It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Feb 2021, 11:20 • #1 
what is the reputation of eagle claw fiberglass rods ? I have a 6' 5 wt.

Post 13 Feb 2021, 13:18 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
If it's one of the new ones they are the best value in glass rods.At less than 30 dollars,a decent line is more.They are great for new fly anglers as you can feel the them load.If you decide fly fishing is not your thing you didn't spend big bucks on a rod.I still fish one and have gifted 4 to friends who want to give fly fishing a try.

Post 13 Feb 2021, 16:32 • #3 
Master Guide
I’ve been contemplating getting the Eagle Claw Featherweight 6’6” 3/4wt to keep in my car at all times.

Post 13 Feb 2021, 20:26 • #4 
Sport
I have both old and new. I also have a 12 year old grandson. The rods are tough enough to withstand him and inexpensive enough for me to be worry free either way. If lost or destroyed I would rebuy again immediately.

Post 14 Feb 2021, 00:23 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
The Eagle Claw/Wright & McGill 7'6" Denco that I have from ~1970 is on the favorite list, a handy casting rod; on the other hand, the (China) Sweetheart from ~1990 is a pretty poor excuse for a fly rod, with a weak mid and bad epoxy work.
I'm guessing that when and where the things were made has a lot to do with whether they turn out good, or bad, or just mediocre.

Post 14 Feb 2021, 04:32 • #6 
Master Guide
I tried the, I think, 7', 5/6, and it was a serviceable rod with a six weight line. Certainly nothing to write home about, but for the $26USD I paid for it, good enough for tossing Crappie flies and such. Very stiff butt and somewhat limber tip.

Post 14 Feb 2021, 11:59 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
That was my point,good pond/panfish rods,good beginner rod,good all round utility rod and a price point that is hard to believe,As blue collar a rod as you can get.Will it delicately land #16 dry flies on tiny tippets ?I would not know,i dont do that type of fishing.Are they pretty rods?Not really ,mass produced with cosmetic flaws but what do you expect for a well funtioning rod for the price of a couple 6 packs of decent beer.I use a 6wt on mine and can throw 60' feet with a weited fly and i may hook unintended species like big catfish carp bass bowfin pike.Great to keep in the car for those unplanned fishing sessions.

Post 14 Feb 2021, 13:29 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Where is Featherweight? He knows more about these rods than anybody I know and has almost all of the variants. Earth calling Featherweight, your expertise needed.

Post 16 Feb 2021, 19:05 • #9 
Master Guide
I have an Eagle Claw Feather Light MLWFF6, a 6' 6-weight that I bought this past November. I was able to take it out once and was able to catch a couple of pickerel, the larger being about 16 inches. The FL series are fun, but the older series rod is more enjoyable to cast and fish.

Post 16 Feb 2021, 21:24 • #10 
Master Guide
i over lined mine 2x and thought it was fun then i gave it to the neighbor kid who used to come over when i was casting in the front yard. left that with her when i moved.

Post 16 Feb 2021, 21:35 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Done the same.have given away 4 of these rods.1 is in CT ,1 in AZ and one in San Francisco.

Post 17 Feb 2021, 17:17 • #12 
Guide
I was teaching my (then) 10-year-old daughter how to cast, and it only took her jamming the tip of my fly rod in the ground once for me to decide to get the 6'6" Eagle Claw 3/4wt for my kids to learn with. It actually casts quite nicely with a 4wt WF line, out to about 35-40' or so...

Post 19 Feb 2021, 22:41 • #13 
Sport
I have a 61/2’ 6 weight for the skinny water. Very nice rod for the tight corners were my brookies hide.

Post 20 Feb 2021, 07:03 • #14 
Guide
Eagle Claw is possibly the fiberglass rod manufacturer with the longest non-stop record of building and selling 'glass rods. Regarding their reputation, in my opinion EC rods are undeservedly the Rodney Dangerfields of the 'glass rod world: they don't get no respect.

Post 20 Feb 2021, 08:36 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, they have been around a while and that is why I said it depends on when and where the rod was made. Denver made rods are not the same as early Asian made rods and those are not the same as current rods.
None of my 'glass fly rods fly rods cast significantly better than my 1970 made in Denver Denco (even if it has the fewest guides of any rod I've ever seen) and none of them cast as poorly as the yellow ~1990 made in China Sweetheart. The Sweetheart also has epoxy defects that were not apparent at first, as though putty popped out with use? Where are the current rods made?

Post 20 Feb 2021, 17:42 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
For sure asia Trev.The epoxy work is still shoddy on these newer rods.A couple i bought 20 years ago had foam handles but had better guide wraps, but the blanks on the feather weights seem a bout the same.The one i just got for my nephew has cork and a metal reel seat.Between my wife and me we have 7 kids and having a good supply of low end but functional gear was a must.Now adults , 3 out of the 7 have any interest in fishing but all like the outdoors.

Post 20 Feb 2021, 23:03 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
paveglass wrote:
Where is Featherweight? He knows more about these rods than anybody I know and has almost all of the variants. Earth calling Featherweight, your expertise needed.

Sorry, just woke up. :eek It's interesting, if it's a Featherlight (model-MLFWW6FT) and marked as a 5wt. Is that correct on both? As Standman reported, those 6fters appeared in Eagle Claw catalogs (1970-1978) as being 6wts. HOWEVER...I have two 5 1/2 ft (MLWFF-5 1/2FT) which length had never appeared in their catalogs. One is marked 6wt and the other, remarkably 5wt. But they are the same exact rod but the 5wt designation is a more exotic limited edition, which doesn't add any real value to it other than for the 2 or 3 crazy people like me :P who collect Featherlights and then it makes a difference. But I can't say I've seen one marked as a 5wt before but given my 5 1/2ft Featherlights, it's not surprising.

But I'll be a little mysterious on this as I don't have one...there is I'm sure an even rarer 6ft Featherlight. It was definitely made but it had only a one year run in production. If you have enough EC catalogs and read very carefully, you can figure it out. But I believe that one is probably the rarest of them all, even the very hard to find 4pc, 6.5ft Featherlight (M4MLWFF-6 1/2FT) Pack Rod that had a two year run. But even then you'll see one of those rods rear it's head once every 2-3 years or so. But I remember seeing someone here got one last year! The 5ft, 4wt Featherlight is the other one that really hard to corner too and I'd have to say I see less of them than the 4pc pack rod.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41780&hilit=MLWFF+5ft

New Topic Add Reply