It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:56

New Topic Add Reply
Warm water rod
Post 23 Jul 2021, 14:53 • #1 
Evening all,

I'm currently in the market for a warm water rod (mainly predators) that I'd like to use for bass, tiger fish, carp etc.

I was looking at having an epic bandit built, but I know guys rave about the echo BAG as well. Any input would be appreciated!

TIA

Re: Warm water rod
Post 23 Jul 2021, 16:05 • #2 
Master Guide
There are several decent heavy brands to consider:
********* 898-4
CTS 888-4 or 8610-4 (the 10wt is a beast of a rod)

McFarland (he has more than 2 heavy sticks)
North Fork has an 8wt and 10wt.

Post 24 Jul 2021, 11:15 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I have both the Bandit (gen1) and the NFC 10wt and love them both. The Bandit is definitely easier to cast all day but it also doesn't quite have the power that the NFC does. Both are fantastic. I usually fish 8wts for bass, but the Bandit will throw larger junk, plus it'll handle pretty much anything including the tiger muskies I use it for.

The Echos are fine, but both the Bandit and the NFC are spectacular.

Post 24 Jul 2021, 17:08 • #4 
Master Guide
Down here in Florida I’m using an Eagle Claw featherlight 8W and it hurls big poppers a long way. I pair it up with a Pflueger automatic and an SA Aircell bass line and am really enjoying this rig.

Post 25 Jul 2021, 16:07 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
If you're not opposed to vintage, a combo I've been using for exactly the same type of fishing you've described is an old Orvis Golden eagle 8' 7wt. Might be tricky to find but if you happen upon one snatch it up. Usually my go to rod for warmwater has been my Leonard LEF76 6wt, but recently I decided I needed to go up a wt and looking through my collection I found the Orvis 7wt golden eagle and its been a blast to fish I can't believe I ignored it for so long.

That sounds like a great combo Cyguy.

Post 26 Jul 2021, 16:12 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks! I am really enjoying it when I have some free time and just want to get a line in the water near the house. Got the whole thing for well under $100 and despite my bad casting I can still punch those poppers out a decent distance. It is a bit on the heavy side but balances well and nothing wrong with a good workout. What makes this rig ideal for here in Florida is how well it roll casts! Lot of time in these lakes yiu don’t have much room so roll casting is a game changer. The Pflueger automatic is a lot of fun too, helps set that hook on ole bucket mouth! Only drawback is my wife can’t seem to understand why my Red Truck 5wt w/ Diesel reel is only coming out for trips to the West … :lol :lol

Post 26 Jul 2021, 23:58 • #7 
Master Guide
I bought the Echo BAG 9’ 10 and 12 wt rods when they were on closeout for $129 (as well as their 4, 6, and 7 wt switch and spey rods for $139). They are certainly worth what i paid for them however i also purchased Fenwick FF9010, FF9311, and FF9012 rods for less I think which are better (than the 9’ BAG rods) and vintage. From what I understand Echo went to 8’ on the BAG rods to improve them so I have no experience with those. The Fenwick 9’ FF9010 10wt is my favorite economy predator rod and seems to be a better taper design that the Echo 9’ 10wt. The Echo is still ok though. Same goes for the FF9012 vs Echo 9’ 12 wt. If you are looking for better 10 weights Im sure others have modern fiberglass manufacturers that have better (and shorter) designs but im so happy with my FF9010 i dont have any desire to look for something better. As far as lighter lines im completely content with the relatively inexpensive to obtain FF85 as an 8 or 9wt 8.5 ft rod but it wont throw as big of flies as the FF9010.

Post 01 Aug 2021, 00:40 • #8 
Master Guide
I use the newer Semi Automatic Fly reels which have adjustable drags and removable spools. They are a hell of a lot lighter too. one of my favorite rods is the 3 piece, 6'10" " Floater Bum" by Fenwick. It is available from Blue Dun, in Japan. I use it for catching carp in NYC, Long Island and New Jersey.

New Topic Add Reply