It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:38

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Dec 2020, 16:56 • #1 
Guide
I'm in search of a long handled landing net to use for still water fishing, with deep see-though net bags. At present I have a pair of beautifully made hardwood nets, one a C & R, the other a boat. They are lovely but too heavy. I'm curious about graphite nets, like Fishpond. What subforum do I post in?

[I moved this to the Fishing forum. Tom]

Post 14 Dec 2020, 17:48 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Brodin has some carbon fiber nets with their ghost bags - I've held one and they are nice and fairly light weight, but not enough to make your eyes go :eek

Post 14 Dec 2020, 18:23 • #3 
Piscator
How long do you want? Frabill makes a telescoping net with ghost-type bag.
https://www.frabill.com/nets/by-series/ ... vation-net

Post 14 Dec 2020, 18:56 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not sure if this is long enough for you, but I picked up a Fishpond Nomad Emerger to help with reach when wading and fishing stillwater. I've been happy so far.

Post 14 Dec 2020, 19:39 • #5 
Guide
Thank you all.
I have looked into Brodin, on-line, but not yet seen a longer synthetic handled model. (I have a large Ghost net bag by Brodin that I was going to lace up on my boat net.)
Among the Fishpond nets I believe there is supposed to be a long handled model that can be used as a walking staff. (Something I really need after a couple hours of chasing fish.) You can even get a rubber tip for the end of its long handle. I am considering this brand because it's available in Canada. Has anyone used one?

I am curious about is how well do the graphite or fiberglass hoops fare in normal use. My lovely wood hoops can be rubbed down with walnut oil in the off-season to "brighten them up".

I'm also curious about where these nets are made. Many of the really decent nets are made in the USA, some in Canada & some in the Americas (like Brodin), but what about Fishpond etc.?

Post 14 Dec 2020, 21:25 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I went on Fishpond's site and nowhere do they actually say where there products come from, but they do say they have partnerships with 50 other Countries, but still no details. Guessing most all products are made offshore. Orvis sells a mid-sized Nomad net (Fishpond) that lists the weight at a smidge over 14 ounces, at 47" long - nice camo graphics to my eye anyway.

Post 15 Dec 2020, 13:07 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
If you want a long handled net that is also a wading staff:

https://netstaffoutdoors.com/

I don't know a thing about the company or its products but they are going out of business at the end of the year and are selling at 60% off. Bottom line, $59.00.

If you are looking for convenience in a boat and can live with aluminum and a rubberized bag versus a "ghost net," take a look at McLean.

Post 15 Dec 2020, 13:37 • #8 
Guide
Thank you "jhuskey" & also "Bamboozle".
I'll try to do some more research about sources of manufacture for these two brands & of course availability to Canadians.
bprof

Post 15 Dec 2020, 13:38 • #9 
Guide
Regarding durability, I’ve used a standard fishpond nomad net for about three years now and it does show a few scuffs from contacts with rocks or getting hung up in branches while bushwhacking through timber. However, absolutely no issues with any structural damage. I’ve flown with it a few times as well. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the net to a fellow fisherman.

My buddy uses a mid-length fishpond nomad and also likes it a lot.

Can’t go wrong in my opinion if they have one in the length you’re looking for.

Post 21 Dec 2020, 10:23 • #10 
Master Guide
Blueprof,
I can highly recommend the made in USA aluminum Rising nets. The quality and design from handle to deep mesh bags are amazing. They are lightweight but a touch heavier than the fishponds I believe. Absolutely bombproof and loaded with features. Every net handle has a “hidden flask” feature if you like to carry some elixir with you on the water. And if you order directly from them you can get your name or something else engraved on it for free.

https://risingfish.net/product-category/nets/

Post 25 Dec 2020, 18:54 • #11 
Guide
I did look into Rising nets, thanks to your link. Interesting products.
While I would not want to put anything liquid into the hollow handle, it being closed does offer some initial flotation. Sent them an email & promptly received a reply to my questions.

Most likely I will spring for their Lunker premium, which Feathercraft could ship by air if necessary.
I like the carrying bag idea, so that one does not put a net directly into the car & transfer all kinds of fish odours onto the upholstery. I have had a washable bag made for my laminated wood nets just for that purpose.
I like the fact that they have ghost nets on most models. The ease with which Rising's net-bags can be replaced is another plus.

While a laminated handcrafted, hand-crafted hardwood net is appealing to my traditional sensibilities, their weight & extra care & maintenance may be their down side. For bank or boat fishing, these nets may be just what I need.
Thanks again Dave.

Post 26 Dec 2020, 21:35 • #12 
Master Guide
I’m very interested in the Bozeman net, it’s an aluminum hand net but there is an extension you can buy to make it a boat net. https://bozemanflyworks.com/collections/nets

Post 27 Dec 2020, 09:32 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Take a look at the link for the Made in the USA Rising Nets provided by DaveS above.

It appears the Bozeman Net is a knock-off of the Rising Net and not made in Bozeman.

Post 27 Dec 2020, 22:49 • #14 
Master Guide
didn't know about the Rising Nets, they look great. looks to be a bit better build

Post 28 Dec 2020, 10:58 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
They got my interest too and the last thing I need is another net...

Post 30 Dec 2020, 14:42 • #16 
Master Guide
Good catch. I agree! The Rising guys make incredible stuff in the USA. Highly recommend.

Post 30 Dec 2020, 17:23 • #17 
Guide
Thank you all. You have sent me to the right places.
Before inquiring here, my first foray into getting a new net (with a large "ghost" bag) had me looking into Brodin. I already have a large Ghost bag by them, bought as a possible replacement for the the black knot-less Nylon I have on my boat net.
After a lot of counting holes & loops, it seemed that the Brodin bag may not fit my existing hoop. Besides, my beautiful figured maple boat net is much too heavy.
Then I thought, why not just get a new net? I was disappointed to find out that Brodin's net frames are not made in the USA.

New Topic Add Reply