It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:58

New Topic Add Reply
Limpest Fly Lines
Post 14 Jun 2021, 16:55 • #1 
Sport
I once read that Scientific Anglers Ultra and Supra lines were relatively limp but the Mastery lines relatively stiffer. What about the Mastery Trout models? Or the Frequency lines? I'm specifically interested in DT lines, not WF.

I used to hear that Cortland 444 were quite limp, but my experience with 2 different 444 peach lines, at different times, is that in the heat the peach lines got sticky.

And how do the 406 lines compare? Do they float as well as the SAs? Or the Airflo offerings?

Thanks! Fish on!
Peter

Re: Limpest Fly Lines
Post 15 Jun 2021, 11:06 • #2 
Master Guide
My understanding is that the Frequency is a rebranded Supra. My fiancé has one and it’s a decent line. I had a Mastery Trout DT some time ago and I got rid of it as it had some memory issues thus it was not as limp. But my brother has one and did not have that issue. The 406 are nice lines and many people love them. They have a great color and taper. I would say they are in the realm of limpness as the Supra, but I would really have to handle them side by side, and maybe I can do that in the next few days. But I think they might be slightly limper. But would have to handle them again to be certain. They float just fine, especially if you wipe off your line regularly. My only complain with them is they are not very good shooting lines. I am not guy who generally shoots a lot of line, but when I pick up the fly after it floats over a rising fish I like to pick it up and lay it back down over the fish in one cast. They don’t do this very well, and it is more noticeable on weedy or “dirty” rivers like the Henry’s Fork which I fish quite a bit.
I supect it may be due to its softer coating. But that may be no concern to you?

Another consideration would be the Sylk. It’s also one the limper lines available, and available in a DT. It’s a decent line too. My only nitpicking with it, it does not shoot as well on hot days. Many folks may never notice this, but if were using it in a boat casting to risers, you might. I also suspect it’s on the lighter side, but I have never weighed it.

If limpness is your primary desire, maybe you should consider a silk or artificial silk line. No current line can really compare. The only other consideration would be to obtain a old stock Masterline. They are the closest plastic line to silk there is. But they are not the best floaters, but one can dress the tip or line with otter butter if desired.

As a side note, my current favorite plastic (other than the Masterlines) lines are the Rio Techinal Trout and the Rio Lightline DT. I probably prefer a Lightline a wee bit over the TT. They may be worth looking at as well…

Post 15 Jun 2021, 13:47 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I am big fan of limp fly lines.

The limpest plastic line I use is the long discontinued Rio Classic Lumilux. Other than a few Lumilux lines I have still have in use, I now use Rio Mastery DT lines. While maybe not as limp, I also don’t have as many hours on them which is a BIG factor.

One thing I can tell you is IF you take care of your plastic lines and can get years out of them, they will get limper the more you use them. My Lumilux lines have years & years of use on them and weren't that limp when new. Even real silk which I also use, can be a bit stuff when new, but gets to buttery softness with more use.

If you use DT’s, switching ends on a regular schedule (a couple of times a year or after X number of outings) versus when one side wears out will help eliminate memory coils closest to the reel arbor and improve overall limpness. With WF’s you are rather stuck with stiffness in the running line but again, using them will soften the weighted portion.

Of course, there is also the Cortland SYLK line that is VERY limp right out of the box, but like oysters on the half shell it is an acquired taste. While I love oysters…

…I just don’t care for SYLK. Of course YMMV.

Good luck!!

Post 15 Jun 2021, 13:56 • #4 
Sport
Otter butter?? And while we're on the subject of potions to apply to lines, do I remember a spray-on silicone product?

That comment about the Frequency lines being close to the Supras is very interesting to me. And, yeah, I like to shoot line out past a missed take, too, so delicacy is my first priority (limpness has a good deal to do with that), floatability is important, and then shootability. But I have my limits. As in, I AM looking for a DT rather than a WF.

Fish on!
Peter

Post 15 Jun 2021, 14:27 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Otter Butter is a line grease (floatant) that contains no silicone making it a favorite of people who use real silk lines on varnished bamboo rods. Residual silicone can be difficult to remove completely and may cause issues if you ever need to have a varnished bamboo rod refinished, hence its popularity with the varnished rod crowd.

I use it exclusively on my silk lines on my bamboo rods because for me it lasts WAY longer than the old standby, Mucilin.

That being said, both Otter Butter and Mucilin will melt if exposed to temperatures you experience on a summer's day and leak all over the place. I carry a bit of my Otter Butter in a screw top aluminum pill storage "capsule" with an O-ring to minimize that issue, however...

If I feel the need to apply a floatant to my plastic lines or furled leaders and I am not using bamboo, I use Loon Payette Paste that does have silicone, but works great and DOESN'T melt (I tested it in an oven at over 150 degrees).

Spray-on floatants are out there, but they are most costly for less product and the container is larger.

Bottom line, cleaning your line with regularity as recommended by that line's manufacturer is all you really should ever have to do and is better than not cleaning your line and using a floatant.

Post 16 Jun 2021, 05:14 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't tried a new one in quite a few years but the Cortland Sylk is probably the most supple line I've cast. It's available in DT.

New Topic Add Reply