It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:27

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Apr 2021, 07:48 • #1 
Sport
I have not posted a trip report in the past. I have never been so motivated, although I do enjoy reading other's reports, especially from areas I enjoy or think I would enjoy fishing. I live in the heart of the bustling North East, and my local waters do not have the same panache as those even a couple of hour drive my my home, but they can and do fish very well, and the scenery can be lovely, and soothing, nothing like the daily veneer my state offers.

But let me tell you about yesterday. Spring, she woke up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes, she graced me with temperatures in the mid 60's and small overnight showers that added just a little extra water to the stream, and a tiny bit of stain to the water. She roused the bugs from their slumber, and while no prolific hatch events occurred, there were bugs on the air, and on the surface all day.

I had the opportunity to fish a delightful new rod, a Ben's of Holland 7'0" 3# build by Shane Gray, along with a new line a new leader, and a repurposed reel that saw remarkably little use in the past.

The rod is what I was hoping for, aside from being beautifully built by Shane, flawless can be used to describe it, the rod and I got along very well with delicate accurate casts from very short lines where I am flicking the leader and maybe a foot of fly line, to more moderate distances as this stream allows.

The stream is a tiny little creek which flows along a road. It should be nobodies secret, it is well published in state fish and game documentation, and even has special state designation as a wild brook trout stream. It comes complete with a handful of pull offs to park in. I have been fishing this stream for years, and have only seen one other group on it during all of my trips. It is lovely pocket water, with some deeper, but small pools.

The stream fished yesterday as good or better than I have ever seen it fish in the past. Aggressive brookies were found in every nook, cranny and pocket that you would expect a trout to hold. They were fussy as they should be about presentation, but would eat confidently when I got the right drift through their holding water.

These are not big fish, although I did hook, and lose (do to my own error) something of some significant size which wrapped me around a sunken branch, and get enough slack in the tippet to unbutton the barbless hook. I am bad at estimating (guessing) the size of fish in hand, let alone one in the water, but I would expect 12" which would be the grand daddy of this stream. Most are 4-6" with the occasional larger one available. I like bigger fish, but I like wild native fish better, and given my home state this means smaller fish. But they do hold a spot in my heart.

Mayflies were out and busy working on the next generation. I believe this is a Hendrickson.

I fished one fly yesterday, and I am impressed with myself in that it was probably eaten 50 times, and held together fine. It is the CDC and Elk, one of my favorite patterns. I typically get frustrated on the upkeep of fishing CDC flies with the drying, and the dusting with magic powder to keep it floating well. Yesterday was different. I found this methodical act of preening the fly to be cathartic, and it slowed me way down and made me more observant of my surroundings and the creek in front of me. I wound up fishing very little of the publicly accessible section of this creek. I typically fish the entire stretch. Yesterday was different. Spring offered me up wonderful conditions, and the trout kept me very busy catching, reviving, releasing, fussing over my fly, observing and repeating. By the time my wife text me about making dinner plans, I was not at all upset about leaving the stream. I had caught and met plenty of trout. I did not need to catch them all. I left leaving the upper section unmolested and fresh for someone fortunate to swing by that creek today.

Welcome back Spring, I sure did miss you. Thank you for your bounty and renewal. If I do not get another day of fishing like yesterday all season, I will still be a happy man.

Post 11 Apr 2021, 08:52 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for sharing. A spring day with brook trout is pretty much perfect.

Post 11 Apr 2021, 09:51 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
What a wonderful day you had and your prose had me with you. There definitely is something special about fishing small streams and their environment. No rush. No hurry. Just moving along and enjoying the moment. Thank you for sharing your day.

Post 11 Apr 2021, 10:02 • #4 
Master Guide
That was a most excellent story, well written, great pics. It made me feel like I was there with you. And it made me want to welcome spring back, as well.

Great job! Please write more stories of your adventures!

Post 11 Apr 2021, 10:50 • #5 
Guide
Nice write-up and pictures, looks like beautiful day. I had great day few weeks ago in SNP in VA. Brookies and browns were crushing size 14 Mr. Rapidans.

Post 12 Apr 2021, 08:25 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome report!

Post 12 Apr 2021, 08:35 • #7 
Master Guide
Great report and pics!

Post 12 Apr 2021, 20:18 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty water and fish !

I'm a big fan of the CDC & Elk, too. Simple to tie, and fish in creeks love it.

New Topic Add Reply