It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:38

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Apr 2021, 18:58 • #1 
Sport
I am preparing for a 2+ week Western fishing trip for September of this year. My ultimate destination is the Missoula Mt. area. I have a son in Northern Colorado, and I am thinking of working my way up through Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.

My plans are to camp and fish smaller lesser known tributaries of some of the famous drainages. and camping hopefully by these waters. I am a fairly well outfitted Eastern fisherman, which means I have a nice selection of 3 and 4 weight fiberglass rods. I feel like I need something a little bit bigger, such as a 5 or maybe a 6 weight as well to round out my options. While I have some graphite alternatives in these weights, I really would like to acquire a fiberglass rod in this weight for the trip, but I would not like to break the bank as it will not get frequent use in my usual small creek eastern haunts.

I am looking for suggestions on a rod, (and of course a reel as what fun is buying only one without the other) for this trip. I do not plan on doing any floats, and if I did, I am not too proud to use the guides gear. I am a dry fly preferentialist for my fishing, and chose September for the trip hoping for a steady hopper bite, and a bit of cooler temperatures. I will nymph if that is the best alternative, although would likely go dry/dropper instead of a dedicated nymphing rig. Streamers are not really my game so not a consideration in selection.

Let's not set a budget, but be reasonable considering the limited use this rod will have under normal circumstances. I am thinking something with something a bit retro, and if possible regionally significant. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post 07 Apr 2021, 19:08 • #2 
Guide
If it were me a would take a look at the ********* Western Glass 8'6" 5wt or 6wt. Also, might look at CBarclay 82 4/5wt. Especially if you have the 3/4wt covered.

Post 07 Apr 2021, 20:50 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
If you are interested in vintage options which can be had in the $150 range and a 2 pc rod will work in your plans.

Fenwick FF-79, 8 ft, 6 wt, 2 pc and (IMHO) the best dry fly taper Fenwick ever made. Here you can see it performing on even a tiny stream catching wild cutthroats.

Fenwick FF-805, 8 ft, 5 wt, 2 pc. Great all-around rod that is not too strong for smaller streams but will cast a variety of flies. This would be a bit better than the FF-79 for big hoppers or throwing weight and fishing underneath.

Fenwick FF-806, 8 ft, 6 wt, 2 pc. This powerful and smooth rod will do everything you want and casts larger flies, streamers, and weighted nymphs, but you'd want to supplement it with one of your 4 wts for smaller water.

I think the FF-79 could go on a trip like that as your only rod, especially if you will be fishing the tributaries and not the big rivers.

Other options I'd recommend are:
Browning 322975, 7'6" ft, 6 wt, 2 pc
Browning 022975, 7'6" ft, 6 wt, 2 pc (lighter than most vintage rods at 2.8 oz)
Shakespeare FY-A250, 7'9", 6 wt, 2 pc
Shakespeare FY-A250, 8', 5 wt, 2 pc
Phillipsons in these lengths and weights but they cost more.

In any case, your instincts are correct about a 5 or 6 wt rod that is 7'6" to 8' in length. Others may offer a different opinion for certain unique rods, but I think that most of the vintage rods over 8 ft get a little loose. Can't speak to the more modern glass, however, as I don't have any...but you won't find them for $150. All of the rods mentioned here fall in that price range, and several can be readily found.

Post 07 Apr 2021, 21:11 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
For September, I have a hard time arguing against a 6-weight as the primary rod weight for fishing around here.

If you have family out West, I think you can make a decent case that you’ll be back periodically. Which makes a nicer rod more worth it in the long run.

The ********* Western Glass and YS Glass are hard to beat for your criteria. You will find they are both light and delicate enough for dries while the increased mass of a 6-weight line handles hoppers better than a 5-weight. They are the most delicate glass 6-weights I have fished. I am moving toward a 6-weight as my rod of default on most of our waters. I also generally prefer longer rods here, even in the tightly wooded places like the NW.

It’s more expensive (unless you build it), but I’d stay away from an Epic at the 6-weight. The 686 is a great rod, but it’s geared more to the streamer and nymph side of the 6-weight.

