It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:30

New Topic Add Reply
Camp Creek Cutthroats
Post 13 Jun 2021, 18:32 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Fished a nearby creek today, water a bit high, but anywhere you could find a little reprieve from the current you could find little cutts.....

Rod is a Moonlit 4wt, reel a semi auto. "Casts" consist of little flips, no such thing as casting today. In water like this I use really short leader, under 3ft. This creek flows out of the Cabinet Mountain Wilderness, and has miles and miles of water that has never seen a rod.
My dogs approve of the day's adventure.....

Post 13 Jun 2021, 23:46 • #2 
Master Guide
Those cuts are little jewels. Always nice to find places that hold otherwise unknown trout. Thanks for sharing.

Post 14 Jun 2021, 07:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful water and fish! Looks like the dogs approve!

Post 14 Jun 2021, 10:20 • #4 
Sport
Beautiful fish and trip report!

I really want to catch a cutthroat for the first time this year.

Post 14 Jun 2021, 13:46 • #5 
Master Guide
Awesome report Keith .
Lovin those lil Cuttys . We have some cutthroat trout in the North Branch of the Potomac River that borders Wv and Md . The Potomac grand slam Of rainbow,brown,brook,cutthroat still eludes me
Nice fishing buddies You've got There too .
Is the white/Black dog have border collie or sheepdog mix?
The one black ear is so cool on it.

That creek looks like a nice spot to try those livley-leg nymphs I sent you.

You Keep flipping for them trout...
I’m gonna keep that Montana to Maryland Mojo goin..

Post 14 Jun 2021, 15:03 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Scotto, one of those caddis flies you sent me my thumb is covering in one of the pics. With that fish I found out the barb wasn't pinched so switched to a diff fly.

Glad you like the Fenwick!!

Kirby is Border Collie. Really distrusts other people, and will bite if approached. A very loyal, smart dog.
All three of my dogs (old dog didn't come this trip) LOVE to go fishing, they all bunch around me watching me cast and (hopefully) catch. The young one (black) will start barking at me if we don't catch em fast enough.

Post 14 Jun 2021, 17:28 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Looks great !

Post 14 Jun 2021, 19:06 • #8 
I went down to MT a number of years ago to visit a friend that was starting a new life, going from Black Hawk pilot to college student. We fished some on weekends, on week days I entertained myself driving around and camping where nightfall caught me.
One day while following a tip I met a couple of old, old cowmen that were out on Forest Service logging back road harvesting beetle killed lodge pole pine firewood. I couldn't get around their big truck in the rental car. So, unlike most tourists I joined in with their logging. One of the old boys needed to stop working every now and then to sit in the truck and hook himself up to a oxygen tank. After finishing loading out the truck, I backed up to a place that allowed them to get around me. These guy's thanked me for my help by telling me I was a "pretty fair hand" and told where to find them at supper time, I was to be their guest at their camp. Later that evening they showed me a place on a map that that didn't get fished much if at all, but guaranteed I would catch some pretty dandy Cutthroat trout or native trout as they called them.
One of those guy's had a Border Collie dog like mine, showed me pictures of others he used to have that looked like Keith's whiter one.
Happy memories, of camping, creeks, cutthroats, collies and codgers. It was a lot of fun being called son, by these 80+ year old guy's because I was in my mid sixties.

Post 28 Jun 2021, 18:06 • #9 
Master Guide
Keith
That’s good stuff...
So stoked you caught some fish on the flies I sent you.
I’m trying to get the Fenwick into the rod shop For the mods .
It may be a minute as I’ve got 18 rods in queue right now. LoL

Here’s my fishing buddy Mr Bandit
He’s a Border Collie/Papillon mix.

You can’t even say the word S.t.r.e.a.m. Without him going berserk...
He’s quite the guard dog/herder as well
(border collie traits run strong in him)
He’s more distrustful of strange dogs than Strange people.

Here’s our newest member of the family
Lil Harley girl..
She’s a full Papillon pup 11 months old

She’s going on her first fishing outing this week
Bandit is not so thrilled as you can see by his reaction when I told him Harley is coming with us this year ..

Tightest of lines to you and the dogs.
Scotto

New Topic Add Reply