It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:16

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Jun 2021, 11:43 • #1 
Master Guide
I just returned from a week in the Eastern Sierra and fished several of my favorite lakes with a guide and in my tube. As Odonata pointed out in his post this winter was one of the driest in the Sierras in the past 50 years. Run off was almost non existent going to be a rough summer up there.
The midge hatches were insane every morning hordes of very large blood and grey midges would emerge causing the fish to go wild. All the fish were caught at 20 to 24 ft. deep I used the sliding leader method which works great at those depths. 95% of the fish were caught on a size 16 copper tiger midge it matches the blood midges very well. I split time between my SFG 8’6” 6 wt. and my 9’ 5wt. NFC Gamma Beta rod.

The scenery pics are of Carson peak and for early June there should be a lot snow up there. Thank you for looking!

Post 16 Jun 2021, 11:59 • #2 
Master Guide
Awesome! Thanks for sharing…

Post 16 Jun 2021, 12:46 • #3 
Guide
That looks like it must have been a great time. Too bad about the apparent lack of water and snow pack and hopefully it won't cause too many problems later on. You mention using " the sliding leader method which works great at those depths". Would you mind explaining a bit about what that consists of? Thanks in advance.

Post 16 Jun 2021, 14:20 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice fish !

Wow, that is looking super dry up there. Inyo National Forest declared fire restrictions back in May ... not surprising.

Post 16 Jun 2021, 18:16 • #5 
Master Guide
Pampaspete, hello the sliding leader is 18 to 20’ of 12 lb. Trilene XT, then thread a small bobber stop onto the leader. Then attach a 3/4” Thingamabobber. Next tie on a small swivel then tie on your tipper and flies to the other end of the swivel. Finally attach a medium size split shot above the swivel to quickly sink your flies. You Can adjust the depth of your flies by sliding the bobber stop up and down the leader. No more breakaway indicators that don’t work and resetting your indicator after every fish you catch. I have successfully used this system to catch trout, bass and panfish down to 25’.

Lanny

Post 16 Jun 2021, 18:48 • #6 
Guide
Thanks for the explanation! Who'da thunk it? It's just like the good ol' slip bobber, but this time for fishing tiny artificial nymphs instead of bait ...

New Topic Add Reply