It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:56

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Apr 2021, 08:21 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
SWCR wrote:
Very interesting topic as well as results, and surprising. As someone who sells hundreds of reel seats a year, my analytics come in with a 70% up lock and 30% down lock sales stats

Honestly, I'm surprised that you'd be surprised by those results. The glass/grass demographic (ones who would typically prefer a downlocking seat for many of the reasons stated above--or the older demographic who grew up with downlockers as the only option) is a pretty small portion of overall flyfishers. I'm surprised that it's not more skewed towards uplocking (if we're taking the entire flyfishing population into account).

Post 13 Apr 2021, 08:49 • #27 
Guide
For me, it principally comes down to balance. Shifting the weight of the reel back an inch really helps balance the rod with some of the lightweight reels I have. I think that’s why most production Euro nymph rods are down-lockers, given the extra length of the rod.

I also think down-locking reel seats look cooler and they are easy to replace without a lip in the grip.

Post 17 Apr 2021, 20:59 • #28 
I only use DL, which also means most of my rods are custom or built with the DL reel seat.

Post 18 Apr 2021, 13:44 • #29 
Guide
I've found I prefer a cap and ring/ dual rings most of the time, they seem to balance the rods better than uplockers, and I find the cap and ring more comfortable than downlocking reel seats.

Post 18 Apr 2021, 17:28 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Butt cap and ring, DL ?I like the reel out of my way but they do get dinged up.I like having the grip not crowded.Every rod has a little different balancing point.

Post 18 Apr 2021, 21:48 • #31 
Guide
Cap and rings look the most elegant too!

Post 19 Apr 2021, 02:06 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
I can live with both styles but generally prefer downlocking. The balance argument doesn't apply to me, I will grip a downlocking rod lower down close to the reel seat ( see Jim Greene casting video). What I do like is the added effective rod length from gripping lower - and the fact that this tends to get a little more bend in the butt of the rod.

I think the uplocking reel seat was mostly driven by fashion and went well with the longer graphite rods - where extra length from a lower grip doesn't really bring much to the table. Large arbor reels did the rest. A large diameter reel extending below the butt of the rod looks odd and is particularly vulnerable to scratching when the rod is stood up.

Post 19 Apr 2021, 06:52 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Giorgio now that makes sense but I still hate uplockers.......Aurelio

Post 20 Apr 2021, 10:34 • #34 
Guide
giogio wrote:
I can live with both styles but generally prefer downlocking. The balance argument doesn't apply to me, I will grip a downlocking rod lower down close to the reel seat ( see Jim Greene casting video).

At the 6:44 mark

Post 20 Apr 2021, 13:03 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I prefer down-locking, *BUT*...

for some longer/heavier rods,
I prefer Up-Locking, with a mini fighting-butt.

I think fighting butts on down-locking setups are just weird.
My opinion...

(Note: Unless we are talking about an 8wt or heavier, "salmon rod" - I don't think a "fighting butt" really adds much to the functional properties of a rod. But I like the aesthetic, anyway. ;-) and put them on some rods 8'-6" and longer, #6wt and heavier)

and for those that can't make up their minds? SPLIT RINGS! The ultimate in flexibility...

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply