It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:55

New Topic Add Reply
Orvis SFG 2wt
Post 20 Jul 2021, 22:10 • #1 
Master Guide
I’m thinking about picking up the Orvis Superfine Glass 6’6” 2wt, but I haven’t seen many reviews of the newish SFG 662. I’d be targeting bluegill and other sunfish with small foam dries and brook trout with a dry fly under heavy canopy. What are your impressions of the Orvis 662, and which lines do you prefer?

Re: Orvis SFG 2wt
Post 20 Jul 2021, 22:33 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Don't know anything about that rod, IMHO a 2wt will not throw a foam popper/dry worth a hoot bigger than about a #12. I had a 7'9" Orvis 2wt years ago, I really disliked the 2wt line.

Of course, nothing wrong with getting another rod of whatever stripe tickles your fancy.

Post 21 Jul 2021, 17:22 • #3 
Guide
I have not owned one yet but have cast one with a WF2F and a WF3F. It was fine with both and for brook trout and small water I would probably fish it as a 3 wt. I do own a six and an eight wt. Superfine Glass and like them this is a fine rod and as a 3 pc. it would travel easily.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 14:53 • #4 
Master Guide
I have a SFG 2wt and have fished it several days this year. I purchased it with the Orvis superfine 2wt line, but I like it much more with my rio creek 3wt line. currently its set up with the rio creek 3 and the battenkill 1 reel. with this combo it will easily cast size 12 and 14 dry flies. Ive cast dry dropper rigs consisting of a size 14 EHC and an 18 brassie without trouble. Im not so sure how it will do with foam, especially anything bigger than about a 12. I purchased it specifically for the creeks where nothing else will work. The tip is very soft, you can easily play a 3" fish and keep it on the line with a barbless hook. Ive landed trout up to a foot with it and while that is a lively experience, it didnt take long enough to be of ethical concern. The fit and finish are great, it has the feel of a quality American made product.

I really like mine, and its not leaving my hands any time soon. when I wade small creeks for bluegills or really small creeks for trout its a prime candidate. In my opinion, 6'6" is short enough that it severely limits ones ability to hold line off the water and get good drifts. If you are fishing smooth slow water, it doesnt matter. If you are fishing truly tiny pocket water, it doesnt matter. I have found myself on 15ft wide pocket water type streams where I wished I had a longer rod. I say all of this to say - in tight streams with small flies its really great, just maybe not the most versatile rod in other situations. Its an extreme compromise in pursuit of a specific goal.

If you are convicted about wanting a 6'6" 2/3 wt, I say go for it! none of the "negatives" I listed are attributes of the SFG, just general truths about short light line rods.

Post 28 Jul 2021, 20:15 • #5 
Sport
I have fished this rod for several seasons on smaller brook trout streams and really like it. The rod can handle larger fish.This season, I have used a 406 dt 2 line on it. Out of the lines I have tried with the rod, the 406 dt 2 line really brings the sfg 2 to life. I honestly did not realize how much I liked the rod until I paired it with a 406 dt 2 line. I have not tried a wf 3 line on the rod but I do not like it with a dt 3. It is decent with the wf2 lines I have used on it.

I have found the current battenkill 1 and hardy flyweight to balance and pair nicely with the sfg 2 weight. Personally, I prefer the flyweight paired with it.

Post 29 Jul 2021, 15:07 • #6 
I purchased that rod this winter and have fished about 15 days on it so far. I absolutely love the rod and find it to be very accurate. It handles nice sized fish very well and makes the small guys more fun to land. I have it rigged with the Orvis Hydros Superfine 2 wt line and am very happy but having read the other comments on this thread I might try a 3 wt line on it just to see how it feels.

Post 29 Jul 2021, 16:35 • #7 
Guide
Let’ start this off with a disclaimer. I personally have never fished that particular rod; however, I have fished with a number of rods from 3-weight down to much lighter. Shortly after first starting out in fly-fishing, I also started tying my own leaders. At that time a 5-weight was about the lightest thing easily available in the market and extruded knotless leaders were made for that weight on up. For making my own leaders, it began with the Ritz formula, which calls for a leader butt that is 2/3 the diameter of the line tip. Upon starting with 3-weights and lower, it became necessary to first find the diameter of the line tip (using a micrometer caliper) in order to use the right size leader butt. That meant, for example, using 0.13” nylon monofilament instead of 0.17”. Otherwise it would result in hinging at the nail knot and other undesirable effects. So if you’re using a 2-weight line on that 6’6” SFG rod and have some difficulty with it, perhaps it’s worthwhile to tweak the leader and experiment with that before buying a new line. Who knows?

Post 30 Jul 2021, 07:43 • #8 
Master Guide
I also tie my trout leaders. I normally start out with .017" material for the butt end, and thats what I use on my 2 and 3 weights. maybe I need to give Lighter but sections a shot! It very well may help. the 2 weight superfine line is useful for slightly longer casts in my hands and has a place on this rod. its not as good up close or with larger (12-14) flies by comparison to a wf3f (for me). seeing as thats most of what I use the rod for, I settled on the 3!

I did find that the sfg 2 works well for me with a 6' leader, I like 5x. this has proven to be good for small creeks, pocket water etc for trout and is much easier to straighten out than a 7' on this short rod. most of the places I fish this rod, about half of the leader isnt even touching the water during the drift.

Post 30 Jul 2021, 21:11 • #9 
Sport
I have found no need to fish this rod with short leader. I fish a 9' plus leader on the rod and have zero issues. There are times I do not cast the whole leader because of the size of the streams being fished. The sfg 2 can cast the leader alone.

Post 30 Jul 2021, 21:37 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I'm a huge fan of short leaders. Just no reason to go long, unless, like everything else, that turns your key.
Just got back from fishing the creek outside my door with my 315-4 and a roughly 4ft leader. Everything is easier with a short leader.

Post 02 Aug 2021, 22:37 • #11 
Sport
I use short leaders on other rods, not with the sfg 2. I use a longer leader for the sfg 2 because a shorter leader will spook the fish where I use the sfg 2 rod. The length of any leader on any rod will effect presentation. I use the sfg 2 to fish small dry flies on "dams" on a particular stream, ninety-five percent of the time I use it.
I have the sfg 2 for a specific purpose. The use of longer leaders with the sfg 2 has more to do with the application I am using it for, than turning ones key. Where I use the sfg 2 a shorter leader would make not catching fish easier.
After having and fishing the sfg 2 for several years, hopefully the insights of my experiences with the rod are helpful.

New Topic Add Reply