It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:25

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Jun 2021, 10:30 • #1 
Sport
I'm going to be up in the Tuolumne Meadows area of Yosemite from 7/9 to 7/20, fishing, hiking, and backpacking my way around. I'll be concentrating on the higher elevation (~8500ft and above) streams, but may wet a line in some of those high elevation lakes, as well.

I am planning on taking my 7'8" McFarland 4wt as an all around rod, as well as a shorter 3wt for less windy times, tiny streams, and no-wind moments early in the day on lakes.

I would like to keep my tackle to a minimum (hopefully 2 rods) because I'll be traveling by plane, but I'm wondering if the short 3wt is crazy to take because of the possibility of wind. Though it seems like it will be a great possibility because of the size of the fish and small creek fishing.

The other options I have are a FF70-4 (5 or 6wt) or a FF756-4 (5 or 6wt).

What two would you all bring with these options available? Or should I just bring all three, which really wouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for your advice all you California anglers!

Post 14 Jun 2021, 10:40 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Not a CA angler here....but if backpacking I can't see taking two rods, unless you are a young buck.

For me, a 3wt, though fun, is just a novelty. Take 5 or 6wt IMHO.

Whatever you take, have fun and take lots of pictures!

Post 14 Jun 2021, 10:55 • #3 
Sport
Well, this buck is getting older, but I am still fine carrying two rods if it will be more fun! ;)

That being said, this is good backpacking advice, regardless! Thanks.

Post 14 Jun 2021, 11:42 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
FWIW, never fished the Sierras, but in the northern Rockies, 7’6” 4wt has become my usual lightest and (almost always) shortest rod. Haven’t taken a 7’ 3wt in years (plane, but not backpacking there). But if you’re fine packing two rods - and reels - I’d probably grab the FF756-4; reach is good, and a 6wt will handle wind better. I wouldn’t want to spend the money and energy to risk having my fishing frustrated for 10 days.

When I’ve thought of that sort of long pack trip, I’ve wondered if tenkara might be a reasonable backup to one fly rod/reel.

BTW, what’s the 3wt?

Post 14 Jun 2021, 11:47 • #5 
Sport
Thanks!

For clarification, I'll be backpacking 4 or 5 days, it will be mostly based out of Tuolumne Meadows for the trip. So the gear considering is more about only bringing what is most useful for a car camping situation. I will most likely only take one rod for the backpacking portions of my trip.

That being said, I do have a tenkara rod, but when I've fished it in any wind with level line, it's not been fun at all! So I'm wondering if maybe there's something I don't know about your recommendation.

Oh, and the 3wt is a 6'6" Orvis Superfine Carbon at the moment, but I *may* have a Barclay 68 by then, just in time for this trip, which may be irresistible to bring because I want to use it finally!

Post 14 Jun 2021, 15:08 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I concur with taking a rod just because you want to. I have a rod drying I'm just dying to fish, even though it's really not very practical. It's all about having fun.

That said, it is NOT fun to take too much stuff backpacking. Less is more. Every ounce counts.

Post 14 Jun 2021, 15:43 • #7 
Sport
Exactly! If I have the 68 by the time the trip rolls around I will definitely be bringing it and find somewhere to use it.

I am mostly just wondering how windy it can be on a sub-alpine stream up there and whether a 4wt will get shut down by wind.

As for weight, I have gotten my backpacking kit light enough that two rods won't make or break the experience. The trip I'll be taking is low on mileage and high on hanging/fishing/observing. With that said, your advice is still good! The less unnecessary gear you take the more fun it is.

Post 14 Jun 2021, 16:53 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Fishing the high mountain creeks here, it is never so windy you would have issues with a 4wt.
Lakes are a different story.

I'm just happier fishing a 6wt.

Post 14 Jun 2021, 17:24 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I spend a lot of my free time in the Sierra, and would suggest a 4 or 5wt, primarily for lakes. I also like to bring a tenkara rod, but that is because I enjoy creek fishing with them and because most of my time spent in the Sierra is backpacking. If you are car-camping and plan to bring two rods anyway, then the second rod could be a 2 or 3wt for creeks. When I tenkara fish I just adapt to the breeze; it's no big thing.

But if you really really want to fish a 6wt in the Sierra there is no law against that, especially if it is a good roll caster, which helps if the lake has too many trees or bushes near the water for a good back cast.

It's been a bit of a dry year; 50-60% of normal winter snowfall, depending on location, so water levels in the creeks may be pretty low. That said, the mosquito situation may be better than usual by the time you arrive, but don't forget the bug juice.

I just got back from a trip to the southern Sierra (west side near Kings Canyon) and the mosquitoes were quite ... enthusiastic :) Very tired today...

Hopefully there won't be any major wildfires and ensuing clouds of smoke when you are here. Crossing fingers for you (and me).

