod........Aurelio

Post 27 Jul 2021, 11:30 • #11 
Master Guide
Thanks so much for the recommendations! we will come into the park from the west side. We will be sure to check those spots out! We will also do at least one full or nearly full day hike in to a Lake. Lake selection will be up to the whole group, 4 fisherman and 2 non-fisherman. 3-4 miles one way is probably the limit for the hike but from what Ive seen online, there is no shortage of options.

would I be correct in assuming that most fish in most lakes are opportunistic feeders who will eat anything that looks buggy, given decent presentation?

what is considered good etiquette for avoiding harassing bull trout? Just dont fish streamers in places they may be?

sorry.. this turned into a Montana Q/A session rather quickly. On the bright side, it looks like Ill owe you guys pictures sometime in mid August!

Post 27 Jul 2021, 11:45 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Please note I edited direction above.
Cutts will take a lot of diff stuff. No need to go tiny, no need to go silly on tipped strength or length. In the heat of a sunny day I will usually tie on some vague #10 or 12 weighted nymph. In the eve something on top is more fun.
Don't worry about the bull trout. If you should accidently get one, just let it go.

If you go down the road on the east side, the big lake down there (dang, forget name) also has some places to fish the shore, brookies cruising it.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 11:53 • #13 
Master Guide
Congratulations Brookieboy on your 70-4 and thanks for sharing a detailed trip report!
Glad you love the rod! I like my sample most with a 6wt line.

Majicwrench Im happy to hear you have one of those 315-4s. I have one also and use a 5wt on it. I need to take it for a spin. Love those pumpkin/maroon colored fenwicks.

Last edited by fishhuntmike on 27 Jul 2021, 20:36, edited 2 times in total.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 11:56 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
That’s a fun rod, and well suited to a lot of our fishing. Always a good idea to have two rods on a trip, since stuff can happen and you hate to have flown out with great expectations and then miss a day’s fishing getting to, and dealing with, a fly shop or something. I’ll usually have rods a weight size different for different conditions/places, but 6wt is wonderfully useful out west. Just a way a of saying, maybe take a second reel. In fact, I’ve had a reel failure on a western trip, but never a rod problem, and it was nice to have another option handy.
Have fun.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 12:14 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
You will be fishing right in my area. I've been out of town for most of the summer, but this is my impression of the local situation. There are a lot of people visiting--numbers continue to set records every year. Don't expect to find a lot of solitude unless you can get far off the beaten path. That also means that Glacier Park has instituted a ticketed entry system for this year on the Going-to-the-Sun Road, and if you don't have a ticket, you have to arrive before 6 AM or after 5 PM (reports are that the line is a couple miles long or more at 5). The other roads shut down early in the morning too, as they fill up. With Covid-19 limiting the NPS hiring numbers, they have even lower thresholds than usual.

Smoke in the Flathead Valley is bad. We have had a lot of lingering smoke, so keep an eye on air quality for members of your group. Hiking while breathing fine particulate matter is no fun and can cause long-term health complications.

All waters are lower and warmer than usual, but the water temps should still be in the tolerable range for trout. The Middle Fork of the Flathead should be great fishing right now, and it's low enough that you should be able to wade in places that aren't accessible until later in the summer. The same goes for North Fork, but there is a serious fire near Polebridge to watch out for. It's dumping a lot of smoke into the park in that area. You should be fine for day trips if you want to chance the smoke, and there are lots of places to wade the North Fork below Polebridge that are worth checking out. These two forks are the best places to fish for cutthroat if you like moving water. I really love them, and they're a lot of fun to fish.

Fishing in the park is complicated, as our streams on the west side aren't very productive anymore. The invasive lake trout have decimated cutthroat populations on the west side, and the trout winter in the lakes, so streams that used to fish well don't anymore. The big lakes are in the same boat--if there are lake trout, the bull trout and cutthroat populations have seriously declined. The bonus is that lake trout taste delicious, so feel free to catch a bunch (I recommend jigging) and take them home for supper. There are several good, smaller lakes to check out for trout, and I recommend the book by Russ Schneider on fishing the park. It looks like he came out with a new edition this year, and I'll have to pick it up soon. I have the previous version, and it's served me very well. Honestly, though, the best lake fishing is outside of the park. Plus, the west side has a lot of timber, and it can be difficult to find places clear enough for a back cast. There are numerous lakes in the area well worth checking out.

