It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:45

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Jul 2021, 17:20 • #1 
Master Guide
So I managed to snag a close-to-new Echo Glass Switch rod (FG-3106). Came in the mail yesterday. I carved out just enough time to take it to the park for a little lawn casting. As you all know, it's pretty hard to water load with a lawn, but I wanted to (1) see if I remembered how to execute double Spey and Snap T casts, and (2) get some kind of feel for the rod.

Some of the folks over at Speypages described using regular WF5 lines with some success. So I grabbed a Hardy Bougle reel I have spooled up with a Cortland WF5F 444.

On (1): I still remember how to cast. On (2): the rod balances nicely with the Bougle. Casts felt ok considering the fact that I wasn't on the water. I wasn't trying to shoot any, but rather just to get the line out nicely for 30 or 40 feet. Bonus - rod and reel look super cool too - like a 3/4 version of a classic Spey outfit. The verdict: I can't wait to get this rig on the water.

Post 09 Jul 2021, 19:09 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
That looks like a really nice combo.

I just read the trout spey article in the TU mag, after seeing posts here and elsewhere about it. Looks like fun... something new for me to learn / gear to play with.

Post 09 Jul 2021, 21:47 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I love that rod. It’s so much fun.
Mine currently looks like this, as I’m in the process of upgrading the handle.

Ive tried a regular 5wt and it’s too light for me by quite a bit - I need at least 180gr to make the rod work comfortably and my favourite so far is a 240 SA Scandi Lite. If you’ve got a standard single hand 7 or 8wt try it on there, I know that would work better for me. I’d highly recommend the Scandi Lite series, tho. Great lines for those really light switches.

Post 10 Jul 2021, 00:16 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks for the advice! The Cortland I have is probably way too light - only 120 grains for the first 30 ft. I have an old Rio Indicator line in WF5F that is probably in the 150-210 grain range specified for the rod. The taper is somewhere between a Scandi and a Skagit, so maybe that’s next. Honestly, the whole line complexity thing is probably the most off-putting part of getting into Spey gear. I reckon I’ll figure something out…

Post 10 Jul 2021, 06:53 • #5 
Guide
The Airflo Switch Float WF3 line would be a perfect fit.

http://www.stillwaterflyshop.com/airflo ... e-Size=191

Post 10 Jul 2021, 08:11 • #6 
Master Guide
Nice find !!! What size Bougle is that?

I have been xperimenting with a 7/8 wt WF line but I cut the skinny portion off on the front end and ended up with an integrated looking skagit line, cast ok.

Post 10 Jul 2021, 09:28 • #7 
Master Guide
The Bougle is 3 1/4. Thanks all for line recommendations.

New Topic Add Reply