It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:59

New Topic Add Reply
Differences in Flylines
Post 10 Jun 2021, 13:14 • #1 
Sport
I took my two new/old rods out and cast them last night just to get out of the house for awhile. It has been in the 90s here for a week. Pretty rare for Wisconsin in early June. The two new/old rods are a Garcia Conolon 2536B and a Fenwick FF856. The Conolon 2536B liked an Air Cel WF-9F I have. I have a Rio Mainstream WF-8F Bass line that I am going to try on it also. However, I was surprised to see that the Rio 8wt. is only 15 grains lighter than the SA Air Cel 9wt. The Rio also has a 5-foot shorter head. I wonder if I'll even notice much of a difference? I also have some 7wt lines I want to try.

The Fenwick FF856, did nicely with a Cortland WF-7F 333 Rocket Taper. I have an SA Air Cel WF-6F, SA Ultra 4 DT-6F, and a Rio Mainstream DT-6F that I want to try on it, as well. The Rio DT-6F is 18 grains heavier than the SA 6 wt. lines. That's quite a difference in lines that are allegedly the same weight, isn't it? The Rio Mainstream DT-6F is only 7 grains lighter than the Cortland WF-7F 333. Looking at specs, it seems like Rio pushes the envelope on the standards, huh? It's going to be fun seeing how these perform!

I have had graphite fly rods for years, and quite frankly, I struggled with casting them unless they were overlined, and even then, I wasn't very good. Then I was doing some research on the Cabela's CGR rods, and stumbled across this site. I bought 4wt. and 5/6 wt. CGR rods as a result of what I read, and found them much easier for me to cast. I could finally feel the rod load. Cleaning up my deceased father's Shakespeare automatic reel (it's in great shape!) got me interested in vintage rods. I really like these two! Great site!

Post 10 Jun 2021, 15:51 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You should try out the Cabela CGR 7 1/2ft. 7/8 wt.It is kind of pleasant compared to the stiff 8 wt. graphites.

Post 10 Jun 2021, 16:19 • #3 
Sport
I've read lots of good things about the 7/8 CGR! However, the Garcia Conolon is pretty much a 7/8 weight, and is only 4-inches longer, so I'm good with that. Besides, my wife is gonna kill me if I buy any more fishing rods. I've got many more than I need right now! LOL

Post 16 Jun 2021, 14:48 • #4 
Guide
Many more than you need right now! Heresy! Seriously, I've got a Garcia 2536 D which is rated as a 6/7 weight. I've found that rating to be pretty much on target. I've used 5 weights up to a home made 30' shooting head 8 weight on the "D" and its performed admirably. You are absolutely right in that present day lines vary quite a bit from the "standard". Try as many as you can.

Post 17 Jun 2021, 14:35 • #5 
Sport
Thanks for the reply! The Garcia Conolon 2536B, according to a Garcia chart I found, is rated for an 8 wt. line. That is probably why the 9 wt. line performed well on it. Since I posted this, I've tried the Rio Mainstream Bass line on it as well. It is spec'd as an 8wt., but is probably an 8.5 wt. It casts well too! As I mentioned, it is only 15 gr. lighter and has a five foot shorter head. I really like that rod! I didn't do all that well with a Rio Clouser WF-7F line on it though.

The Fenwick FF856 likes both Cortland 333 WF-7F lines I have, an SA Lefty Kreh Signature WF-7F and an old (but in very good shape) SA Ultra 4 DT-6F, that I've tried so far. I'm going to try the Rio Mainstream Trout WF-6F and Rio Clouser on it soon.

Post 17 Jun 2021, 16:53 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
It seems that all Rio lines are mislabeled weight wise, but in reality just letting out a few more feet of line will add the difference of a line weight.
This is why I don't look at the line ratings marked on rods as anything more than a suggestion. Someone at the factory liked a rod best with a WF6 but for another user it will cast best up close with a level 8 and best far away with a DT5, or give it to a fellow with a longer or shorter stroke and get differing results.
If I always buy "true to weight" lines in any brand DT, it is easy to pick a heavier or lighter line for the current conditions and desired distances. Personally, I don't find the difference between a 6' taper and a 10' taper to be really significant. I quit buying lines that aren't straightforward tapers and standard weights, I'm not good (smart? sensitive?) enough to take advantage of specialized lines, "use this for upstream, this one for downstream, this line for wet flies, this line for nymphs and this one for streamers" is just confusion to me because those are all "wet flies" in my mind.
For a more delicate presentation (or less delicate) I just change the taper and length of my leader and tippet, rather than the whole outfit.
With patience I think almost any line can be used with almost any rod at the ~30' of most fresh water fishing. We should be able to cast leader only and that feat kinda proves that no fly line is too light for the rods and the rods are all capable of landing fish of more than 6 oz. so that kinda proves no fly line is too heavy for then, the rest is probably skill and technique, maybe?

Post 17 Jun 2021, 22:29 • #7 
Sport
You are probably right Trev. However, skill and technique are what I am lacking! LOL

Post 17 Jun 2021, 22:44 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Me too, that's why I stick with true weight DTs. But I've tried enough odd stuff over the years to know that many things can be made to work. I think it takes great sensitivity to appreciate 10-15 grains heavy and other specialty refinements.

Post 19 Jun 2021, 07:00 • #9 
Sport
Yep, I agree Trev... my 250cc enduro bike will go anywhere I point the front tire.... it might not get there as fast, maybe not as flashy, but it will do the job...lol

Post 20 Jun 2021, 16:38 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, Rio lines seem to be creeping heavier and heavier with each year. However, at least they seem to be mostly including that info in their marketing copy now so you usually know what you’re getting with a new line nowadays.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 18:52 • #11 
Administrator
When it comes to marketing information, don't believe anything said about fly line weights. Ten years back every new, non-DT line I measured was heavier than advertised. I found one fly line marked as a 6 weight that was nearly an 8 weight.

If you want to know the actual line weight, you will have to measure it yourself.

Tom

Post 20 Jun 2021, 19:40 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, I'm not sure what I'll do once I have to buy another standard trout line. Thankfully, the one I have on there is still going strong. For most of my other fishing, I'm throwing integrated shooting heads which generally are measured in grains anyway....makes things much easier for the type of fishing I do.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 22:58 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
clarkman23 wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure what I'll do once I have to buy another standard trout line. Thankfully, the one I have on there is still going strong. For most of my other fishing, I'm throwing integrated shooting heads which generally are measured in grains anyway....makes things much easier for the type of fishing I do.

What do you use for your musky fishing?

Post 20 Jun 2021, 23:10 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
brockton,

I use mostly SA Sonar Titan lines, intermediate through the 3d sink 7. My most used right now is a 16' type 3 sink tip (still Sonar Titan taper). For most of my 10wts, I like the 380gr (although they'll handle up to 425gr shooting heads). I do have a few other lines sprinkled in that occasionally get some use, but they're all in that 380-400gr range. Most people I know are using some form of shooting head for that type of fishing.

New Topic Add Reply