It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:50

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Apr 2021, 11:50 • #1 
Master Guide
Some of you may remember back in the late winter, our friend Cameron of TFM legend was pre-selling his sweet new logo patch hats. He wisely added a little incentive kicker to fuel sales. I was planning to buy one anyway because the hats looked great in prototype and I like to support the home team. But the additional chance of an entry into a raffle entry for some snappy new gear was a lovely possibility to consider.

I emailed Cameron my order and paid my bill. I promptly forgot all about the new hat that would arrive eventually. And the raffle.

Two weeks ago I was out at my friend’s ranch near Abilene Texas for a bass fishing excursion. I woke up early morning and discovered my instagram and text messages lighting up with congratulations messages because of this:

I won! The prize boxes arrived while I was visiting Montana, so I had a Christmas morning experience to look forward to when I got home on Sunday night. It is a beautiful rig:

I spooled the line on the reel yesterday. I’m going to take it to Mississippi this summer to target bass, redfish and speckled trout. I have a kayak for small water and bayou stalking, and a bass boat for deeper exploration.

This is extra fun for me because I never ever win these things.

Now back to the point. This is my first 8wt glass. My fishing question is: does anyone have any experience catching with the SFG 8884, the Hydros G4 or the SA Amplitude Bass Bug WF8F line? I’d like to hear your thoughts and any tips, advice and suggestions for getting the most out of my windfall tools. Thank you!

PS: here’s me with one of my first Montana Bitterroot browns, proudly wearing the aforementioned sweet new TFM hat, which arrived in time for me to sport on my fishing trip last week.

Post 29 Apr 2021, 12:39 • #2 
Congratulations!

Post 29 Apr 2021, 12:53 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
No help with the rod and reel info, but big congrats on the win!

Post 29 Apr 2021, 14:31 • #4 
Master Guide
Excellent! Congratualtions!

Post 29 Apr 2021, 16:20 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
nice!!!!!

Post 29 Apr 2021, 16:28 • #6 
Master Guide
Thank you!

Post 29 Apr 2021, 23:35 • #7 
Master Guide
Yes, sir!

Many congrats! Go forth and catch the fishes with it! (And post pics!)

If you're gonna win, win big, and you did!

Post 30 Apr 2021, 07:49 • #8 
Piscator
Great score - would make a nice inshore rod.

Post 30 Apr 2021, 07:59 • #9 
Master Guide
I agree, Ron. Fishing Mississippi coast first but hopefully coming your way to fish the Texas gulf coast later this summer!

Post 30 Apr 2021, 10:09 • #10 
Guide
I own the rod. I have lawn cast it with a couple of saltwater WF8F lines, a saltwater WF7F and a "long belly" WF7F salmon steelhead line and all of them worked well. I have fished it once in the salt down on the coast here in LA. as an 8 wt. and caught a few redfish and speckled trout. I like the rod and as a 4 pc. in the tube it fits in my luggage which will be a plus for a soon coming return trip to Ambergris Caye, Belize.

Post 30 Apr 2021, 10:17 • #11 
Congratulations...a very nice rig, indeed!!!! Should be a blast with a redfish on a tight line...

Post 30 Apr 2021, 10:43 • #12 
Administrator
Congratulations and stoked that a member of FFR won this outfit.

I've been really surprised how capable this 8-weight is as I first thought it was best a "light saltwater" fly rod for bonefish but on a trip to Louisiana where the tip to my Bandit broke, it kinda blew my mind how well it handled a redfish fly line and twenty to almost thirty-pound redfish.

Post 30 Apr 2021, 18:40 • #13 
Master Guide
Woo! Super excited to fish it this summer. Jimwright, yes! I also dig the fact it’s a 4pc. I have the SFG 6wt which at 8’6” is 2 inches shorter but as a 3 piece required me to get a whole new travel system for the rods I took to Montana. That’s a happy ending though because I now have a Sage 42” travel tube that I can pack about 6 rods in. And was no problem with the carry-on whatsoever.

New Topic Add Reply