It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:45

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 May 2021, 21:01 • #1 
I am looking for a 6 wt that would be able to present dry flies or dry dropper in close as well as tossing a streamer as large as a slumpbuster in wind. I am considering a ********* Rod Co. Western Glass or Orvis Superfine Glass. Any thoughts you all may have will be much appreciated.

Post 10 May 2021, 04:10 • #2 
Master Guide
Besides the two you mentioned, CTS Quartz 866-4, Epic 686, McFarland GTX 866-4 and the Steffen 8-6 6/7.

It’s going to be tough to say what “you” are going like since all 6 have different tapers. Might want to consider older glass models, way to many good stuff there to list.

Post 10 May 2021, 06:49 • #3 
Master Guide
Dryflyglass wrote:
I am looking for a 6 wt that would be able to present dry flies or dry dropper in close as well as tossing a streamer as large as a slumpbuster in wind.

I'm thinking you could pull that off cheaply and comfortably with a vintage Fenwick FF806 and two different lines to use with it...

Post 10 May 2021, 09:01 • #4 
Guide
I think you're on the right track with your initial choices. I have the WG 6; it will do what you describe. Not sure on the SF glass.

I have the Fenwick 806 as well; It's a great rod, but to cast streamers, I'd much rather prefer something else.

Post 10 May 2021, 09:42 • #5 
Guide
I have an Orvis Superfine Glass 8' 6" six weight. It will certainly do what you want and I have owned a couple of older Phillipson 8' 2 pc. six weight rods that would work as well.

Post 10 May 2021, 12:24 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Can’t go wrong with whatever Dusty, who owns ********* Rods, suggests.

In vintage glass there are several 7 1/2’ and 8’ all-round rods to choose from. Fenwick FF806 (8') or FF-756 (7 1/2 ft) as well. Browning Silaflex 322975 (7 1/2'). Shakespeare FY-A250 (7'9"). Several Phillipsons. And there are many others. In those days, I suspect that most people had one rod that had to be pretty versatile, thus the number of good vintage choices.

Last edited by paveglass on 10 May 2021, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 May 2021, 13:10 • #7 
Master Guide
I say don't overthink it.

If you can afford a Western Glass, then that's definitely what I'd get.
If that's too heavy a lift, financially, then get the Superfine. (And then save up and get a Western Glass, too! :) )
The good news is, either choice is going to mean lots of fun and lots of fish! You can't go wrong with either one!

But know this: you only live once. If fly fishing is your thing, then you should definitely own a custom rod, at least once in your life, if you can.
In addition, Dusty is a standup guy, an honorable man, runs a great business putting out a great product, and even moreso, both he and Chris Barclay, who also builds great rods and is a great guy (according to Stella, his erstwhile 4-legged companion!! :) ), contribute to both this board and the sport by hosting conclaves from time to time. To the extent that my finances permit me to patronize small, independent rod builders, I opt to do that, assuming they put out a quality product, and both of those guys do!

The beauty of your dilemma is, there is no bad answer!

Post 10 May 2021, 14:02 • #8 
Master Guide
Vintage 7'6" Browning Silaflex

Post 10 May 2021, 16:24 • #9 
Guide
I too looked for a do it all 6wt .
I wanted a rod that would throw dries , double nymph rigs, indicator rig ,streamers, and dry droppers . I wanted a rod that would handle landlocked salmon to tailwater browns and bows on the upper Connecticut River . I knew I wanted a 9’ rod that was light in hand and had to be able to protect light tippet . After talking with Dusty I ended up ordering one of his ys glass 9’ 6wt blanks And built it out . I am so happy with this rod . It has done everything I wanted a rod to do and more . I believe this is the best all around rod for the northeast , at least for me. I have landed two land locks and a few nice lake run browns , and some huge suckers . The blank never lets you down from casting, mending and back bone to land fish . I have found my new fishing partner that will be with me every trip.

Post 10 May 2021, 17:27 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Throwing dries and streamers (not sure what size Slumpbusters--since they can be small- or medium-sized) are basically the two ends of the spectrum for 6-weights. You'll find a lot of rods that can do both, but they tend toward one with small compromises for the other.

If it's dries, then hands down, get a *********. The YS Glass 9' and the Western Glass 8'6" 6-weights should be at the top of your list. I really, really like both rods, and I'd have a hard time choosing between them.

If it's streamers, I'd lean toward the Epic 686. It can throw dries pretty well, but lacks the delicacy of the Livingstons. But it makes up for that with power in the butt section.

I've not fished the Orvis Superfine 6-weight, but my understanding from the forums here is that it splits the difference between the two, but leans a bit closer to the Epic side than the *********. Others who have more experience, please let me know if I'm getting that wrong.

Post 10 May 2021, 17:42 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Man, my Steffen 8' 5/6 does everything that it sounds like you're asking of a 6wt.....and then some.