I don't want to downplay how difficult this summer has been for us, but I love fishing and hiking (and hunting) here. I hope you have a fantastic trip.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 12:14 • #16 
Master Guide
Canvsbk, Odonata, Panfish74, aurelio corso, fishhuntmike,
Im glad you all enjoyed the write up and photos. Im rapidly developing a fenwick problem that Im not sure how to solve... and now I want a bass/surf/trout streamer rod.

majicwrench,
Thanks for the updated directions and advice. I always worry so much about prepping and figuring things out before going on a trip like this.. but its a vacation! things always seem to work out with little or no trouble once I get there. I suppose what Im saying is, thanks for the advice!

upstream,
I have really labored with the decision to leave my Douglas upstream 733 at home. It really is a wonderful rod that is capable of so much more than most people would suspect. It was the only rod I fished for a several day long trip to the Pindale region of Wyoming last September. The temptation to bring a rod that isn't a 6 weight is immense. However, the only thing the Douglas 3wt may do better than the ff70-4 is dries size 18 and down. I just dont think tiny dries are going to be the undoing of this trip if I dont bring the 3wt. now, as for reels I am teetering on bringing the reel with the 6wt vpt line (sorta like a Wolff triangle taper). that would get me two full out fits, both rods like both lines and both reels, so everything is interchangeable. Plus, I think the vpt may be useful on still water. and thats only a little more "stuff" to lug around. I like to think of myself as a "reformed" over packer, especially in my outdoors pursuits. "Am I really going to use/carry this" echos in my head a lot. its always good to have a backup though! Im sure we will have a blast! Thanks!

Post 27 Jul 2021, 14:16 • #17 
Guide
Great report on Smokies. I dont get to fish there much, but it's great. A tiny bit too far for me from Atlanta for a day trip.

I see no Fenwick problem. Yet. Get back to us when you have 4 or 5 of the same rod and still watch for them on ebay. That's maybe closer to problem stage. Full disclosure of my self interest in the definition of problem stage: i have 3 FF79's and still look for more. That's one each to keep in MT and in GA, plus a spare, but then i sorta need a spare in both spots right? Plus perhaps another to give away in case the need should arise on short notice. And so forth.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 14:17 • #18 
Master Guide
Glacier Rambler -
Holy cow! Thanks for the detailed advice. we were lucky enough to get passes in advance for going to the sun road. Im sure it will still be a bit of a hassle though. We will be mindful of smoke. hopefully this rash of summer forest fires will end this year. We will happily eat Lakers! I generally release trout where they cause no harm but I also know how good they are smoked. I received a copy of Russ Schneider's book for my birthday in May and have skimmed a good portion of it, will read it more completely on the flight. it does seem to be an incredibly well written resource. thanks for your advice! all of the fisherman in the group are trying our best to stay realistic about our expectations this year but Im sure the trip will be incredible no matter what. Respecting the resource is at the forefront of our minds especially in these trying times.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 15:59 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
wonderful rod and just the right reel for it too.. nice !
I use that same reel on a SF75-5 spin/fly combo rod. Also have a FF756-4 and a SF70-4. Unfortunately the SF70-4 isn't a very good fly rod, so I may need a FF70-4..

BrookieBoy wrote:
The FF70-4 casts every trout line I have between 4 and 6 weight acceptably (rio creek 4wt, Cortland peach dt 5 and 6, rio gold 5wt, rio gold 6wt, sci ang vpt 6wt and sci ang frequency magnum 6wt) but really excels with the rio gold 6wt line. I was initially disappointed because I thought I wanted it to be a 4-5, not a solid 6wt. Its comical now how wrong I was.

that was exactly my experience with the FF756-4, thought I wanted a 5wt instead, but really I didn't ;-)
Because it's glass and not stiff stiff graphite, the 6wt is perfectly fun on smaller fish while still being able to throw a larger fly and in the wind.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 18:10 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
[quote="BrookieBoy"]Well, its coming with me to Kalispell next week. if a Grizz gets me in Glacier, its yours.

Excellent! I'm bet'en on da G-Bear. :)

Anyway, yea, Hoppers, Green Drakes, Golden Stones, Little Yellow Sally Stones, PMD's and do not come here without Big Black Ants!!!

Post 27 Jul 2021, 19:19 • #21 
Sport
Nice rod and fish.
Anyone see the FF70-6 that went for auction recently. Beauty of a rod. Might have been in that one if I wasn't busy sniping another beautiful Fenwick.

Love these rods.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 19:26 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
I was watching that one, I thought it would go for more. Neat old rod, neat story.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 19:32 • #23 
Sport
It was a cool story.
I would have taken that thing deep into Seneca Back Country and had a blast

Post 27 Jul 2021, 20:02 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Great Rod and Trip Report! Thanks !!

Pecos

Post 27 Jul 2021, 22:07 • #25 
Master Guide
Nice report and great looking fish, especially that second brookie. One of my most memorable fishing/camping trips was being dropped off by boat where one of the GSMNP streams dumps into a lake. The four of us fished our way about 6 miles upstream over 3 full days without seeing another fisherman. Looks like you weren’t far from the stream we fished.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply