It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:08

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Jul 2021, 23:35 • #1 
Sport
My first ever trip to Yellowstone is coming up. I’ll be heading there the last week in Aug for two weeks. It’s probably not the best time to go from a fishing standpoint, but my wife’s work schedule dictates this timeframe. Next year, we’ll shoot for later in September. Due to the heat, water temperatures, and the drought, I’ll probably be subject to the Hoot Owl restrictions, so early hour fishing will be in order. I’m taking a Fenwick FF79 and a pair of LR Western 866 as I plan on fishing streams, rivers, and lakes. I’m currently not planning on venturing too far off the beaten path, but the fishing pressure may dictate otherwise. Not sure what to expect this time of year. I figure I’ll be fishing mostly terrestrial patterns with some streamer opportunities for the moving water. Hopefully, the gulpers at Hebgen are out playing when I’m there. Always a blast fishing dries on a lake! Henry’s Lake will probably be a tough fish due to the water temps and weeds, but I’ll be giving it a try anyway. I hope to catch a fish in ID, MT & WY and to catch a Yellowstone Cutthroat. I’ll post a report once I get back. Here’s hoping for the waters to treat me kindly!

Post 14 Jul 2021, 08:07 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Good luck! Looking forward to the report!

Post 14 Jul 2021, 08:31 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
No worries. Late August and September are excellent fishing. It will be warm, reads hot. And yes, the water will be low. Best to fish day break to noon then after dinner to dark. Hoppers will be present and don't forget to bring black ants. Good luck!

Post 14 Jul 2021, 09:55 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Have fun!!

Trying to hit too many diff places can be really rough, so take it easy if possible.

Looking forward to report.....

Post 14 Jul 2021, 11:41 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds like a great trip...Have big fun and we will be looking forward to a report and pics.

Post 14 Jul 2021, 13:43 • #6 
Master Guide
I'll be out there in September for about a week, then jumping up to Glacier for about 5 days.

It's currently overcast with a heat index of 96 here where I live.

Currently West Yellowstone, at 12:34 mountain time, is showing 75 degrees with 20% humidity, so Yellowstone will be a welcome relief.

Will have to see what's shaking out there ref smoke/fires when I get there, but yeah, I heard the water is on the skinny side this year.

Good luck on your trip, and I hope you have a great time and catch many of the fishes!

P.S. Take some time and go see Old Faithful and visit the thermal features. They are very unique! There are also many wondrous waterfalls.Dunno where you're staying, but I can highly recommend Running Bear Pancake House in West Yellowstone for breakfast. Wild West Pizza and the Gusher are good for dinner. Good fly shops in West Yellowstone are Blue Ribbon Flies, Jacklin's Outfitters, and Arrick's Fly Shop. If you have time for a side trip, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West museum in Cody is outstanding!

Post 15 Jul 2021, 22:16 • #7 
Master Guide
Yellowstone is a truly magical place.
I agree with Del Gue. Take some time to see some of the spectacular sights that are unique to this park. In addition to the thermal activity, check out Yellowstone Lodge near Old Faithful. A spectacular log structure.

Bring your camera and hike up and see Yellowstone Falls.

The wildlife you will see is amazing even with all the tourists. You’ll be fishing and look up and discover you’re sharing the stream with a moose or driving by the Firehole River and encounter a ghostly herd of buffalo as they appear from an early morning fog.

You won’t have any problem catching cutthroats in the park. Try the Yellowstone River within the park. To avoid the crowd take a hike up to Slough Creek with your hopper patterns. Or better yet hire a guide at any of the shops in West Yellowstone, I prefer Blue Ribbon Flies, and fish the Madison either wading or a float.

If you have time take a drive down to Jackson Hole. Visit the Million Dollar Saloon and check out the fly shops.

Above all, be prepared for a great adventure!

Post 16 Jul 2021, 14:23 • #8 
Guide
Have been in West Yellowstone since mid-June, leaving end of August. Very unusual year for weather, water and fishing. Hotter than old "normal." Many streams low, and Hebgen is very low for this time of year; Yellowstone Holiday Marina pulled docks out a couple weeks ago. Everyone has a guess how water level will affect fishing on Hebgen, and, of course, no one really knows. Hebgen is low because of high flows out of the dam, supposedly to benefit the fish in teh Madison below Hebgen and Quake Lakes -- and the Madison has fished well, with everything happening early. The Goose Fire north of Henry's Lake and right on the shores of Cliff, Hidden and Elk Lakes, smokes everything up periodically. More fires anticipated given dry and hot conditions. Just tossed some flies around on Hebgen with an FF755 and an FF786; lotsa fun. i was sort of goofing around with them testing them for possible use by the 5 y.o. granddaughter coming to visit next week. I am more used to 9' 5 and 6 wt graphite rods for lakes. The Fenwicks are more fun -- except when i needed an extra 5 or 10 feet i cannot get out of an older fiberglass rod!!! But the Fenwicks are certainly plenty stout to land big lake fish; the 755 and 786 just did so an hour or so ago! You will find a lot of use for an FF79 around here. i like it in Lamar Valley, floating and wading rivers like Madison and occasionally even on lakes. It is my favorite vintage glass rod and i use one whenever i can. I have 3 of them (including a relly nice looking B model), after foolishly giving one away.

i concur in suggestions to try Yellowstone R. in park and Lamar, Slough, and Soda Butte. not sure how water levels will be in August, but i am hoping to go there and find out.

...and, don't ignore the suggested touristy stuff in YNP. It is an amazing place. It's crowded this year, so plan accordingly.

Post 16 Jul 2021, 20:29 • #9 
Sport
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Really looking forward to the trip.

If this would have been a "normal" water year, my focus would have been COMPLETELY on fishing, and there is no doubt that would have caused tension between my wife and I. So, the Hoot Owl restrictions will head that off and force me to go see and enjoy the magnificent sites and scenery YS offers.

Yes, the water levels/conditions plus the fires are a concern, but it's nothing I can control. So, I'll be flexible in my fishing plans and roll with the punches.

Wthorpe: glad to read the ole Fenwicks are doing the job!

Post 17 Jul 2021, 23:24 • #10 
Master Guide
In late Aug. some of the good places inside Yellowstone Park should be the Yellowstone, upper Gallatin (inside the Park along the road to Bozeman), Slough Cr., Lamar, Soda Butte Cr. Hebgen L. outside West Yellowstone should have rising gulpers and Quake Lake near where the Madison enters should also have rising fish. Any of the fly shops in W. Yell. should be helpful in tellling you what's good at the time. Enter the Park early to avoid a long wait at the entrance. In ID, Henry's L. fish will congregate at the mouth of creeks for cold water and Howard Cr. is about 1/2 mile walk NE from the boat ramp at Henry's L. State Park, so doesn't require a boat for access.

New Topic Add Reply