If that is too much, an Orvis Superfine might be a good choice. Below that, I haven’t fished vintage or budget rods in this line weight. I’m sure others can chime in if that’s what you’re looking for.

Post 07 Apr 2021, 22:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I think Donny has pretty much covered the vintage rod aspect very well. If you are flying to your destination, 2pc rods can sometimes prove problematic. Magicmike mentioned Chris Barclay’s 8’2” 4/5 Tailwater Special. I have that rod and love it. I like to use a DT5 on it, but it will readily work with 4wt line. Very accurate and good butt strength.

Post 07 Apr 2021, 23:50 • #6 
Master Guide
I’ve been impressed with the ********* 8’9” 5 weight as an all around trout rod. The ********* 8’6” 5 weight is also highly regarded. Although the rod lineup is called Western glass and designed with Western rivers in mind, I find that the 895 is excellent on medium/large trout water in the Southeast. I would recommend contacting Dusty (aka Dustdog) from ********* rods for his input.

Post 08 Apr 2021, 03:48 • #7 
Guide
LL Bean is offering a 4 piece tip over butt S-glass fiberglass rod this year, will be available in late April. I have the 5 weight on order. At $199.00 it will be hard to beat, also offered as a package with their LL clicker and line for $299.00.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/125147? ... llow&pos=9

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/125429? ... low&pos=12

Post 08 Apr 2021, 22:57 • #8 
For even the larger rivers a 4 or 5 wt is fine, (I'm from Montana and went to school in Missoula). Consider driving over to Idaho and trying the Lochsa, it's not far. I fish it with a 3wt but a heavier rod would be better, lots of 16" Cutts.

Take a look at Prairie Drifter rods, something a little different from the more well known brands. I have a 3 pc 5 wt fiberglass that I like a lot.

Post 08 Apr 2021, 22:58 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I like Donny(paveglass)’s idea of an FF79. I haven’t taken mine out west (I’ve always flown out) but have gotten plenty of use out of it on eastern trout streams, and would use it more if tight cover doesn’t so often call for a shorter rod. Although I haven’t specifically used it for hoppers, have used it with 10-12 foams spiders and bream poppers, and should do fine with small hoppers. Some other 6 wts might be better hopper choices (of mine, I’d say FF786 and FF80-4 in the same $$ vein), but I think an eastern dry fly preferentialist would have a happy revelation about the FF79.

You’ve gotten good advice about modern 6 wts, but I do think a 6 is what you should have for hopper season.

Have fun.

Post 09 Apr 2021, 15:36 • #10 
Master Guide
Some great suggestions and advice here. Since you already have glass rods that you like for small waters, a 6wt and maybe also a 5wt would round things out nicely for you.

For western waters in the larger creek to small to mid-size river category, an 8' 5wt glass rod (or even 7'9") is really hard to beat for walk-and-wade type fishing (my favorite) in my opinion. Add an 8' to 8 1/2' 6wt glass rod for larger flies/fish or somewhat larger waters.

I would think that a 7'9" to 8' 5wt would be a handy eastern rod as well. If you'll only buy one glass rod and won't be fishing really large water with it, perhaps an 8' 6wt would be the way to go (also a handy rod for eastern waters I would imagine).

Enjoy your trip!

P.S. - There is nothing un-stealthy or un-finesseful about well-made glass 5wt's and 6wt's, plus they are so much more versatile than 4wt's and below when it comes to fly sizes, wind, keeping large trout from diving under a logjam or rock ledge, etc. They are also great for putting small dries up under the bankside willows, including ants, beetles, etc....plus they handle the late season hoppers better than the lighter line weights. Great for taking a single rod on a day long walk and wade venture. Just saying.

Last edited by LeoCreek on 09 Apr 2021, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post 09 Apr 2021, 19:21 • #11 
Guide
My two cents as a westerner is the 4 weight will cover you from tiny creeks all the way up to larger waters like the South Platte or Poudre (near your son, as luck would have it). All the moreso given that you’re a dry fly guy.

So many out-of-towners opt for the 5-weight bobber and lead rig that they miss the lunkers sipping dries on the bank right next to them. If your plan is to fish tribs, skip the 5 and 6 weights. Opt for stealth and finesse. A 4 weight will handle dry-dropper rigs no problem too.

If you’re looking for an excuse for a new rod though, I have a Scientific Anglers System 7 that I use primarily for streamers on larger waters, but paired with a good double taper it’s a pretty good all-rounder for larger dries, dry-droppers, and heavy nymph rigs.

Post 09 Apr 2021, 20:26 • #12 
Master Guide
The West can get windy, and a 6 wt is not a bad idea.

I'm going to agree with Glacier Rambler.

Either an Orvis Superfine Glass 8'6" 6 wt, at around $450, if dollars are tight, or the ********* Western Glass in 6 wt at 8'6" or 8'9", at $600 and $650, respectively.

If you decide to go Orvis, I'd cool my heels and see if somebody runs a sale around Father's Day, or 4th of July, mebbeso Reelflyrods or some such.

To be honest, were it me, given the fantastic trip you are talking about, 2+ weeks in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, I'd order a Western Glass from Dusty. You only live once, and you're going off on a great adventure, and I can think of nothing better than going prospecting out there with one of Dusty's glass rods. Yes...they are that good.

Let us know what rod you decide on, and we eagerly expect pics from your trip! Dunno exactly where you'll be, but I'll be out there as well in September. I'll be in Yellowstone for about a week, then slide up to Glacier to meet my bro and his wife. Last year for my birthday on July 1 I called Dusty and ordered a 5 wt. I'm thinkin' this year I may order a 4 or 6 wt from him for my birthday. My dog, Harley Quinn, an Airedale, is highly recommending that her daddy do this! :)

Post 10 Apr 2021, 02:54 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
If you’re into rodbuilding or know someone that is, the Aventik 8’1” 5-weight blank makes a nice fly rod. I’ve used mine fir western fishing with no regrets. I think these are also available as built rods and pretty cheap, but most people don’t care for the single-foot guides on them.

Post 10 Apr 2021, 07:57 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I like the McFarland GTX 8'6" 6wt. And I'm sure the ********* would do well, but I would consider a 9' 6wt light, softer graphite rod or 9' 5wt graphite that will double as a 6wt. There are plenty used 4pc rods that are reasonably priced, but some are lighter than others. Where you need a heavier weight rod out west, the extra length will come in handy. A high end glass rod (McFarland or Livingstone) are relatively light and useful for nymphing, but there are some nice medium fast graphite rods out there that are better suited to nymphing.

Grrraphite. Just indulge :hat

Post 10 Apr 2021, 08:19 • #15 
Guide
Early autumn in the Rockies... Excited for you!
I know I would feel completely covered heading out each day with one 5wt and one 6wt from the four below rods.
Truth be told, any one of these four rods would work well in most of those waters under most early autumn conditions.

Vintage:
FF79

Modern: (alphabetically)
Barclay 8’2” 5wt
Kenney 8’3” 5wt
********* 8’6” 6wt

Post 10 Apr 2021, 09:25 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
While you can't currently order a new one, I'd also keep your eyes peeled for a Steffen 5/6 on the secondary market. I have the 8' and it's been my primary Deschutes/Metolius/do everything trout rod for the last 15 years.

Not to mention a few good 5 & 6wt rods for that application currently in the classifieds.

Post 10 Apr 2021, 10:03 • #17 
Piscator
The problem with early autumn - everything is happening everywhere, and you can't be everywhere.

Post 10 Apr 2021, 10:04 • #18 
Master Guide
I like my ********* Western Glass 8’9” 5wt a lot. If you can find a clean one, a Scientific Anglers System 5 would be a great vintage rod. The extra foot on the ********* rod makes it quite a bit heavier in my hand. Ultimately, I agree with the posts above that advise that if you are walk-wading tributaries, a 4wt with some backbone is probably your best solution.

Post 10 Apr 2021, 10:25 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
clarkman23 wrote:
While you can't currently order a new one, I'd also keep your eyes peeled for a Steffen 5/6 on the secondary market.

