It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Apr 2021, 16:44 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Last summer a fire had burned large swaths of the park, much of which was closed until earlier this year. From what I'd read the effect had been largely beneficial -- a lot of terrain had burned many times in the past, and was probably overdue. After the winter rains (or what little we have received so far), the grass was greening and the wildflowers were blooming.

I wanted to skip the spring break crowds, so I started hiking just after dawn on Sunday, having taken Monday and Tuesday off from work.

The day was warm and sunny. The vibrant green hills and the explosion of wildflowers made the hike a technicolor wonderland.

There were a lot of ups and downs, over two thousand feet worth. The burn scars were evident.

After about eleven miles I got a glimpse of the south end of the lake.

After another mile I stopped to camp, started filtering water, and pitched my tarp. I set up my packraft, an Alpacka Scout, and got out on the water around 1:30pm.

The lake had been largely spared by the fire, but I marveled at how some of the hills which had been covered with chaparral were now nearly bare.

I fished my trusty Fenglass 6wt, paired with a White River Fly Shop classic 4/5wt click reel (aka glorified line holder), and a closeout Orvis Bass WF6F line (textured, I think).

It had been a while since I'd fished this lake in the springtime, thanks to the lockdown, and I started out with streamers.

I did manage to catch one on a foam dragonfly (Alter's Dragontail).

The wind picked up, and it had been a while since I'd fished the floating bugs here, so I switched back to streamers. I caught a few more, then packed it in for the evening. The wind kept up all night, which wasn't so bad because it kept condensation from forming.

Next morning was breezy, mixed with calm periods. I started with streamers.

Slowly I started to observe surface activity in wind-sheltered areas.

Towards late afternoon the shadows grew, and I started tossing out foam gurglers. One in particular, tied with purple foam and pumpkin silicone legs seemed to attract a lot of attention. Though in low-light conditions I am not sure that such niceties matter much.

The water was pretty clear, and I could see schools of bass at times. There are probably not many large fish in this lake, but they are plentiful and aggressive, and I always manage to catch several dozen. For someone who enjoys hiking and paddling, the fishing is just a bonus.

The evening was again windy, and the next day dawned cooler. The hike out is actually a bit more strenuous than the hike in, so I was grateful for the cooler weather. I started around 7:30am and returned to the car before 1pm.

Post 21 Apr 2021, 17:38 • #2 
Master Guide
Wow, looks like an awesome trip nice looking bass.

Post 21 Apr 2021, 18:12 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Great pics, great story. If left alone, Mother Nature can sometimes be forgiving and provide, for those interested, a beautiful palette of color.

Post 21 Apr 2021, 18:28 • #4 
Sport
WOW! Beautiful area and pics. Thanks for the post!

Post 21 Apr 2021, 19:14 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome trip! Thanks for sharing!

Post 21 Apr 2021, 19:19 • #6 
Master Guide
That was a great trip, with dandy pictures, and lots of fish! Good job! Thanks for taking us along!

Post 21 Apr 2021, 19:29 • #7 
Sport
Spectacular and motivating. Thanks much for sharing.
p.s.I was fishing my little 3 wt fenglass from brookies yesterday. Hope to have my own 6 wt fenglass out for some early season bass next week! great rods for the $ . They fit my casting style and needs nicely.

Post 21 Apr 2021, 21:17 • #8 
Guide
Thanks for the report. It'll be awhile before we see wildflowers, so I appreciate your photos. Could you identify that beautiful tree in the first pic? Thanks!

Dan

Post 22 Apr 2021, 10:10 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks everyone.

The tree in the first picture is an oak. There are a number of species in the park: valley oaks, coast live oaks, blue oaks, black oaks. Some of them can hybridize, like subspecies of rainbow trout.

Post 22 Apr 2021, 15:38 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Nice fish!I also liked that tree in the first pic.

Post 22 Apr 2021, 18:49 • #11 
Master Guide
Awesome- thank you for taking the time to share!

Post 26 Apr 2021, 18:28 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
terrific, thank you..

I like the looks of the White River Classic, they got that one right..

Post 26 Apr 2021, 19:59 • #13 
Sport
so what is it like fishing from a packraft?I use a fishcat for some of my walk in lakes.It is kinda heavy
so built an electric 1 wheel game cart to haul the fishcat, getting too complicated.

Post 27 Apr 2021, 15:01 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
When someone asks "what's it like ?" I'm never sure what to say ...

Imagine casting from a platform which is almost constantly in motion. You have to make micro-adjustments with your paddle, be aware of line management, and so on at all times. And there is limited space, so you have to think carefully about what you bring.

When I was younger I spent a lot of time rock climbing, mountaineering, and so on. On a multipitch trad climb you have to manage the rope(s), deal with gear, not carry too much "stuff", etc. or else you will end up spending the night, or worse ...

Packraft fishing isn't for everyone, but I enjoy the challenge, and being able to paddle where ever I want, and the feeling I get from exploring the water.

An inexpensive way to try it out might be with a Klymit LWD, and the Advanced Elements Ultralite pack paddle.

(The paddle in the above shot is a Supai Olo, which costs roughly four times as much, but a good bit lighter; that is how backpacking gear works :) )

I don't use waders; there are much lighter waterproof pants made for paddling (Kokokat and Level Six make good ones), and some water shoes. Or if it isn't that cold you can just wear rain pants and neoprene socks with your water shoes. If it's hot, like in the photo above I skip the rain pants, too.

Do think about a PFD (life jacket); getting suddenly dumped into trout-cold water could be a pretty serious problem. And I never bring a rod / reel on a raft that I would be upset to lose ... this is where those inexpensive Chinese rods come in.

New Topic Add Reply