It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:29

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 May 2021, 08:25 • #1 
Sport
Hello all,
I have recently received a very nice Phillipson 7'6" Royal with the foul proof type of guides. I actually like the uniqueness of this guide, despite the warnings of noise and general infamy. My purchase was made after PM communication with several glass fanatics and deciding a Phillipson was a good addition to my fly rods.

The guide loops are slightly to moderately open in all but one guide, in which the loops are actually touching, like a true "foulproof" spinning guide. Is there a proper loop form? I get that it is of little concern in practical use, but wonder if I can cause them to be "correct" in form.

Any and all input on Phillipsons, and especially configured as mine, would be appreciated,
Thanks to all -Charlie

Post 14 May 2021, 10:24 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I briefly owned a Phillipson Royal with those guides. On that rod all the guides had space between the loops. When I bought it, it was thought to have been a salesman's display rod. If that is true and I have no reason to doubt it, then the guides would have been as intended. It had come out of a collection. It was just too nice for me...so I passed it along to another collector...If it had stayed with me...I would have fished it.

Based on that, I am thinking they came with space between the loops...but I only have that very limited experience, my other Phillipsons do not have those guides.

Post 14 May 2021, 12:03 • #3 
Sport
Thanks for your reply,
My rod is like new, and will get fished. Many of my rods start out as vintage like new, but I have no intention of collecting.

I'm too particular about such things anyway, but I just want to get the guides the same proportionately at the outset. By fall it will be showing some wear, and may be my primary river rod. It's silly I know, but I never buy any rod or reel that I don't think is like new.

Sorry for no topic icon, I didn't notice.

Thanks again, and hope more to follow -Charlie

Post 14 May 2021, 12:37 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds like that rod is going to get some good use. Congrats on the find.

New Topic Add Reply