It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:23

New Topic Add Reply
Texas is Heating Up
Post 27 Feb 2021, 10:37 • #1 
Guide
Well after a freakish winter with two measurable snow storms in Central Texas the fishing is finally turning on and was able to get the old fly rod out on the San Gabriel. Used the Hardy glass 3wt and was a little under gunned but it was sure a fun time tossing bead chain clousers to magnum sized sand bass. Caught over thirty and kept a dozen with the largest being 18 & 1/4" and well north of 2lbs.

I know spring comes early here; but I hope all of ya'll can get out and experience some good springtime fishing. As for me I am hoping to get to the coast here and see what the weird winter weather has done or not done to our saltwater fishery and perhaps get some decent redfish on the fly.

Re: Texas is Heating Up
Post 27 Feb 2021, 12:25 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
We are in thaw mode here,hoping for an early spring.Creeks are running strong into the ponds and lakes.Open water fishing in a week or so.

Post 27 Feb 2021, 18:46 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
We are at least a month behind you here in southern Oklahoma. I hope by mid-March to be fishing some of our streams. Hopefully I can get down your way sometime this year. The pandemic really screwed up our plans for the conclave at Georgetown last year. May try again later this year, will need to talk to a few other people. Really want to get out to try out my new ********* 703.

Larry

Post 27 Feb 2021, 20:25 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I'll second that! I went down to the coast and linked up with Josh and Bulldog during the freeze. Our hope was to catch the redfish and speckled trout as they returned from the deeper and warmer waters of the Gulf into the warming flats to feed after several days without access to their normal food supply. It turns out that the speckled trout had not left the shallow bays, like the redfish apparently had, and we saw hundreds of dead and dying specks from the cold.

We did find a spot where the redfish were stacked up and caught over 30, several of which were in the harvest slot. Between us we brought five home to cook and released the rest. Great day, and although there were fiberglass rods doing the work, we fished with spinning gear, bouncing the bottom with good success. Mea culpa to the fly fishing gods..

Post 06 Mar 2021, 07:55 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hoping to get out myself to see what the white bass is doing around North TX.

Any theories on why the speckled trout did not migrate ot would the fish kill from the Bulldog/Pave/Josh reports happen anyway even if they did or is that not too unusual an event?

I know Texas had the power outage freezing temps event but should the specs not have made their migration by then? Any similar events seen in the other gulf states?

Post 10 Mar 2021, 21:02 • #6 
Guide
Speckled trout kills from winter cold spells happen pretty often in the shallow sounds of North Carolina. Usually this happens after a fast moving cold front that makes the air temperatures drop very fast and in the shallow creeks. Luckily the speckled trout stocks rebound in those areas in a few years.

New Topic Add Reply