It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:03

New Topic Add Reply
October trip.
Post 24 Jul 2021, 00:03 • #1 
Hello folks. I’ve got a couple weeks off in October and plan on taking a trip. Problem is, I’m not sure where to go. I’m in Texas, but plan on chasing trout and not sure where I should plan a trip that time of year. Anyone have any good area recommendations? I haven’t been many places, so I’m pretty open to visiting anywhere. Thanks folks, hopefully this is the right area for this question.

Re: October trip.
Post 24 Jul 2021, 07:28 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Rio grande and the Red River in north N.M........Aurelio

Post 24 Jul 2021, 08:14 • #3 
Piscator
October is wonderful fishing Everywhere. Fall bite is on, salt migration and spawning, simple hatches.
Aurelio is spot-on with NM/CO border.
Made that trip more than a few times, though a couple of times we were snowed off the mountains.

Post 24 Jul 2021, 08:42 • #4 
Sport
Ditto on NM. Just made my first trip into northern NM from Texas as well, and I am quite enchanted with all of the great water. Headed back asap!

Post 24 Jul 2021, 12:30 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I’ll echo that October is wonderful just about everywhere. It’s my favorite time in the southern Blue Ridge. For someone in Texas, northern NM seems like an automatic, but pretty much wherever you can get to easily should be good. I’d add the caveat that, especially if talking about the northern Rockies and late October, you probably want to have a plan to make a quick adjustment in case of bad weather.

Post 24 Jul 2021, 17:14 • #6 
Master Guide
I think I’m heading to the North Fork of the Flathead in Oct-Nov time frame ….

Post 24 Jul 2021, 17:29 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Pay close attention to the fire reports. The Hay Creek Fire is looking like it may blow up near Polebridge right now. If we don’t get precipitation until late fall like the last few years, it may burn until then. The cool fall nights will help slow it down, but the last two big fires along Lake McDonald didn’t go out until November. I could still smell the last one smoldering in places even in January when skiing around the lake.

Post 25 Jul 2021, 20:36 • #8 
Guide
Watch the water levels in Montana. MT and YNP are on hoot owl restrictions. No telling at this point what this means for fall fishing.

Post 26 Jul 2021, 16:34 • #9 
Master Guide
The notheast could be fun. Maine for landlocks and brooks, Catskills for Browns, West Branch of the Delaware to curse at large fish.

Post 26 Jul 2021, 17:44 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
If you're going to drive, NM/CO is fantastic. If you're going to fly, Flying into SLC and fishing your way up to Yellowstone and the Madison sounds like a plan. There is enough fishing between those locations to keep you busy for a lifetime.

New Topic Add Reply