It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Apr 2021, 03:25 • #1 
Guide

Recently picked up a reel to go with my Edgar Sealey 8.5 ft Black Arrow fly rod. The reel that is in good working order but minus part of the label , is a Twin Fish Standard made by I believe Sharpes of Aberdeen. It would have had the Edgar Sealey badge when new. The outfit was great to use and this Brownie made the drag sing!

Post 16 Apr 2021, 05:51 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice rod, reel, and fish!

Post 16 Apr 2021, 06:10 • #3 
Master Guide
Very nice set up! And a very nice brown trout!

Post 16 Apr 2021, 10:07 • #4 
Piscator
Nice score and great fishing.
Sharpes has made reels since the 30s, some that old are tough to tell from Dingley of Alnwick, and of course your example is a virtual Condex twin. Before making reels, the first reels they sold were sourced from Dingley and Young.
And of course many Redditch reels were marked for Edgar Sealey.

Post 16 Apr 2021, 14:11 • #5 
Guide
Thank you!

Post 16 Apr 2021, 18:31 • #6 
Master Guide
Very cool, I haven’t seen aSealey rod before.

Post 20 Apr 2021, 12:06 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
very nice..

we used to get Sealey hooks, to fish for carp in S. Africa, now there's a memory.
Never seen any of their other tackle, until now ;-)

Post 30 Apr 2021, 17:06 • #8 
Guide
Argyll trout fisher, thanks for posting about that outfit. It aroused my curiosity in a couple different ways.

First off, occasionally I see those Sealey rods come up on the UK auction site and wonder about their quality and the origin of their blanks. For example, it seems that one came up and it was advertised as being built on a Fibatube blank. So do you know who made their blanks or if the Edgar Sealey company made their own?

Also, as Ron (Bulldog) pointed out, the reel looks basically the same as a JW Young Condex, yet your reel is set up for left-hand retrieve. Does it work just as well for you that way?

Post 05 May 2021, 23:01 • #9 
Sport
That is classy looking rod & reel!

Post 09 May 2021, 21:48 • #10 
Guide
Not entirely sure about the sources of Edgar Sealey blanks but given the reel here clearly they sold tackle manufactured by other companies with their branding. Not sue ifI’ve come across a rod of ears on a fibatube blank but would think it was entirely possible. Yes the left hand retrieve setting on this reel works perfectly. The reel interested me because it was similar to Sharpes The Gordon reel initially, who were based in Aberdeen, Scotland. The Young’s connection is of course very interesting also. There are Edgar Sealey rods on Conlon live blanks - Glane range . I have a 10ft 3 piece Glane in great order that I have fished a few times. It’s a heavy rod but like other Edgar Sealey rods is very well made and robust. They also come in great rod bags with yellow stud fasteners .

New Topic Add Reply