It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:42

New Topic Add Reply
Fishing NW Arkansas
Post 11 Jun 2021, 16:57 • #1 
Master Guide
I’m planning a vacation with the family on Beaver lake in NW Arkansas the first week of August. We’ll be about 2.5 hours from the White River, but August is probably a bit early for prime streamer fishing.

I’m interested in going after native smallmouth. There’s a designated national historic waterway not far to the southeast of Beaver lake (don't want to hot spot anyone’s favorite stream) - is this the spot I should focus on for smallmouth, or are there better options nearby? Anyone want to meet and fish or have guide recommendations?

Re: Fishing NW Arkansas
Post 11 Jun 2021, 18:50 • #2 
Guide
I would try to book Duane Hada. He is great local guide who has a deep love for the smallmouth streams in the area. You might want to check Dally’s Ozark Fly Fisher. It’s a great shop that can point you to some Smallmouth streams.

Post 12 Jun 2021, 03:18 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
You would be about 2.5 hours away from the Bull Shoals Tailwater, not from the White River. Beaver Lake is the White River. The Beaver tailwater has several (8) miles of stocked/managed trout, but every stream that runs into Beaver should have small mouth. as well as the lake itself. Also immediately in the NWA is the Illinois River and it's tributaries, all smallmouth waters. NWA is about five minutes away for me and in years past I fished it more than I did SWMo., but it's been long enough ago that I've forgotten details and place names. Any stream in the area other than the tailwaters of Beaver and Table Rock lakes should hold smallmouth. I think every stream in the entire Ozarks region is a small mouth bass stream, but. I haven't fished all of them, so that's just hearsay.
However a search for "Arkansas blue ribbon smallmouth bass streams" will find " Two of the best Smallmouth streams in America are located in the Arkansas Ozarks - Crooked Creek and the Buffalo River. These two streams are currently Arkansas’ only designated Blue Ribbon Smallmouth streams."
Like almost all the waters in a Ar. these are both SE of Beaver, one may be your target water.
Also nearby in Mo. is a trophy smallmouth (Neosho subspecies) stream the Elk River, roughly 1/2 hour from Rogers or about an hour from any place in NWA- https://mdc.mo.gov/fishing/regulations/special-waterbody-regulations/elk-river Headwaters of the Elk are in NWA, but pretty small waters.
[since the states promote these waters, I don't feel that I'm giving anything away]
I only know of one fly shop in NWA, McLellan’s Fly Shop, Sunbridge Dr. Fayetteville, Arkansas although Tim's Fly Shop, Cassville, Mo. is very close (1/2 hour from Beaver Dam or from Rogers, iirc) and an excellent source. Both would likely recommend guides and have suggestions for DIY outings. There is an Ozark anglers forum, mostly concerned with casting and lake fishing, but some members are fly users and almost every stream in the region has a dedicated sub-forum. Questions or PMs with members there (some of them guides) might get you more details.(feel free to PM/email me if you think I can help more)

Post 13 Jun 2021, 13:01 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks guys, you’ve given me a lot to work with. I’m hoping to bring my canoe along for the trip. Also hoping the weather cooperates as it looks like some Ozark rivers are sensitive to rain. I’ll keep you posted.

Post 14 Jun 2021, 02:00 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Take a look at Kings River too, it's out of my area but not over an hour from your location, as I recall, is pretty well talked about as floatable and a smallmouth fishery. I know there are guide services there.

And thinking only flies I forgot to mention what I think are two of the best bait/tackle/ information shops- Southtown Sporting Goods on N College Ave, Fayetteville, and Hook Line & Sinker on E Locust, Rogers,Ar
And FWIW, Rogers has a former Cabelas turned BPS

Post 16 Jun 2021, 19:50 • #6 
Master Guide
Native smallmouth are in the War Eagle Creek, King’s River and more - Elk River watershed, Illinois River watershed and White River watershed. Even the Arkansas River watershed.

NWA is the beginning of 4 watersheds. There are plenty of opportunity for native Smallies.

You need to stop in at the only local fly shop - McLellan’s in Fayetteville. Michael has led folks in the right direction for their own adventures on local streams.

I fish mainly for Smallies in NWA, SWMO, NEOK and all around.

Folks have good suggestions but McLellan’s is where ya need to start. Fishing can be great or lousy anywhere but there are plenty of opportunities here on your own. Check Ozarkanglers.com forums for more info.

If you can’t catch a Smallie here, you can’t anywhere else.

Post 16 Jun 2021, 22:41 • #7 
Master Guide
Thanks for the tips! I’ll definitely stop by McClellan’s when we’re in Fayetteville. The Kings looks pretty interesting.

Panfish, I understand what you mean by the fishing can be great or lousy anywhere - our river bass in GA have similar mood swings.

New Topic Add Reply