It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:17

New Topic Add Reply
Grass carp ?
Post 28 Apr 2021, 16:40 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
My wife has us staying at a cabin on a small lake next week, I just found out it has some grass carp in it, as well as bass, bluegills and stocked trout.
Having caught several tons of regular carp, what can I expect from the grass carp? Flies?? Hints?? The shoreline is full of trees, and there is a lot of trees and debris in the water.

Re: Grass carp ?
Post 28 Apr 2021, 18:13 • #2 
Sport
I haven’t had a chance to fish for them.

But IMO, this guy is the premier resource for grass carp on fly.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC5T_lKUH3gVkxSraJWUVzoQ

From what I’ve seen, they tend to cruise quite high in the water. Flies are either dries or unweighted and fished high in the water column. Fly placement is usually in front of the fish along its route of travel. I’d probably try to get a small craft if possible.

I’d like to chase them, but we don’t get them over here.

Post 29 Apr 2021, 23:13 • #3 
Administrator
How do you feel about bow fishing?

The site where I used to work had a pond stocked with a few triploid grass carp about 20 years old. If I saw one coming and I stood completely still, it would swim by like a mini-submarine. If I moved, the fish would spook with a splash like throwing a cinderblock in the water. I never got one to bite and I never met anyone that had caught one.

Tom

Post 30 Apr 2021, 12:30 • #4 
Master Guide
Pond sharks! They WILL eat a well-presented ant or beetle.

Post 30 Apr 2021, 12:59 • #5 
Master Guide

Sometimes they’re rising. This pod was taking sycamore fluff off the surface. Then you can use a caddis or stonefly imitation.

Post 30 Apr 2021, 16:03 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
That's wild!

Post 30 Apr 2021, 18:18 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The accountant for the clinic where I used to work had several ponds on her ranch that she let me fish. There were some huge grass carp in one of the ponds. Several times as I was walking the bank, one of these monsters lurking next to the bank would just explode, scaring the crap out of me. My heart rate probably spiked up to 200 beats per minute for at least a few seconds.

Larry

Post 03 May 2021, 10:51 • #8 
Guide
They like to eat cottonwood seeds (the state tree of Kansas) so when those are flying I try to throw a few of these or something similar...

Image Image

I gotta admit, I've only ever hooked one; they are the spookiest and pickiest fish I've ever experienced! But that one took me up and down the lake three times; threw the hook just as I was landing him for a pic. But what a rush...

Post 04 May 2021, 17:56 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
they used to stock these in the trout lakes in S. Africa, theory being the carp would keep the weeds down. The only thing that ever worked to catch them, was #10 Muddlers fished dry and not moved.. cast out near a patrolling fish and wait for them to come up. We believed they took these for grasshoppers but who knows really.

Haven't found them anywhere in the US, except for once in a pond at a Boy Scout camp. I fished an hour or so using a small elk hair caddis with a green body, hooked one briefly, think I struck too fast. The take is very deliberate, wait for them to go down before striking. Try a strip-strike instead of a trout strike.

I've heard credible reports of catching them on small nymphs but never managed that myself.
Walk very quietly, they are very sensitive..

The grass carp is unlike the common carp as they are primarily weed eaters. The common is an omnivore like humans, so easier to find something it will eat..

Post 04 May 2021, 20:09 • #10 
Guide
Tie some hair to a piece of bagel crust and toss it out there ;)

Post 05 May 2021, 15:02 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Last one i hooked took a sz10 egg sucking leach and nearly spooled me.There was group of about 5or6 sunning in blow down willow.I saw one of the "logs" move.Threw into them 20 or 30 times before one took it on the drop.Finally,well about 30 seconds later with just a few wraps of backing left i broke him off.

New Topic Add Reply