It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:59

New Topic Add Reply
Diamondglass 6'6" 3 wt.
Post 13 Feb 2021, 11:01 • #1 
I own a Diamondglass 6'6" 3 wt. that I love to fish. What are othe members thoughts on the rod ?

Post 13 Feb 2021, 11:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
This post should have been placed under Fishing With Fiberglass Fly Rods, and probably will be moved there. However, I used to have one of those Diamondglass 3 weights and many times I've wished I hadn't sold it to a friend. It is a delightful little rod. I let a friend cast it one day and he was having great difficulty in casting more than 25-30 feet. He was accustomed to graphite rods, so I had to show him how to relax and slow down and he found getting some distance much easier. I still have the 8' 4 weight rod from Diamondglass and I doubt I will ever get rid of it. Letting the Diamondglass series go was one of Cortland's biggest sins. What do you fish for and in what kind of waters? If you will go to your profile in the User Control Panel and list your general location that will also help people identify the type of fishing you might be doing.

Larry

Post 13 Feb 2021, 11:49 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome. And next to the user control panel, you’ll find the search function, and searching “Diamondglass 3wt” yields pages mentioning their 3wts; exploring searches can yield a lot of fun info. Also, on the main page, is a link to the “Wiki” page, where there’s a rundown on the Diamondglass models, including some user discussion from back in the day when they were still commercially available.

Post 13 Feb 2021, 14:24 • #4 
Guide
Welcome to the board!
Yes, do some searches on that rod. I know a lot of folks like it. And I agree, your question will attract more eyeballs, and comments, in the Fishing with Fiberglass section.

Post 13 Feb 2021, 16:12 • #5 
Master Guide
I bought a new Diamondback “Meeker” 6622 earlier this year on sale. My first 2wt. I love it. Have caught sizable bass and a ton of panfish on it. I know it’s not the same USA blank, but the new ones are sharp-looking rods, made in homage to the first generation. Owning the revival edition makes me want to own an original to compare.

Post 14 Feb 2021, 11:27 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I custom built a DGL 6’6” #3 several years ago.

It was a “little lazer” of a caster. A very nice brookie stream rod.

After fishing it for a few seasons, I did find it a bit too fast for my liking however, and it just didnt load well for me at short fishing distances with a dt3 line. Overlining it with a 4wt sucked the “liveliness” out of the taper, so I sold it.

But I was very emamored with the build and hated to see it go.

Post 17 Jul 2021, 05:10 • #7 
A man with an excellent taste in Scandinavian reels I see
If that is a panfish then it makes my 6" - 8" brownies look like minnows ! Bet it went well on a #2 weight eh.

Post 17 Jul 2021, 22:38 • #8 
Master Guide
Ha. Yes that was a fun bass to land on the 2wt. I do love that Danielsson reel!

Post 19 Jul 2021, 00:33 • #9 
Sport
I have that rod and enjoy fishing it very much. I do agree that it is a bit on the faster side, and I have to adjust my casting accordingly. It does throw tight loops, but also lets the small stream trout show off, pulling against the softer fiberglass blank. I couple this rod with a wf 3 weight line.

Post 19 Jul 2021, 01:16 • #10 
Thanks Last Place, I've heard others say the same.Do you happen to know where the blanks are made ?

Post 19 Jul 2021, 13:10 • #11 
Sport
No problem Chris. I have one of the older models that was made by Cortland. I know that they eventually sourced or manufactured their blanks from overseas.

Post 19 Jul 2021, 15:02 • #12 
Administrator
oxford chris wrote:
Thanks Last Place, I've heard others say the same.Do you happen to know where the blanks are made ?

The original Diamondglass rods were made by Diamondback (formerly REC) in Vermont. In the early 2000s Cortland purchased Diamondback with the idea of moving the operation to Cortland, NY. The equipment moved, but the people didn't. Fortunately, the equipment ended up with Mike McF rather than the junk yard. Cortland sold off the last of the Vermont made blanks and began making blue blanks overseas.

Eventually the Diamondback and Diamondglass names were sold off to Nate Dablock around 2015. That is the current version of the company that is making the Meeker glass rods. I don't know who rolls the blanks. I would expect the website to be very clear about anything made in the US. I don't currently see an option to buy just the rod blank.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply