It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:12

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Apr 2021, 12:58 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
One reason I take a 6wt out west is that the dates are set and I can’t pick and choose conditions. Locally, if the 3wt water is gonna be blown out, I can shift gears; maybe to 6wt water, or that home project that keeps getting shoved down the priority list.

Post 10 Apr 2021, 21:31 • #27 
Master Guide
in Arkansas and Missouri i only fished 3+4wts being in NOCO for past year and fishing the Poudre and surrounding streams im mostly on 5+6wts. The wind is a factor up there often even a perfect morning can change real fast to a windy afternoon. i think an Epic 4wt would work well since its faster and would punch through the wind well. I have two steffen 3/4's that see little use now but his 4/5 and 5/6 are always in the truck.

Post 11 Apr 2021, 06:48 • #28 
Sport
tom406 wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:
Just don't let the guide talk you into bobber nymph "fishing". You'll catch fish but it's a soulless experience.
Tom

Isn't this the truth. I heard it mentioned above, but every time I do go out west to visit my son, I take a guided trip on the Poudre. I had a guide tell me one time about this great indicator rig he was going to rig up for me. I told him to turn the car around right now.

If looks could kill. I explained that it is summer on a high altitude Rocky Mountain River, we will be fishing a single dry, and if we find that unproductive then I could be talked into a dropper. We went on to have a wonderful day of fishing, and I have since fished with the guide several more times.

I think that guides get so many new to the sport, or are under so much pressure to put fish in the net that they go with soulless strategies.

Post 11 Apr 2021, 10:09 • #29 
Master Guide
Most people going out West and hiring a guide want to catch fish, first and foremost. Consequently, the guide's focus is on the client catching fish, first to improve the chances of a good tip, and second to improve the potential of getting repeat business.

Where they fail, sometimes, is in adequately questioning the client to find out what his background and skill level are, and more importantly, what their desires and expectations are for the guided trip.

Not everyone is a newbie. Some fly fishermen are more interested in having a fine, fulfilling experience and how many fish they catch is second. A good guide learns this pretty quick, and becomes a better guide for it.

Post 11 Apr 2021, 10:32 • #30 
Sport
I now use the guide I mentioned as my preference when I visit my son. I usually take a day's of guided fishing every time I visit him, which is a few times a year. He is a young guide, a local kid going out of state to college. He comes home and guides for the summer. He is very very fishy, just knows where they are never guesses at it. Every piece of water he points out holds a fish.

Once he understood that I could fish, and that I liked to fish the dry fly it was on. We fish like fast friends. He did tell me that it is mostly tourists with no or limited fishing experience who wanted a western experience.

Post 13 Apr 2021, 09:04 • #31 
Guide
I can always tell who’s from out of state or new from the bobber. So many hordes of anglers do it that I think the fish are keyed into it now.

I’m of the firm opinion that anglers should learn the art of the dry fly before morning to anything else.

Post 13 Apr 2021, 20:05 • #32 
Guide
If 5wt , then probably a job for Dustys classic western glass 865-3 , or maybe one of his hybrid configurations (?) or even better yet , give Dusty a call ???

Post 14 Apr 2021, 06:06 • #33 
Sport
All, this has been great advise.

I am now on a lookup for a ff79, and am working through the justification of a Western Glass from *********. I am going to need a bigger truck to transport my rods for this trip. I need to calm down

Post 14 Apr 2021, 07:52 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
A 7'9" 5wt. will be able to handle most of where you are about to fish. IMHO.

Post 03 Jul 2021, 20:14 • #35 
Sport
I want to thank you all for your advise. I just reached out to Dusty to talk about building a Western Glass 5#. I feel this rod will have more opportunity for use at and around home.

I will look to go the vintage Fenwick route for a 6#. I think it is important to have something of that size just in case. Certainly if I have it I will not use it, but if I didn't I would need it. Or at least this would be typical for my relationship with the universe.

I need to reread some of the guidance on the Fenwick 6# and then go poking around to see what is available and what I am willing to spend.

Post 04 Jul 2021, 15:33 • #36 
Master Guide
Just a quick update to based on my recent experience on a Montana tributary stream (link here): If you want to keep it simple, I think I agree with Hellmtflies - a 5wt glass rod 7.5' to 8' in length will be able to handle the streams and fishing you describe you're seeking. Honestly, your 4wt will probably be just fine, too. This assumes that you're focusing on dries and dry droppers from shore (as opposed to dredging deep water with a multi-fly indicator/shot/fly/fly rig or euronymphing). I have to say that a 5/6wt glass rod that was "only" 7ft long was easier to handle than a longer rod from a bushwhacking perspective, and I never really missed the extra length. I do like my ********* 8'9" 5wt Western Glass rod. I'm not completely sure, however, that the extra foot in length buys me enough to outweigh the cost of the extra weight (including a heavier reel to balance out the longer rod). I think that I can maybe get a little more natural drift distance in waters with complex currents. The stream I fished and the waters I looked at in Montana were simpler in structure than, say, the McCloud and the Sierra waters that I usually fish.

Don't let this discourage you, however, from getting made-in-Montana rod for a Montana trip. That could be an awesome memento...

Post 05 Jul 2021, 13:22 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
tom406 wrote:
A six weight longer rod is a real advantage in the West. Between wind and brush behind you getting your line higher is a real advantage. The six weight line because unlike a lot of places a 20"+ fish can come out of anywhere.

and, the six can throw the giant foam dry fly contraptions that a lot of Western trout like..

Can recommend FF806 or 856. Here's my FF856, works for small creeks (Gros Ventre, high up) and big rivers with salmonflies (Blackfoot)..

Post 24 Jul 2021, 20:34 • #38 
Master Guide
So true!!!!!!! I was on the Mighty Mo latter half of June and all I had read was how great the dry fly is the last two weeks of June. As soon as we got in the boat I’m handed a nymphing rig and we used it all day. We did catch fish so I can’t complain but next time I’m going dry fly regardless of my success. As far as rods I recommend the Red Truck 5 weight. It was very good to me in Montana and Wyoming this Summer.

Post 25 Jul 2021, 07:52 • #39 
Sport
I have an Orvis Superfine Glass 8ft 5wt that works well for me in the conditions you asked about. The reel is a Hardy LWT and to keep things "west regional" I use the 406 DT line!!

Post 25 Jul 2021, 08:10 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
motosacto wrote:
... If you want to keep it simple, I think I agree with Hellmtflies - a 5wt glass rod 7.5' to 8' in length will be able to handle the streams and fishing you describe you're seeking. Honestly, your 4wt will probably be just fine, too...

the Kabuto 765 or 764 would definitely fill the bill...there are lots of great 765 rods but the Kab is my favorite by far

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply