It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:50

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Jun 2021, 10:53 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I was back on the Rio Grande above Creede this past weekend. Runoff is still high...maybe even higher than last week. But I did find a couple areas where careful wading was possible. Lots and lots of drift boats and rafts, even more on the waters between Creede and Southfork. Some looked like they were catching fish.

I spent some brief moments with fish on, but I haven't mastered the part where you get them turned back towards you on the edge of the faster water without them getting off the hook. I am fishing with barbless hooks so I need to get better at turning them and keeping the line tight. But I had big fun, and learn a little more the more I fish...and that is the game so...

I will be home this weekend, so the following weekend I am hoping for the flows to be lessening. No pics this time...I failed to check the battery level on the camera and found that it was dead...

Post 23 Jun 2021, 07:13 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I guess I have to wait a couple of more weeks.Turning fish is easy just keep the rod bent and the bottom of the reel facing the fish it’s the fast water that gets me after keeping a 20” cuttbow from getting into the brush yesterday he broke me off.Hope to make it up your way soon heard it is beautiful.........Aurelio
If you put a little bend in your hooks to the side it will help keep the fish on better.

Post 23 Jun 2021, 07:47 • #3 
Master Guide
Aurelio, I have heard the tip about bending hooks slightly to the side for better hookup ratio. I’ve never tried it or seen it done. Would you post a few pics about it?

Post 23 Jun 2021, 11:29 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Aurelio

Thank you for the tips...I will give it a try and some more practice.

New Topic Add Reply