It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:35

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 May 2021, 14:29 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
yeah, 6wt is a really nice line weight in glass. Just works.

Post 14 May 2022, 10:08 • #27 
Master Guide
If you are talking an all around glass rod I do not think you can go wrong with a six weight. Of course it doesn’t do everything perfect but it does everything good enough. I have an FF807, FF856, Fenglass 766-4, FF605 and Fenglass 535 that all throw a 6 wt very well, and fish great with a 5wt DT. In addition to the 406 and Cortland 444 Peach take a look at a Wulff Triple taper, GnG turned me on to this line and I really like it. All that being said one day I will spurge on either a ********* or Barclay glass rod to support American small business for a very niche market.

Post 14 May 2022, 21:24 • #28 
Master Guide
The post risks getting us back into the rod balance wars, but I would suggest that, if you go with a longer 6wt, you consider one with a short fighting butt. The Orvis SFG I picked up this winter balances really well for high sticking indicator nymph rigs. My 8’9” 5wt ********* Western Glass l, with a standard western grip, needs a big reel to balance the way I like it.

The beauty of engaging a custom maker is that they’ll do it how you want - and Dusty at ********* is a great example.

Post 15 May 2022, 15:08 • #29 
I just realized I have not posted a review. I had a great time with my ********* Rod Co. Western Glass 8’6” 6wt. I caught fish with dry flies, some as small as #20 in July - October, swinging wet flies last fall, and streamers in December. It really is fun to fish with this rod. I find myself reaching for it more than I thought I would. It is great fun to cast and has worked well for me on days when I leave the truck early and return late. I can fish it in almost any conditions, with any style I choose. Very happy with the choice.

Post 15 May 2022, 18:40 • #30 
Guide
I have a ********* Western Glass 806 that could do the trick. Bit shorter than the norm, for many folks, but for me it nearly does everything that a 6 wt. should.

Post 15 May 2022, 19:20 • #31 
Piscator
It's not on your list, and not a recommendation, but 7'6" Orvis Fullflex A was my do-it-all rod for at least half a dozen years.
Mountain trout, tailwater trout, river bass, reservoir bass, panfish.
Tiny creeks to wide open water.

Post 15 May 2022, 21:08 • #32 
Guide
I fish six weights quite a bit, mostly Phillipson bamboo rods. I have as well a fiberglass Phillipson trade rod, a "Sure Strike Special". It's an 8' two piece in tobacco colored glass, has nickel silver ferrules and is wrapped in dark green thread tipped red. It's an exceptionally good rod that casts a "long belly" WF6F line well enough that I haven't tried anything else..

Post 16 May 2022, 06:48 • #33 
Guide
Definitely talk with Dusty on a ********* , it’s a win win there , or Shane may be able to find something in a Steffen for you , basically in that order would be for considerations …

Post 16 May 2022, 07:36 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
In modern glass, the Steffen 5/6, McFarland GTX 866 are both great. Dusty has some nice rods but as my friend ZeppoVA has told me numerous times, the 7wt ********* is a great rod with either a 6 or 7wt.

I prefer the GTX but it's a light and slightly faster rod. And it is a 4pc as well.

And if 2pc is fine, a fenwick FF806 or FF79 are both great. And many vintage 8' 6wt's would be in the running.

Post 18 May 2022, 14:36 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Dryflyglass wrote:
I just realized I have not posted a review. I had a great time with my ********* Rod Co. Western Glass 8’6” 6wt. I caught fish with dry flies, some as small as #20 in July - October, swinging wet flies last fall, and streamers in December. It really is fun to fish with this rod. I find myself reaching for it more than I thought I would. It is great fun to cast and has worked well for me on days when I leave the truck early and return late. I can fish it in almost any conditions, with any style I choose. Very happy with the choice.

excellent !
The Western Glass 3wt is on my short list for next rod build.

My do-it-all is the Fenwick FF856, 8'6" 6wt.
in the same stream and same day,
#24 cdc emerger for rising trout,

#4 streamer for pike,

Post 18 May 2022, 15:43 • #36 
Master Guide
Doug,
I agree with you when it comes to a vintage 6WT I really enjoy my FF856 and is my “go to” lake/reservoir and big water 6WT. Reflecting it is probably the best “all around” of the 6WTs I have, because it is not a bad nymphing rod either … plus it hurls a triple teazer a country mile!

Quick question for the forum elders … in the heyday of glass rods wasn’t a 7WT considered the “all around” trout weight rod ?

Post 19 May 2022, 04:08 • #37 
Guide
When I was a lad, the 7 weight was considered the "All Rounder" in both glass and graphite.
Orvis sold the 8'3" graphite they called the "All Rounder" (I own 2) and it was a rod that could handle most everything. Their marketing piece was "if you want just one rod for bass,trout, panfish, and even low water salmon. The rod will handle dries, wets,streamers,nymphs,bass bugs with ease"
It is a rod built on the superfine blank that does do as they say.
I also own 7 weight glass and that rod does do it all too.
Gene Hill once wrote, the best freshwater rod is a 8 foot for a 7 and a 9 foot for a 10 weight. These rods are the 12 ga. of fly rods and will get the job done no matter the circumstances.
That was sage advice then and still apllies today.

Post 21 May 2022, 07:42 • #38 
Master Guide
Which makes me think for freshwater my 807 is my best all around rod regardless of weight …

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply