It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:50

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 May 2021, 17:39 • #1 
Master Guide
Hello, I recently completed the build of one of Dusty’s new configurations the Western 8’3” 3 piece 5 wt. I have always liked this in between length and Dusty’s version is exceptional.
The action is medium fast being more on the medium side. I thinks it’s one of the nicest *********’s I ever cast. From 15 to 55 ft. the rod is effortless, very accurate and so smooth. The blanks recovery rate is great with no tip bounce allowing for very tight loops and no air waves in the line. It will form a very nice loop with a few feet of line and leader beyond the tip. The tip is a little faster than on the Western 8’6” and 8”9” 5 wts. but works really well with this length.

The blank is unsanded, Uni S glass that feels very light in hand. I cast it with a Epic glass and 406 WF 5 F and like them both. It has some butt power for longer casts and could easily throw larger, nymphs, steamers and a dry/ dropper or indicator rig. With it’s length and superb action it would make a great spring creek rod for protecting light tippets and casting small dries and midges. I think it’s nicer than Dusty’s 8’ 5 wt. which everyone agrees is a great rod. Now that Dusty is rolling is his own blanks the quality control is fabulous. The blank is very straight and really had no spine on all 3 sections enabling me to set the guides on the it’s straights axis. Also the ferrules fit perfectly. I have always been amazed by Dusty’s glass rods/ blanks on how he achieves such small blank diameters. Just an all around wonderful new design by one of the best rod makers today!

Post 07 May 2021, 18:08 • #2 
Master Guide
Sounds like a great blank and configuration. Thanks for the review, Lanny!

Dusty makes some very, very nice rods and blanks, and is a really good guy in my experience.

Post 07 May 2021, 18:24 • #3 
Master Guide
You’re really pumping out the new builds lately, Lanny. Thanks for sharing your reviews on such a wide range of modern blanks - the new ********* sounds great.

After picking up the ********* 895, I’m looking forward to adding another ********* to the collection, preferably on one of Dusty’s new in-house blanks.

Post 07 May 2021, 21:06 • #4 
Master Guide
I bet that 835 is sweet. I’m a huge fan of the 864 western glass. And Dusty is a wonderful guy. We had a very nice conversation ahead of my Montana trip. I’m sorry I didn’t get to meet him in person. Too much ground to cover while I was in that giant state.

Post 07 May 2021, 21:29 • #5 
Guide
Sounds like an awesome rod! I have heard rumors of a 3wt in that same length configuration. Dusty is cranking out some cool stuff right now. Did you try a DT5 on the rod?

Post 08 May 2021, 10:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I'm excited to hear more about this rod. Thanks for the update. Keep it coming once you get it out on the water.

Post 10 May 2021, 14:22 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I've been thinking about a 5wt ********* rod for a while now, but could not make up my mind about which one. Thanks for helping me decide :)

Post 10 May 2021, 21:22 • #8 
Master Guide
Great, I’ll think you like it. It’s a really nice taper very enjoyable to cast

New Topic Add Reply