It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:17

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Jun 2021, 11:19 • #1 
Hey friends, I have narrowed down my next fly rod to either an Epic 686 FastGlass or an Orvis 686 Superfine Glass. I fish primarily the Texas Hill Country for bass, panfish, Rio Grande cichlids, carp, and gar with the occasional catfish or freshwater drum when the opportunity arises. I also fish our local tailwater for trout as well as Colorado, New Mexico, Tennessee and others for trout when traveling for work or with my wife.

I both wade fish and kayak fish and am wanting a glass rod for its feel, its versatility and its durability. I would fish this rod with an Orvis Battenkill Disc III reel paired with a SA Amplitude Grand Slam line primarily, a SA Amplitude Smooth Infinity when trout fishing, and a SA Sonar Titan Triple Density I/2/3 full sink line when fishing streamers in deeper pools.

What I'm looking for in this rod is something that as a 6wt can turn over size 4-6 streamers or poppers while also having the ability to dry fly to unsuspecting trout when the hatch is on. But, I also want the rod to still be fun when the panfish bite which is why I'm so interested in glass for my new 6wt. I also like the thought of having a very durable glass rod in my kayak for the times when a carp or large bass dives under my boat thus bending the rod in half.

6wt glass rods appear to be very versatile tools that can give me what I'm after, so I'm now trying to decide which to get. I've looked at virtually every brand out there and the Epic and the Orvis are what I keep coming back to. I already have the Orvis reel, so I'm sure the Orvis SF rod would pair nicely with it, plus it's more reasonably priced and has excellent reviews, but so does the Epic which just looks like a cool rod. But is the Epic worth twice the price for what I'm after, especially if it's going to be used in a kayak where things tend to get a little more wear than when simply wade fishing? I'd love to know your thoughts.

Have an awesome day!

Post 08 Jun 2021, 11:27 • #2 
Guide
I would highly recommend instead a ********* Western Glass rod, 8’6” 6wt 3 piece. I have one and it is in my opinion a much nicer rod with great action. The quality built and components of this rod have high standards and Dusty Smith does a great job at it.
Just my thoughts for you.

Post 08 Jun 2021, 11:33 • #3 
Hey DinoC, the thing about the ********* Western Glass rods are that they don't come with the option for a fighting butt which I really like. Both the Orvis SF and the Epic FastGlass have fighting butts.

Post 08 Jun 2021, 12:46 • #4 
Guide
I cant speak for Dusty, but my gut tells me he would make a special order for a fighting butt or have one made to your liking by one of the many rod builders here. But, w/respect to you inquiry, both are very good rods. I prefer the Epic, but only the earlier 3 piece taper.

Post 08 Jun 2021, 13:00 • #5 
Guide
My ********* 6 has a fighting butt, you can get it. I've cast the Orvis before; I don't really see it handling those heavy head lines you mentioned. However, you could go test cast one with your lines.

I've cast a Titan line on my WG 6 and it did ok; I prefer it with a more traditional line.

In all honesty, with the lines you want to cast, a fast rod may be better. Curious how other people chime in.
If the Epic has a faster tip, I'd go with that.

Post 08 Jun 2021, 14:12 • #6 
Guide
The rod I have did come with a fighting butt.
Dusty made it that way. You can request that feature.
I used to have an Epic 686 FastGlass II and in my opinion, it was too stiff. You should try a line like an SA Mastery MPX WF6F which makes most 686 rods sing.

Post 11 Jun 2021, 06:45 • #7 
Master Guide
I have the SFG 686 and I love it. i would recommend. I fish it from my kayak and warm water wading in Texas. I use the 406 Vintage DT6 which it casts like a dream. Dry flies and light streamers alike. I haven’t tried it with a sinking line but it handles a Rio versileader no problem. I’ve also over lined it with SA Mastery Bass Bug WF7 and it did well with that. I’ve caught many many many panfish on it and the bend is fun. Also landed 2-3lb LMB and up to 22” trout from a drift boat on a Montana trip earlier this year. I posted on the forum an early review and pictures of my first outing with it to test cast when I was surprised to catch green sunfish on topwater in midwinter in Dallas. Judging by that traffic on the forum I’d also say the SFG has a fabulous resale attraction when priced right, so you can start with one and sell it to get some money back for an Epic purchase if you don’t love it. The *********’s
are also fantastic btw, but I have only fished the 4wt western glass and the 3wt YS glass. Those rods are amazing so I’d bet Dusty’s 6s are stellar.

Post 11 Jun 2021, 12:26 • #8 
Guide
I want to suggest that whichever rod you get, the capability of throwing a 7 line would be useful - I see that DaveS says that an SA Mastery 7 BBT works well on the SFG 6 wt in post #7, above. My experience has been that casting a size 4 popper with a 6 weight line gets to be too much like work after an hour or so, but is noticably more pleasant with a 7 line from the 1st cast. If you use a fast action rod which thus requires higher line speeds to load the rod, then a 6 wt line would work as well as a 7, but that gets to be a lot like work too, and may be more suited to a graphite rod than a fiberglass one.

New Topic Add Reply