It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:57

New Topic Add Reply
Long Light Glass Options
Post 13 May 2021, 09:16 • #1 
Hello all.

I am looking to add some glass. I have a 7' 4wt and an 8" 5wt. Both blue halos I built up.

I'm been looking for a while to add a new rod. I'd like something longer than 8'6" in a 4 or 5. I see McFarland has a few rods/blanks that fit that bill. Anyone with experience with those McFarland rods?

Any other makers/options I should look at? I am currently thinking of getting this new rod before late June to have ready for a few days up on the Ranch section of the Henry's Fork.

Thanks,
Dave

Post 13 May 2021, 12:25 • #2 
Master Guide
If you are thinking glass, I might suggest one of Dusty’s YS rods. I have not had the pleasure of casting one yet but have heard some great things about them. I will say that one of my favorite glass rods is a 8.5 McFarland/Seele 5 weight, but I would encourage you to get a nine footer. I fish the Ranch quite a bit, and appreciate having a 9 footer.

If you are thinking graphite, I suggest a Redington Classic Trout in the 9 foot length. Hard to beat those rods. In fact, I prefer them over most rods available today. And for $150 bucks, it’s easy to justify one if you may not use it much after this trip.

Post 13 May 2021, 13:47 • #3 
Master Guide
Yep, get in touch with Dusty at ********* Rods. I’m a fan of his 8’9” 5wt. I can’t compare ********* to McFarland, as I haven’t fished any McFarland rods, unfortunately.

Post 13 May 2021, 14:03 • #4 
Master Guide
Dave, call Dusty a ********* rods. He now rolls his own blanks and has a wide range of lengths and line weights. He has discontinued the Western 8’9” series with the exception of the 7 wt. but I’ll bet he would make you a blank. The western 8’9” 5 wt. is one of the finest long glass rods ever produced. My father has one and that’s all he fishes. Dusty also has the YS series which are a E glass/ graphite composite they are 9’ and very fine casters.
The McFarland GTX series is really nice. Their a combination of E and S glass I have fished the GTX 8’6” 5 wt. great rod.

Post 13 May 2021, 23:35 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
If you can find a McFarland S-glass rod, grab one. Tom (406 lines) has a 5wt for sale.
the 4 wt version is one of the very nicest tapers for dry fly fishing out there. As for Mike's current lineup for light rods, the GTX is very nice. My 8'6" 6wt is getting a lot of action. I haven't fished the perpetuals, but they look interesting.

All of Mikes rods are nice, but each is tailored to a specific type of fishing. Drop him a note about what you want from a rod.

Dusty also makes nice rods, but I haven't kept up with all of his rods, expecially since he has started rolling his own.

Post 14 May 2021, 01:54 • #6 
Sport
Dead Drift,

Any of Mike's rods or blanks will be top shelf and he can make you exactly what you want. I have an eight foot four weight, I built, on a Spruce Creek blank several years ago. The rod does everything I want it to do and turned out exactly how I wanted the rod to, after consulting Mike on the right blank to purchase.

Mikes contact information is on his web page. He is knowledgeable, helpful, and very easy to deal with. He will be able to build the exact rod or blank you want. He builds blanks for several well known makers, in addition to his own companies. Mikes the best of the best when it comes to rodbuilding, nice guy too.

Post 14 May 2021, 02:44 • #7 
Guide
One more for McFarland. I have GTX 8’6” 5 wt and I sincerely recommend it. Long but still crispy, a great rod for larger dry flies like hoppers or mayflies.

Post 14 May 2021, 06:32 • #8 
Master Guide
Yep, Mike was into top glass long before so many joined in - gotta respect that.
Yes, his 8'8" 4 wt is perfection on my favorite destination eastern river - that is a place that I dream of and Mike's long glass is the one...

Post 14 May 2021, 07:48 • #9 
Master Guide
I have 2 fiberglass (1 Hybrid) Mcfarland fly rods, an 81/2 6wt Parabolic and a Hybrid 81/2' 5/6/7 wt, they are spectacular he really knows how to design and build rods in glass and graphite.
I have not ever seen or cast a ********* rod though, so I can't comment on them.

Post 14 May 2021, 10:21 • #10 
Guide
I own an 8'6" 5wt and 4wt ********* Western Glass, and they are both fantastic rods. The 4wt is a very nice dry fly rod that is deadly with midges and smaller drys. It does fish dry/droppers very well. The 5wt presents itself as an all purpose 5wt that can fish all manner of flies even small streamers. I feel that Dusty has really refined his 8'6" 5wt taper and in my opinion it is truly fantastic.

I have fished the Mcfarland GTX in an 8' 4wt and it is a great rod as well. I have yet to try any of the 8'6" GTX rods but I hear great things.

Post 23 May 2021, 11:26 • #11 
Guide
I have the ********* western glass 865 3 piece and can say it is a do everything well rod. I really have enjoyed this rod. Casting is easy and intuitive. (I also have the 864 3 and the 896 4 if that tells you anything).

Don't forget to consider James Green as well on your list. Both Green and McFarland can offer you a longer blank that is tailored to your requirements based on their extensive understanding of tapers.

On Carlz's comment on the s-glass McFarland. I have one of his 8'8" 4wt rods and that thing is mind boggling. It casts delicately, or flies heaver that it should have no business casting. Recovers quickly, yet fighting fish you can feel it down into the cork while protecting light tippet, yet at the same time can handle large fish without an issue. That rod is an enigma but in a fabulous fishing way. I was tempted with Tom was selling the 5wt version of the same rod awhile back, real tempted because of the 4wt.

If you want vintage, might consider a Fenwick FF84. For a rod its age, it has aged very well; a fine rod today as it was when it was first introduced.

Post 24 May 2021, 08:51 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
To ad something different to your line up try the Steffen 8' 3/4 wt. It does a lot of things extremely well.

Post 24 May 2021, 16:58 • #13 
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I've been in touch with Mike McFarland, and he's building up his 8'8" 4/5 Perpetual rod for me. I was initially thinking about a blank to build up myself, but decided that since I've only built up two "cheaper" blanks, it would be a shame for me to muck up McFarland's blank. So, Mike's building his Perpetual for me.

I hope to have the rod mid-June, just in time for Colorado's runoff to slow down! I'll post some pictures and a review once I have my hands on the rod. I'm very psyched for a new rod.

And by the way, Mike was great to work with in discussing/planning options for the rod.

Stay Tuned ...

Dave

Post 24 May 2021, 19:53 • #14 
Guide
Hi I have an Steffen 8,6 feet #5/6 , It is an amazing rod !!
A great option for large waters and windy conditions .

TROMEN

New Topic Add Reply