It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:27

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Jun 2021, 17:53 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
"OK" "OK" I know many of you will still be going to the park over the next couple of months. Sure, great place to fish etc. But be warned......my better half and I tried to enter YNP via the West entrance on Monday. The traffic was backed up past Blue Ribbon Flies and backed up from Idaho past the West Fork of the Madison. That was at 0730 and a Monday. We bailed, called an audible and head into Idaho to fish that day. Not me not again this summer. I'll wait until the crowds simmer down and revisit the park in September. For those of you going anyway best of luck and drink heavily. :) We have a friend who attempted to go anyway. She told us it was two hours to get past the gate at West and then another two hours to get to Madison Junction. Better her than us. I wish you all well who try to go.
Mark

[Unless there is something useful to add to this thread, let's not turn it into a ranting session. Suffice it to say summer traffic has started on a high volume visitation year. Plan accordingly. Tom]

Post 16 Jun 2021, 18:05 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I think Hellmtflies is just trying to keep us away from his honey-holes........next he will be telling us there are bears in the park...

Post 16 Jun 2021, 18:07 • #3 
Guide
Just as a point of reference for those of us who have never been there - how long would your friends 4 hr drive take without traffic or on a normal summer day?

Post 17 Jun 2021, 00:13 • #4 
Guide
Quote:
Just as a point of reference for those of us who have never been there - how long would your friends 4 hr drive take without traffic or on a normal summer day?

Less than half an hour. It's a 14 mile drive.

Post 17 Jun 2021, 05:32 • #5 
Guide
Mark, strictly out of curiosity but what's it like coming in through Cooke City from the northeast?

Post 17 Jun 2021, 07:13 • #6 
Guide
I was at Mt. Rainier NP on Memorial Day weekend, was leaving the park at 1 or 2 in the afternoon and the line of cars to get in the Ashford entrance was about three miles long. CRAZY!

Chris

Post 17 Jun 2021, 08:00 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
kbobb wrote:

20 minutes.

Post 17 Jun 2021, 09:42 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The same is true in many of our National Parks. We went to Canyonlands (not necessarily a high volume site) and waited in line at the gate for an hour as they were letting cars enter at the same rate they left. There may still be some covid-related access limitations this summer so plan accordingly. Probably best to go very early before their self-imposed access limit is reached and they start holding cars until others depart.

Post 17 Jun 2021, 12:20 • #9 
Master Guide
Unfortunately, normal summer days at many national parks are jammed up. Barring the NPS providing some kind of limits to control the amount of pressure, there are a couple of solutions - go during shoulder seasons (fall, spring), find other beautiful locations that are lesser known, etc.

Post 18 Jun 2021, 14:44 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Many fishing stories are good for about the time they are told at the corner store. From there, they change. And a hatch on Monday night doesn't always foretell a hatch on Tuesday. Sometimes you get better outcomes doing the opposite of the latest hot tip. Up-to-date info, though, is easier to come by than ever these days: weather cams to check the next valley over, USGS water monitoring stations to check flow and temperature, Google Earth or park entrance webcams. Many commuter route toll booths would have a bigger traffic jam than Yellowstone did earlier today, but it could be hours later on. https://home.nps.gov/search/?affiliate= ... ry=webcams

Post 18 Jun 2021, 17:27 • #11 
Guide
On Tuesday this week, my wife and I drove in from Moran Junction thru the South Entrance headed for our house in West Yellowstone. We perhaps miraculously experienced no significant delays in our direction of travel ... but saw a line of cars creeping along more or less all the way from Madison Junction to Old Faithful -- creeping as in stop and go, and 5 mph when going. Traffic looked as heavy as i have ever witnessed in the park. Fishing on Firehole, Madison and Gibbon is essentially done for the season in any case. Next up i guess we will stand in line to throw salmonflies on the Madison?

Post 18 Jun 2021, 23:59 • #12 
We just spent 2 weeks beginning Memorial Day weekend in Jackson, WY leaving one week ago today. I can say I have been spending summers and winters out in YNP for the past 35 years. I have never seen the park or Jackson, WY so busy.

Post 19 Jun 2021, 09:18 • #13 
Sport
I was in Utah in the high country fishing this past week and the only jam I had was getting through 300 head of cattle being driven down the road. Took 10 minutes to work our way through. Had a small lake stuffed with fish to ourselves for 2 days except for a few bait fishers on ATV's that dropped by one day, caught a few and headed out.

Post 19 Jun 2021, 21:00 • #14 
Guide
small herd of native cattle, aka bison, just walked thru our front yard in West Yellowstone, 15 adults and 10 "red dogs". although 75 to 100 of them show up out here in Horse Butte area most years, i prefer to imagine the huge number of touristas ran em outa the park. The family yellow lab offered up a few growls and then decided they outweighed him more than 20 to 1.

in other news my wife caught an honest to god 16-17" Cutt, not a hybrid, on the Madison today, below Lyons but dont recall further details on location. biggest cutt i have ever seen there; have only seen maybe a half dozen at most. i caught one at about 15" near Raynolds a few years back.

New Topic Add Reply