It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:45

New Topic Add Reply
Eagle Nest, New Mexico
Post 12 Jun 2021, 07:11 • #1 
Sport
I'm in the area at the end of the month and will try some fishing. I know there's the lake and some access to running water (Cimarron, Rio Grande?) as well. Any tips on where to fish. Recommend tackle?

Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post 12 Jun 2021, 08:15 • #2 
Guide
You'll be within an hour or so of lots of fishing. The Cimarron has lots of access points in the canyon. Rio Grande, Red River, Rio Hondo, Rio Pueblo and Rio Costilla are some favorites that I like to hit. Depends on how adventurous you want to be and how fit you are. A call to Taos Fly Shop or the Eagle Nest Fly Shack would be a good place to start.

Post 12 Jun 2021, 08:32 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Keep us posted as my wife and I will be there in two weeks or so. Curious as to how you do.

Post 13 Jun 2021, 20:59 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
They just started releasing water in the Cimarron again. It fishes better with at least 15 cfs. I recall some spectacular caddis hatches during the first week of July, but stoneflies and mayflies are possible. Recommend checking the flow rate before going: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nm/nwis/uv/?site_no=07206000. Fishing is better in the “Green Chile” water marked with signs. You have to stop at the upper camping ground to pay for a $5 parking pass.

The Hondo, Rio Grande, and Pinos are currently running too fast, but they may be good by the time you get there. I heard they poisoned Costilla Creek in Valle Vidal to stock native cutts again.
The Pinos is my fave in the Green Chile section, but it is a couple hours drive. So is the Conejos. I recall a nice slate wing drake hatch is possible that time of year. Green rockworms are common in the Pinos. Check local fly shops as much depends on the flows.

Post 14 Jun 2021, 12:50 • #5 
Sport
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I'll post an update after I get (hopefully) some fishing in!

Post 14 Jun 2021, 19:40 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Correction: the hatch was not slate wings but medium sized green drakes. Had to check my notes.

New Topic Add Reply