It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Nov 2020, 09:04 • #1 
Master Guide
I have an opportunity to be given a really nice one ... but I don't know the actual model. I do know it's a D rated 8' "Dry Fly Action". I've read that many Garcia blanks were similar from model to model but with trim differences that determine the various grades.

Can anyone with a Garcia rod with a blank like this comment on it's action? Are they 5, 6 or 7 6 weights with a modern WF line? Thanks all.

Post 26 Nov 2020, 10:38 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It will be at its best with typical tapers of the 'glass era in standard weight lines. These lines were made for that type of rod, and it is a good one. It is not an especially light blank, which in 8' yields a very comfortable rod with self-loading capability, and thus versatility in line weight. The sweet spot will be DT6 or WF6, or maybe WF7 with compact, short backcast. I use mine with all of those, plus DT5. Try a conventional WF6 first. You don't need to hold your tongue a certain way to have this rod perform well, and it doesn't need a specialty line; if anything, an unusual weight profile will narrow its capability with little to no gain in that one type of casting/fishing.

Here's a good older discussion about lines that suit 'glass rods (I think it's the one from the time when the 406 fly line products were being planned). The discussion emphasizes DT, but WF in standard profile and weight is covered as well. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46792&p=190409&hilit=on+the+market#p190409 Other brands--read the product description as to weight and profile--also offer what I have been calling "conventional" or "traditional" or "standard" tapers/weights.

Here are two 8' Conolons (refinished slightly differently) that I used fast and furious for a few seasons. I often rigged one with a WF6 or 7 and the other with a DT5. Here, with a Cortland WF6 fast-sink tip.

Post 26 Nov 2020, 10:58 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That classic Garcia 8ft rod is gonna be a 6/7. I am fond of a rod loading when I cast and would probably fish it with a 7wt. WF, DT doesn't really matter.

Where do you see the "D"?? Lots of the rods used D as part of the model number, or it could be a line designation. D Translates to 6wt.

Post 26 Nov 2020, 11:06 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Springer1,

The Conolon rods are always a mystery to me. There are so many models with no rhyme or reason to their model numbers. Without having it in had and trying it out you really can't tell. It could be a light 6wt or a 7/8wt. Even rods with the same number will be different. Also, the rated line weight isn't always a good indicator. I have a rod that was listed as 7/8 which is a nice 6wt. My guess is that it is best with a 7wt and will cast a 6 or 8wt.

The trim levels are often the "star" rating. 2star models (often blue) are near the bottom of the trim ratings. 5-stars are at the top. The 2-star rods often do well with an extra guide added and are good candidates for rewrap projects if the blank is pleasing to cast.

If the person is just getting rid of the rod, you should definitely try it out. There are some really nice Conolon rods out there (though there are some less nice ones too).

Post 26 Nov 2020, 11:07 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Garcia's have a nice action and sounds like the price is right. As mentioned probably around a 6wt.

Post 26 Nov 2020, 11:29 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks all - boy do I really appreciate this group. Not only do I have friends that share my interests but they are knowledgeable and nice people. ( according to the owner the ā€œDā€ is part of the line rating )

Post 26 Nov 2020, 11:39 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
If it is rated for a D line, that is a 6/7. However often the rods are a model number 3456D or 3456B I am pretty sure that does not correspond to a D or B line.

Post 26 Nov 2020, 16:08 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I fished one for years with a Cortland peach DT6. As I remember, it was a deep flexing, moderate action glass rod. Like Carlz says, I remember the rod number ended in something like 2404D which occurred with the inscription "Dry fly action. It was a gold colored rod with an Allen reel seat. No stars. I also remember it said "HDH or D," so in keeping with the custom of the era with regard to WF's, you probably should use a WF7 on it.

Post 26 Nov 2020, 19:01 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Good tip to try a standard WF7. I don't think I ever did, a DT or WF6 working fine for my uses, but the first few times I had a WF7 with me just in case the 6 felt light. Probably used it a few times but don't remember. Someone who tried a 7 first might never feel any reason to try a 6. That's the beauty of 8' midweight 'glass--fly-fishing rods, not one trick pony casting rods.

Post 26 Nov 2020, 22:42 • #10 
Master Guide
Thanks all !!!

New Topic Add Reply