Post 14 Jun 2021, 18:21 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
second rod should be the FF756-4. In case of winds this can deal with it, and I've never found a fish so small it wasn't still fun to catch on the 756..
It weighs I think about 4 1/4oz. Even as a committed weight weenie I can add that to my pack ;-)

Post 14 Jun 2021, 18:58 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Love the ad!

Post 14 Jun 2021, 19:38 • #12 
Sport
Hah, that ad is great!

Thanks for all the advice from you western anglers.

I think I'll end up lugging the 3wt, 4wt, and FF756-4 to the park via plane and probably lug the 4wt on the backpacking trip if I won't find myself trying to fish alpine lakes. Maybe I'll take the FF756-4 too and leave some food behind :P

I hope for all our sakes that the fire season passes without incident, though I know you all had a really light snowpack. If there is fishable water and I can breathe the air I'm happy! And even if that doesn't pan out, I'm still happy. You can't plan these things very well at all, eh?

Post 14 Jun 2021, 21:20 • #13 
Master Guide
Like Odonata, I’ve fished a bunch of Sierra creeks and lakes over the years. I seem to be gravitating towards 7.5ft 4wt with backbone as a decent all around rod for creeks and lakes. My goto rod has been my Scott F (black glass). I’m usually not pushing giant flies or multi-fly indicator rigs at high altitude and the Scott works well even in a breeze.

Wind is less of an issue along creeks, but it can get pretty windy on high Sierra lakes. If you really want to cast distance in high winds on lakes, I recommend you go with a 5wt or 6wt 9ft fast graphite rod - it makes it easy to get good line speed and punch thru the wind. Not that much fun for smaller fish, though. I think my current compromise rod is the 7’ 5/6wt LLBean (made by Timberline) rod I picked up last summer. It is short enough to maneuver around bushy creeks, I can push line out pretty far with it, but it’s still fun with a little fish on. For fishing around Tuolumne Meadows, a 3wt or 4wt glass rod should be just fine for both the Lyell and Dana forks. Those are fun creeks and they should have plenty of hungry fish in them.

When you consider carrying two rods vs one, everything is a trade off. If you skip the rod tube, a second rod and reel is only around 10oz or so. I usually go with pretty minimalist tackle set. Here’s a post with the rig I carry: https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69798 (and pictures below). You’ll note: no vest, only one fly box, no split shot, and minimal tools. It’s pretty light. Adding a rod to this wouldn’t be a big deal. The rod tube is a plastic fluorescent tube protector you can get at your local home/hardware warehouse store.

Your other issue is what flies to take. If you hit your favorite search engine with “high Sierra fly box” or similar, you can get some pretty good lists. You don’t really need a crazy wide selection. I usually end up catching fish with attractors like Parachute Adams, black ant patterns, grasshopper imitations, and basic small nymphs like Copper Johns. Small streamers work too.

Post 15 Jun 2021, 05:04 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
If no wind on lake I would rather lengthen leader than go to 3 wt. Like the add says the 756 is an extremely versatile rod. That's the one I would take if it had to be just one rod. If you have room for another just take the one you think you will enjoy using the most when conditions are right for it - the 756 has you covered the rest of the time. I would be fishing the 756 - 4 with a 5 wt. If there isn't much water in the creeks the Barclay 68 would be really fun - and if that doesn't get to you on time I would have a hard time choosing between the 7'8" 4wt and the FF70-4 for fishing the creeks. Given you can use the 70-4 and 756-4 with the same line and reel that's the most practical pair to take with you. By just changing leaders you can do just about anything with those two rods.

Post 15 Jun 2021, 05:38 • #15 
Sport
I appreciate the specific advice for the area, motosacto! And the general rod advice, giogio!

This is all great for me to think about with you. And one thing is for sure: it seems I have many good options with the rods I own at the moment... :lol

I'm really excited for this trip and you have all helped me scout out a good plan to make the most of it. Thank you everyone!

Post 15 Jun 2021, 09:47 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Fortunately the Sierra is a pretty big place. If one area gets smoked out you can probably find another.

The situation last September when almost everything was closed was pretty unusual (knock on wood).

Post 16 Jun 2021, 10:57 • #17 
Sport
Yes, the vastness is part of how I'm hedging my bets.

By the way, I assume I don't need to take my wading pants up there for mid July?

Post 16 Jun 2021, 11:56 • #18 
Master Guide
My suggestion - leave your waders behind. I don’t wade in Sierra lakes. You can get away with fishing a lot of creeks without wading at all. If you want to wade, I’d suggest a pair of low-top shoes that can get wet and synthetic pants that dry quickly.

Post 16 Jun 2021, 19:35 • #19 
Sport
Thanks! I love wet wading and will bring some neoprene socks to wear under hiking shoes if the inspiration to wade at all strikes.

New Topic Add Reply