It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:50

New Topic Add Reply
8ft small fish rod
Post 11 Feb 2021, 07:19 • #1 
Hi all
last year i got my first glass rod in the shape of an aventik 7.7 4wt. I really like it but would now like to build myself a quality rod to fish for small trout (rarely over 12 inch) in small UK rivers. I want maximum fun from these fish an looking for blank recommendations please. I think an 8ft rod would be ideal for the river i mainly fish. I am drawn to the slower deep flexing , softer rods like the kabuto 8033 (as i understand it) but wondering if something faster (CTS or Steffan 3/4?) may be easier for me as although i can cast the aventik well in a straight line i can't put mends into it at all like i could on my graphite rods. I'm sure its mainly down to technique controlling the wobbly tip. I hope the high end slower blanks would still recover better than the aventik to help me eith mends but what do you think? Unfortunately i can't test any good glass rods around here. I'm sure whatever blank i go with i'll enjoy it as i've only ever bought cheap rods before but would really welcome any suggestions. I'll mainly be fishing dries and a bit of small, dry dropper with this rod.
thanks a lot

Re: 8ft small fish rod
Post 11 Feb 2021, 08:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You might want to specify what weight rod you want. To me, a "small fish rod" is probably going to be a 4wt. although 5wt rods can do everything and more than a 4wt.. The Steffen 8' 3/4 has plenty of flex but being s-glass it's light and responsive. The Steffen 8' 4/5 might be a good choice too as well as being more versatile than your Aventik.

Re: 8ft small fish rodh
Post 11 Feb 2021, 10:10 • #3 
Thanks a lot . I was thinking of a 3 or maybe 4 weight.

Post 11 Feb 2021, 10:14 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The Steffen 8’ 3/4 was what immediately came to mind. I think most, including me, prefer it with a 4 wt line, which is about as light a line I’d want to use when a dry-dropper rig is expected - when fishing a 3 wt, I can and sometimes do fish dry-dropper, but I find that doing much of that kind of fishing is more comfortable with a beefier line.

I believe Larry Kenney now will sell blanks. I have not fished his 8’ 1” 3wt, but a search of the board will show a lot of praise for his rods, and the 813 in particular. You mention mending, and I do think it’s more difficult for a designer to make a softer rod that is still a good mending rod, but I would not expect a problem in that regard with either Steffen or Kenney designs .

Post 11 Feb 2021, 11:39 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
You may want to connect with ********* Fly Rods. Dusty recently post pictures of new blanks for sale, including an 8ft 3wt 3pc e-glass. Check out his post about a week ago in the “for sale” section.

Post 11 Feb 2021, 11:43 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
No longer in production but a Winston Retro 8'0" 4wt might fit the bill. Buttery smooth and deep flexing, but with the ability to cover distances nicely.

I also own the Steffen 8'0" 3/4 and use it with it the same DT4F line and there is no comparison. The Steffen is faster and can't cover the same distances with a 4wt line although it might with a 3wt line however then it is a faster 3wt in close.

Post 11 Feb 2021, 14:16 • #7 
Guide
Hi
I'm in the UK too, it is a bit hard to try before you buy with glass, maybe it makes it even more exciting when you order a new rod? :)

I have a 7'6 3wt ********* and it would be a good choice, if you built it up yourself like you're planning or even get a UK builder to build up a blank, it will still be significantly cheaper than buying a built rod.
I bought the blank from Dusty on sale and then sent it to Sandy Nelson in Scotland, he builds really great rods, got another on the way from him now.
My ********* is pretty soft, but I really like it for nymphs and dries. I think you can't get much more fun from a 3wt, a 6in trout hoops this rod over! It handles fish over 12 in fine as well.
I also have a 7'6 4wt ********* from a board member, I've only cast this rod in the garden, not fished, but it's quite a bit firmer than the 3wt, and would be a better choice if you're wanting to fish a dropper.
I like 3wt rods but I'm coming round to 4 weights in 7'6 - 8'ish rods in general just for that bit more versatility. Even a 5wt won't do any more to scare the fish away on most rivers I fish, but will make dealing with wind, fishing bigger flies, droppers etc much easier.

Post 11 Feb 2021, 14:30 • #8 
Master Guide
All my 8 foot rods are small fish rods :lol . However, the Steffen 3/4 provides the most enjoyment.

Post 11 Feb 2021, 16:30 • #9 
Guide
I have a James Green Heritage trout 8'3" 3pc 4wt that you will love If you really like them slow & soft. I am an overliner type and this is the only rod I underline with a 3wt, the rod is light in hand for over 8' & just a fantastic specialty rod. I have the Retro 4wt & Steffen 3/4 & 4/5 in 8 footers, the Steffens are the most excellent all arounders, this JG rod is a wonderfull thing only for those who like slow & soft.

Post 11 Feb 2021, 16:38 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Kenney 8’1” #3

Post 11 Feb 2021, 21:24 • #11 
Master Guide
I think I would ask @dustdog12 if he is going to roll the western glass in 3wt 8’3”.
The Steffen blanks are wonderful all around trout rods but if I was strictly going for small trout I would look into ijuin blanks, they are designed for smaller stuff and very addictive to fish.

Post 12 Feb 2021, 10:04 • #12 
Thanks all, your input is really insightful and helpful. I've made a few enquiries about a few of the rods mentioned! I really appreciate the in depth posts and PMs.
cheers

Post 13 Feb 2021, 08:43 • #13 
Master Guide
I don’t own one one of his rods (yet) but the new McFarland site is up and there are some sweet options in his catalog for lighter weights in the 8’ range: https://www.mcfarlandrods.com

Post 17 Feb 2021, 06:08 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
A lot of choice as you can see. Personally for small water - which I fish a fair bit - I prefer 7'9" 4wts. The Kenney 794 and the Paddock 794 signature series are both stellar rods.

If you are in the market for blanks, CTS is an excellent option that I don't think has been mentioned.

As far as mending goes, the taper of the line and leader plays an important role. The pink Cortland 444 is great for that but there are lots of others. Some of the modern lines with a lot of weight up front are less than ideal for this purpose.

Post 17 Feb 2021, 08:04 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I bet Chris Barclay or Aurelio may have some great insight on rods for waters where light weight rod are beneficial.

Does your waters have a lot of brush or open spaces? I am more of a fish the environment versus fish size when it comes to rod weight and selection.

Post 17 Feb 2021, 12:28 • #16 
Thanks, good point about the line, the line i have been using is old and needs replacing, i'll give the taper some thought.
Regarding he environment, its quite mixed, the area i mainly fish would be ok with an 8ft the tree cover is quite high and i have a short rod for the tighter sections further up.

Certainly is plenty of great choices! i am very tempted to try the new ********* e-glass. Just need to make a final decision on what i actually want from a rod!

I Would like to say a public thank you to Larry Kenny, Mark Steffen and Dusty Smith for there prompt replies and info, and to all who have offered there opinion, its much appreciated.

Post 17 Feb 2021, 13:53 • #17 
Guide
I would put Larry Kenney and Mike McFarland at the top of any list!
Good Luck, Bob

New Topic Add Reply