Why can’t you order a Steffen now? I know Mark’s cutback and is approaching retirement, and it’s not a bad idea to order what you want, but hadn’t heard he wasn’t taking orders.

But in that vein, Chris Barclay has announced that he’s not taking new orders now so he can catch up on life/business. A couple of people have recommended his 8’2” Tailwater Special, which is a splendid rod, but I guess you’d be restricted to the secondary market for that. Of course, that’s the case for an FF79, or a number of other rods recommended in this thread.

Post 10 Apr 2021, 10:35 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
"Why can’t you order a Steffen now? I know Mark’s cutback and is approaching retirement, and it’s not a bad idea to order what you want, but hadn’t heard he wasn’t taking orders."

Yes, he's definitely cut way back, but the last time I talked to him (about 6 or 8 months ago) He mentioned that he (at that time) wasn't taking any new orders and was going to get caught up (9 or so months out) with his current orders and then mull whether or not to just retire. I was going to send back my 7/8 to get the butt section replaced because I fell on it and scratched it up pretty good (doesn't appear to have any structural damage---but one can never be too certain), opted against it due to the wait time at that point & the fact that I had caught several steelhead on it with no problem (not like a graphite rod where if you nick it anywhere, you run the risk of it exploding at any point).

man, I wish he hadn't cut so far back as I would love to get my hands on a 10/11 that he made for a short bit.

Post 10 Apr 2021, 10:40 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Gosh, you could expand the niche or broaden your options. Western rivers, just as in Eastern "streams" or rivers, where there is potential for big fish on big water using big flies, and in fiberglass, that would be a "river rod." Search that phrase here for many suggestions. A fiberglass all arounder, 6 or 7 weight, will do all a 5 will and a whole lot more much more efficiently. In fiberglass, the old standard to cover a range of possibilities is rods in increasing length of 6 inches to a foot in two-line weight increments. A four, a six, and an eight. Or a three, a five, and a seven, 7 to 8 1/2 feet, maybe 9.

Post 10 Apr 2021, 11:04 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
clarkman23 wrote:
"Why can’t you order a Steffen now? I know Mark’s cutback and is approaching retirement, and it’s not a bad idea to order what you want, but hadn’t heard he wasn’t taking orders."

Yes, he's definitely cut way back, but the last time I talked to him (about 6 or 8 months ago) He mentioned that he (at that time) wasn't taking any new orders and was going to get caught up (9 or so months out) with his current orders and then mull whether or not to just retire.

Thanks for the info. I’d thought about ordering another rod from him, but pretty much decided to go forward with just my 8’ 3/4 of his. Probably should have gotten something before he reduced his offerings, but it’s not like I don’t have rods to fish.

Post 10 Apr 2021, 11:16 • #23 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
The problem with early autumn - everything is happening everywhere, and you can't be everywhere.

One of the truest statements you'll ever hear. In each area try to concentrate on one or two locations. You can always come back next year, right?

A six weight longer rod is a real advantage in the West. Between wind and brush behind you getting your line higher is a real advantage. The six weight line because unlike a lot of places a 20"+ fish can come out of anywhere. If you do take a guided float trip the longer rod will be invaluable. Just don't let the guide talk you into bobber nymph "fishing". You'll catch fish but it's a soulless experience.

Tom

Post 10 Apr 2021, 12:04 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Just don't let the guide talk you into bobber nymph "fishing". You'll catch fish but it's a soulless experience.

Isn't that the truth!

Post 10 Apr 2021, 12:25 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Upstreeam wrote:
Thanks for the info. I’d thought about ordering another rod from him, but pretty much decided to go forward with just my 8’ 3/4 of his. Probably should have gotten something before he reduced his offerings, but it’s not like I don’t have rods to fish.

Give him a call, he may have changed his mind.

Quote:
A fiberglass all arounder, 6 or 7 weight, will do all a 5 will and a whole lot more much more efficiently.

totally agree here. Shoot, my Steffen 5/6 (6wt) is my go-to for small streams I can jump across all the way up to big tailwaters.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply