It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:33

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Jun 2021, 06:59 • #1 
A few weeks ago, Mudfish Marquand met my wife and I down on the Tongariro river in Turangi, New Zealand. I live in Auckland, which is four hours away from this magnificent river and Mudfish lives two hours away in Tauranga.

Its winter time here in New Zealand, yet there has been very low rainfall for some time now. As a consequence, the river was only flowing at around 22 m3/sec. Rainbows and Browns seem to move up the river in large numbers from lake Taupo once the water levels rise, or a 'fresh' happens.

Mudfish was wet-lining or 'swinging' using his beloved Fenwick 330-3 teamed up with a Sharpes 'The Gordon' reel - although Im sure I saw a JW Pridex Lightweight on there at some point. Im not sure what weight the Fenwick is.

I was nymphing using a Kilwell 52-107 8 wt together with a Grice and Young Fly Jecta 3 reel, and also a Kilwell 52-90 5wt, teamed up with a Pflueger 1495 reel.

The weather was great for fishing, the local pies and coffee were outstanding and we both loved every minute on this famous river using our older, yet very effective gear. I love using glass, and I blame Mudfish for it.

I normally watch these two local characters who although they don't generally use glass, they fish the river a lot and keep me laughing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1NO4oKIYJ8

Post 16 Jun 2021, 07:36 • #2 
Piscator
thanks for the exotic Kiwi catharsis.

Great outfit put to excellent use.

Post 16 Jun 2021, 09:15 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks for sharing. Fun video; strangely familiar terrain — that stretch of river has got me thinking of eastern Oregon.

Post 16 Jun 2021, 14:28 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a fun time !

Post 16 Jun 2021, 15:24 • #5 
Guide
Thanks for sharing Paul. It was a good trip in great company. Cheers

Post 16 Jun 2021, 15:52 • #6 
Guide
If you are interested in sight fishing for NZ trout, Tripping On Trout has some very good videos. Wish I could fish some of the places he gets to here.

New Topic Add Reply