It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Mar 2021, 20:11 • #1 
Sport
Took the St.Croix fiberglass rod out for a exploration of the Texas Hill Country; specifically in and around the Llano River. Like many anglers I get in a rut and naturally head back to the same stretches I've fished many times before. So, Saturday I forced myself to spend a little more time behind the wheel and check out access points that are a little off the beaten path; which is hard considering about 95% of Texas is privately owned.

Drove by several crossings before getting out and fishing. It was over cast almost to noon, so I tied on a local favorite; a Llano Bug. Caught a vibrant Longear amongst a 60 ft cliff.

After about 45 minutes I hopped back into my truck to continue checking out access points. A couple sites later I found myself at a promising place for both wading and kayaking. This spot kicked out several Guadalupe Bass and more sunfish. Some hatch had happened on the river and it felt like I should be targeting trout instead of warm water fish.

After about an hour this time I jumped back into my truck and found a couple more promising access points; some better for wading others for kayaking. By now the sun was finally breaking through so I stopped riverside for a lunch break; a granola and dried fruit trail mix, jalapeno venison dried sausage, and a cold Texas craft brew called St. Arnolds Lawnmower.

After lunch I found a good access spot for another wade where I caught more sunfish and Guadalupe Bass. Found a pool holding some carp, but couldn't entice them.

A little more than hour later I was back in my truck to scope out even more crossings. All said and done I scoped out about 2 dozen access points. I had brought my kayak, but never unstrapped it from the bed of my truck. It was fun to break out of the rut and do some exploring. This is just my second trip with a glass fly rod, and I'm really enjoying it.

Post 29 Mar 2021, 20:31 • #2 
Master Guide
For me, exploring is almost as much fun as catching. That trip looks like a lot of fun.

Post 29 Mar 2021, 20:50 • #3 
Master Guide
Great report - good looking water and fish. It’s always satisfying to explore new water and catch a few fish in the process. The Llano bug looks similar to the stealth bomber fly we use in Georgia for shoal bass. The combination of foam and rubber legs probably looks something like venison sausage and beer to bass.

Post 29 Mar 2021, 20:56 • #4 
Piscator
Great job Josh.
I've got to get you south to the confluence of the Sabinal and Frio.
Many 5+ lb bass there.
We can also eat at Hermann Son's on the way home.

Post 29 Mar 2021, 22:06 • #5 
Guide
Well done Sir.
Carl

Post 30 Mar 2021, 07:35 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Great outing, fish, and fly rod!

Post 30 Mar 2021, 12:41 • #7 
Master Guide
Josh,

Great info and pics! I live in Dallas and I have dreamed of doing this trip, with a visit to the Garrison Brothers Distillery mixed in. I’ve visited the distillery many times, but never fished the area!

Post 30 Mar 2021, 15:24 • #8 
Piscator
Dave, Fredericksburg is a B&B town - great base for a long weekend landing.
From there, you can fish the headwaters of the Pedernales, Guadalupe, visit Enchanted Rock SP, Becker Vineyards, and Garrison Brothers Distillery.

Post 30 Mar 2021, 15:58 • #9 
Sport
Thanks everyone, it was fun day.

DaveS wrote:
Josh,

Great info and pics! I live in Dallas and I have dreamed of doing this trip, with a visit to the Garrison Brothers Distillery mixed in. I’ve visited the distillery many times, but never fished the area!

As Ron mentioned the Fredericks burg area would make a great home base for a fishing trip. Garrison Brother's in Hye and little bit farther in Blanco is Andalusia, Real Spirits, and Milam & Greene; all four being grain to glass distillers. Becker (reservation required) and Hilmy Vineyards are two of my favorite in the area. Slate Mill Wine Collective has good wine as well, I just mention it because I grew up dove hunting the property and it's surreal seeing the fields full of grape vines now. There's also Altstadt Brewery for a cold brew. For German food it's hard to beat Old German Bakery for breakfast and Auslanders ($$) and/or Ottos ($$$) for dinner.

Slightly more back on topic there's the Country Flyfisher Shop. It's easy to spend hours there talking to Martin.

Post 31 Mar 2021, 23:32 • #10 
Master Guide
Josh & Ron,

I sense the beginnings of an epic drinking, eating and fishing trip (not necessarily in that order) in Central Texas. It’s incredible what has happened to the hill country in the last 15 years. A visit to Country Flyfisher is high on my list. I had a fantastic experience at William Chris vineyard a few years ago, courtesy of an introduction by Dan Garrison.

I’m also very curious to head further south to the confluence of the Sabinal and Frio someday! Tell me more about Herman Sons...

Post 01 Apr 2021, 08:07 • #11 
Piscator
Dave, Hermann Sons in Hondo is a Texas institution.
There's one item on the menu I can never get past - Alvin's Pepper Steak.
No place else would I ever recommend a hamburger steak. But Alvin's is layered with sliced jalapenos, onions, cheese, and grilled over mesquite.

Post 01 Apr 2021, 08:14 • #12 
Sport
Nice report. What weight is the rod your fishing? Looks like a great time.

Post 01 Apr 2021, 10:13 • #13 
Sport
Snakeroll wrote:
Nice report. What weight is the rod your fishing? Looks like a great time.

It's a St. Croix Imperial 7090 XXL 1-3/4 oz and I was throwing a SA AirCel Panfish line (5/6 wt 160 gr WF, which casts well on my Phillipson Fly Fox FF66C 2-3/8 oz). It does well on this rod, but may be a touch too much when I need to "air it out" on some casts. I'm going to cast it some more but I may look at stepping down to a WF 150 gr line for the St. Croix. Just getting started with fiberglass rods, so I'm trying to match line to rods.

Post 05 Apr 2021, 04:20 • #14 
Master Guide
Forgot to mention I’m a big fan of the St. Arnold’s Lawnmower and their other offerings...

New Topic Add Reply