It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:14

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Apr 2021, 09:08 • #1 
Guide
So I am finally a member of the Barclay club. As some of you know, I build my own rods. Chris was gracious enough to sell me a cosmetically blemished 7 ft 6 wt "lil stiffy" blank. I finally put the rod through its paces today. Chris, as many of you know, us a modest guy. The fact of the matter is that this blank is nothing less that the most versatile fly rod I have ever used. I originally took Chris up on this opportunity because of the lil stiffys reputation of being able to throw big flies out of a 7 foot package (perfect for tight new england pond fishing). I first tried it with the recommended 6 wt sa titan long, (210 grains aka 8 wt) and was making 45 ft casts with poppers, deer hair divers etc. From there I decided to try other lighter lines. So I walked it back to a sa anadro 6 (200 grains) Titan 5 (185 grains) 406 dt 6 (160 grains) sa VPT 5 (140 grains) and SA ART 4 wt (120 grains). Finally, just for $$$$$ and giggles I cast the SA Titan 7 (240 grains) I use for stripers on my Cts affinity x 8 wt, just to see what would happen. First of all, this is fast glass, the rod casts more like graphite and loves a double haul. It likes shorter heads, so the anadro with its 60 ft head got a bit sluggosh. What made this rod amazing though was the way it handled every line I put in it. In the lower weights, (4 and 5) I was throwing size 12 and 14 Adam's 60 ft with deadly accuracy out of a 7 ft rod. Presentation was everything you would expect out of a rod you would find marked 4 or 5 wt. On the ultra high end of the spectrum, the Titan 7, I was throwing the diver pictured below 35 ft in a crosswind. The rod never felt like it was ready to collapse, it simply became a shorter range rod. Similarly, the Titan 6 showed good range and accuracy with big weighted wooly buggers and clousers. Yet despite all this capacity, I felt every head shake from the sunfish I caught. So where I used to go to a pond with 4 different rods, now I can take one rod and 4 different reels for the same effect. The lil stiffy is a masterpiece and far more of a rod than Chris ever made it out to be.

Post 11 Apr 2021, 09:53 • #2 
Master Guide
Excellent review! There's no doubt Chris makes great rods!

Post 11 Apr 2021, 20:39 • #3 
Master Guide
And quite a looker you've built out of it, I might add. Is that a Ross Animas previous generation I spy paired with it in the lower pics?

Post 11 Apr 2021, 21:58 • #4 
Guide
Why yes it is, I also have a newer gunnison with just a little rim rash arriving any day now. Top is a hardy cadd 567, it's a bit too light. I love this grip shape because I automatically choke up or down to keep the fulcrum under my middle finger. The animus balances well at 5 oz or so. When I was testing the Titan 7 it was attached to a 7.5 oz orvis hydros sl, still balanced reasonably well.

Post 12 Apr 2021, 08:24 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful build and great review. Sounds like an awesome rod!

Post 12 Apr 2021, 14:15 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I am really liking those acrylic reel seats.Nice rod.

Post 12 Apr 2021, 20:56 • #7 
Sport
Striking rod.

Post 12 Apr 2021, 21:32 • #8 
Guide
Thanks

Post 13 Apr 2021, 01:05 • #9 
Master Guide
Ericdimarzio , Great work,That build is top notch .
I really dig that cork work and the color ways .
Is that one of the new Proof acrylic reel seats ?
I’ve seen those on Matt’s site but hadn’t seen one used just yet.
It looks awesome on your build.
I’m definitely gonna check out your page.
Looking forward to seeing more Of your Glass builds
Ottobahn

Post 13 Apr 2021, 05:17 • #10 
Guide
The hardware is lemke, the seat I turned myself out if the same acrylic I used in the grip. My trademark on my graphite builds are wooden grips. So I do all my own turning. I just don't post here as wood generally doesn't work on full flexing rods

New Topic Add Reply