It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:36

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Jun 2021, 10:16 • #1 
Sport
I think I have found small stream, Mid-Atlantic paradise! The streams in/around North Central PA are just amazing, beautiful, and full of healthy trout.

I took off on a trip to a licensed state campsite for a few days of small stream fishing. I had just purchased a new Leiderman-built McFarland 7'8" 4wt 4piece rod that I was dying to try out.

Upon arriving, I set up camp and headed down to the stream. The sun was bright, but the water was a cool 60 degrees. I was up near the headwaters, and after a bit of searching, the first fish I was able to put into the net to commemorate this rod was a healthy 8" brook trout. There is something special to me about a healthy, feisty brook trout, and it was wonderful to feel it's heft in the rod's bend.

Shortly, thereafter, I drove further down stream a few miles and hiked down the steep hill, looking for some brown trout. The slate drakes were hatching, among other caddis flies and smaller mayflies, a wonderful sight. Not long after, I had a fat ~11" golden-hued brown trout putting a nice bend in the rod.

I marveled at the craggy beauty of the area's rock formations and all the life that it encompasses. Later that day, I hooked and lost an even larger brown trout who nabbed a #12 Isonychia dry as I was drifting it right by the edge of a rock overhang beside a rushing pool. It jumped dramatically out of the water as I whooped and a huge smile plastered itself on my face, feeling the rod bend over completely, connecting me to my quarry. It was so enjoyable, I almost didn't mind when he spit the hook and got away. Almost.

The McFarland 784-4 is just a beautiful rod. It's an oddball blank that Leiderman had picked up from McFarland because he had liked it and kept it on hand. I don't know where it fits in McFarland's tapers, but I can say it is a wonderfully progressive rod with some strength in the butt that is easy to access. It's a bit quicker than my McFarland 805-3 but flexes very similarly in its bend profile. The more I let the rod do the work, the better my casts are. It feels more like a conversation than a dictation. I love it! Not to mention the (IMHO) unparalleled finish work from Matt Leiderman. The design is painfully elegant and the execution flawless.

I had to leave my three-day trip after only 24hrs to be home to help with a pet emergency. The dog is better now, and I'm dreaming of when I can make it back to the area with its miles and miles of gorgeous small stream fishing. In fact, I think I am sneaking away early this coming week to go exploring again!

Last edited by BlahBlahBlahHuhh on 20 Jun 2021, 15:47, edited 2 times in total.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 10:19 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for sharing a report on another that’s on the list. Looks great, and a beautiful build on the rod.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 12:16 • #3 
Sport
Thanks, Upstream!

I would put this area way up on a long list of places I want to return to or visit for the first time.

I am drawn to places that have good car camping or backpacking and lots of river miles to spread out the angling pressure. This area has it all, and the super easy state permitting system for the car camping ensures you can roll up and set up with no hassle. I also prefer camping areas with no amenities like fluorescent-lit bathrooms and strange-tasting treated drinking water. Give me a campsite, a stream, and solitude and I'm in heaven!

Post 20 Jun 2021, 14:23 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice looking stream, pretty fish, and a good looking rod. Life is good !

Post 20 Jun 2021, 14:57 • #5 
Master Guide
Thanks for letting all of us know just how wonderful the area is, I'm sure there will be lots of people heading that way soon to enjoy paradise.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 16:05 • #6 
Sport
Yes, I'm sure it will be soon insanely crowded on the literal hundreds and hundreds of stream miles because of my trip report. That was my goal! :P

On a serious note, I always hesitate to write anything about anywhere and post it on the internet. And you've certainly made me second guess my choice. But perhaps I misread your comment... If so, apologies!

Post 20 Jun 2021, 18:10 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
A neat place for you to try the next time you are in that area is Fishermans Paradise between Bellefonte and State College off of I think hwy.#150.It is a well known place but if you go there during the week instead of the weekend you should be alright.There is a lot of catch and release water there.I found it a very pleasant place to fish when I was there years ago.Spring Creek is the stream that runs through it and it has some very large brown trout in it.There isnt any camping there but it is worth checking out at least once.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 18:15 • #8 
Sport
I've heard so much about that area, and Spring Creek in particular. I need to go check it out. Thanks!

Post 20 Jun 2021, 18:39 • #9 
Master Guide
Agreed - No. Central PA. is treasured US resource... beyond beautiful...

Post 21 Jun 2021, 14:29 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Great report and pics!

Post 21 Jun 2021, 14:43 • #11 
Sport
Spring creek and Fishermans Paradise is a beautiful place and fun to fish. Discovered it while going to school out there. Thanks for sharing your trip!

Post 21 Jun 2021, 14:58 • #12 
Sport
Thanks!

I want to make it to Fisherman's Paradise sometime soon, too.

Post 21 Jun 2021, 21:06 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a great area and glad your dog is ok!

Post 23 Jun 2021, 12:20 • #14 
Don't let the complainers bother you.
It was a great report for an area with 1000's of trout streams

Post 25 Jun 2021, 20:08 • #15 
Sport
Best wishes for your dog and yes - there’s something special about a nice healthy Brookie.

Post 26 Jun 2021, 16:19 • #16 
Sport
Thanks y'all!

I definitely don't want to burn any spots... But it's a pretty large area. And what wonderful, healthy streams it has!

The dog is good, the fishing is good, life is good.

New Topic Add Reply