Post 10 May 2021, 18:30 • #12 
Master Guide
desmobob wrote:
I'm thinking you could pull that off cheaply and comfortably with a vintage Fenwick FF806 and two different lines to use with it...

That was my first thought. For me, it is a fairly fast action and would certainly do the job of tossing streamers. Perhaps not up there with something new and costing hundreds more, but more than adequately.

Post 10 May 2021, 20:26 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
springer1 wrote:
Vintage 7'6" Browning Silaflex

I reviewed my recommendations above and agree with springer on this one. Among those I mentioned, this would be my top choice. It is the best all-round rod at the most affordable price today. The Browning Silaflex 7'6" 6 wt rods include 222975 that has a metal ferrule, the 322975 that has a glass ferrule, and the 022975 that has a sleeved glass ferrule and is very light.

The earlier models have the worlds sturdiest reel seat and the grips tend to be large until the later years, but they are terrific rods.

While I cannot say this for sure, a guy who should know told me that the Brownings were made of S glass, versus E glass like their competitors. What I can confirm is that Browning Silaflex rods cost $60 back in the day (well beyond my paper-route finances) when Fenwicks sold for $30.

Post 10 May 2021, 21:04 • #14 
Guide
Are you my twin brother ? Great minds think alike . I also am looking for a rod like that ! I'm not interested in old stuff though .

Post 10 May 2021, 22:26 • #15 
Master Guide
clarkman23 wrote:
Man, my Steffen 8' 5/6 does everything that it sounds like you're asking of a 6wt.....and then some.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Post 14 May 2021, 23:36 • #16 
Thank you all for your replies and PMs. I very much appreciate your input. Haven’t pulled the trigger on any rod yet. Will let you all know. Any more input would be appreciated.

Post 15 May 2021, 08:33 • #17 
Guide
To the fine list of 6 wts already mentioned, I would add a Fenwick FF75 or FF75-4. A slower (but not slow) action than many of the rods listed so far, if that action fits your needs.
And if you can find one, the FF70-4 is an extraordinary short 6 wt IMHO.

Post 15 May 2021, 09:15 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
The ability to do it all is inherent in the line and leader construction, I think, I know that I have never had a problem going from streamers to tiny dries to poppers with any moderately good 6wt or 7wt rod if I pick a decent line for the job and redesign the leader. Although I'd usually pick a 7wt over a 6wt in the doitall category. I have run of the mill vintage fiberglass rods by Fenwick, Wright&McGill, Phillipson and St. Croix 5-6-7wts in 7 1/2' - 8' that work very well at this.
However, if I was intending to use a #2 conehead with 20 turns of lead wire often or for hours, I might choose a 9wt.
Streamers vary widely in their weight, size and ease of casting, and imo there is no line weight that is perfectly suited for both a 10" 1/4 ounce wind resistant concoction and for a dace sparsely tied on #10, 6XL.
I'd just buy the pretty rod and teach it to do what I wanted.

Post 15 May 2021, 15:13 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
yeah, I was going to chime in with exactly what Trev said.

I suspect most any of the rods mentioned above would do the job, with a few different line and leader options depending on what you're doing. My only thought is that if I were looking for a "do it all" 6wt, I'd go with one of the modern 8'6" choices because I think it's more versatile than 7'6" or even 8', and I think the modern 8'6" 6wts rods are generally better than the vintage 8'6" rods. 8' and below I think the vintage rods are just as good.

I use my Epic 686 as described above, with a Rio Trout LT when I need to fish really light, the Epic Glassline if I need to fish bigger stuff, Rio Smallmouth line for bass from a boat, and a 200gr Commando Smooth skagit setup if I really want to push bigger stuff.

(It's possible I've spent way too much $$$ on lines...)

Post 16 May 2021, 04:36 • #20 
Epic 686 is my favorite

Post 16 May 2021, 06:48 • #21 
Master Guide
My 8'3" Tom Morgan 'Streamer Special' seems to do all those things very well, although I have not tried any of the other rods and see no need to do so.

Post 21 May 2021, 03:01 • #22 
I made my decision today. I ordered a ********* Rod Co. Western Glass 6wt. I will give you an update when I get a chance to fish with it. Thank you all for your input.

Post 21 May 2021, 08:33 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
This sounds like a contradiction. Are you sure you want to go this path rather than a lighter weight rod for dries and (smaller) nymphs and a stouter rod for streamers?

For streamers you could go for a less fancy rod and save up for a nicer lighter rod. Say a Cabela's (or vintage used rod) for a 6 weight and a nice custom built rod by one of the fine builders?

Post 21 May 2021, 10:56 • #24 
Sport
Great choice with the Western. Thoroughly enjoy mine. I don’t fish dries with it, but it does everything I need it to.

Post 21 May 2021, 12:40 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds like a good choice. Sure, if fishing dries I might want a lighter line, and if streamers, a heavier one, but it’s awkward to take two rods fishing, especially if covering terrain, and a 6wt is a good versatile compromise.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply