It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:30

New Topic Add Reply
Fenwick and panfish
Post 09 Jul 2021, 10:46 • #1 
Master Guide
Love my FF605. Had a guide foot pop out in ‘19 but haven’t gotten through other builds and well, guess I’ve been lazy too. I’ve hit some tiny creeks this year. With lots of rain, they’ve been more productive than usual. Mainly, I’ve been using my Fenwick FS61 and FSP661. But I love my fly rods and this creek has always been one for the 605.

Lots of panfish were caught. I even gave a few green sunfish and bluegills to a fisherman who was in the spot to which I was wading. We shared the hole for a few hours. Nice to meet polite folks on the water. I caught a nice bass but I forgot to take a photo and then another hammered my fly as it hit the water but I didn’t land him. However, plenty of panfish to be found BUT they were sucking and spitting or just tugging flies. You had to be reactive. A few were guarding beds but most were just hanging about along the seam or amongst the timber and rocks at the edge of this pool and run.

I absolutely love the FF605. It’s an eBay purchase and looking at the seller’s photos, I couldn’t tell it was 2 blanks from different rods. Different thread and the top blank had white trim that had yellowed. And you couldn’t see the top ferrule had cracked too. So, I guess it was in ‘18 that I rewrapped that ferrule because the finish also had cracks and crazing. I figure it was that the seller seemed to be a “flea market find kind” of person and not used to dealing with rods. Fish caught on a Rio Getter or Flats Crab.

Was 97 outside in the evening and finally cooled off about 7:45 and for some odd reason not much humidity this past week.

Re: Fenwick and panfish
Post 09 Jul 2021, 13:42 • #2 
Master Guide
The fish didn't care about the aspects of the rod, did they? Nope. They just sucked down that fly and got a ride out of it.

As for weather, it's currently 2:39 p.m. here in FL, with 63% humidity and a 99 degree heat index. That's why I schedule my vaca's for September. It gives me something to look forward to as I roast all summer. Climbing out of my tent in the morning in Yellowstone with the temp in the 20's is a beautiful thing, assuming a bear doesn't chow down on my overnight.

Post 09 Jul 2021, 19:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Oh yeah ! I am missing the bluegill lately around here.

Post 10 Jul 2021, 11:15 • #4 
Looks like a great day! I love bluegill on the fly

Post 11 Jul 2021, 02:10 • #5 
Master Guide
What FishSam said! Love bluegill on the fly. Those are some fine ones.

Post 11 Jul 2021, 05:15 • #6 
Master Guide
Nice looking bluegills!
Wished there are more around me....fun on glass for sure!

Post 12 Jul 2021, 10:03 • #7 
Master Guide
Fellas, thanks for reading.

Del, I recently purchased a book about Fly fishing in Yellowstone.

Post 12 Jul 2021, 15:23 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a blast! Great looking fish!

Post 19 Jul 2021, 09:14 • #9 
Guide
Dandy gills! I had a Fenwick HMG once with a couple guides re-attached with sewing thread. Fish didn't mind a bit!

Post 19 Jul 2021, 09:24 • #10 
Sport
Some of my most memorable experiences have been catching panfish and bass. As said above, the fish don't care what the rod looks like! Thanks for sharing.

New Topic Add Reply