It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:41

New Topic Add Reply
Sinking Line Questions
Post 31 Oct 2020, 06:26 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I plan on doing some lake fishing from a boat this coming season and will need to use some type of sinking line to fish small to medium streamers in water depths of 10-15 feet. I'm guessing the warm water fish I'll be targeting will be within a few feet of the bottom. I'll be using a single hand 8wt rod. The array of sinking lines is kind of overwhelming: full sink, sink-tips of many lengths, different sink rates in ips, different sink types like 3 or 4, different grains, etc.. I'm thinking sink-tip, maybe 24ft, 250-300 grains depending on weight of rod. Does this sound right? What sink rate? Are there advantages or disadvantages to fishing a high sink rate? Recommendations for reasonably priced lines? Thanks for any insight!

Post 31 Oct 2020, 10:11 • #2 
Guide
If you need to get down 10-15 feet, I think you're looking at a full sinking line. A sink tip probably wouldn't cut it. In terms of the grain window, you may want to contact the rod manufacturer. I know Scott puts out the grain window for its heavier rods. I've had good experience with the Orvis depth charge lines. 8wt would likely be 250gr, though the up to 300gr is often marketed. The choice may depend on the rod's action, the size flies you're using, and the desired sink rate.

Post 31 Oct 2020, 10:23 • #3 
Guide
I use the Orvis Depth Charge a lot off a boat, and its a really good line.

The 350 grain line is really for 10-weights. I have also used a 150 grain line with a 6-weight, and it fished really well.

The heads sink at (IIRC) 5-6 IPS, so I religiously count down: 20-25 seconds to get to 10ft, 30+ to get to 15 ft. Or, if you have a companion in the boat, ask them to use a watch, and make it accurate.

The nice thing about the Depth Charges is that the heads stay down in the zone for a while: it is only when you have retrieved all the running line that the head, and hence the fly, starts to track towards the surface.

The principle disadvantage is still water is that, with a fast sinking head, you have to maintain a pretty steady retrieve, or else the head and fly will continue to sink. But that’s a nice problem to have in most deep water fishing, IMHO.

Post 31 Oct 2020, 14:16 • #4 
For 10-15" I like a full sinking line 1.5-2 IPS like the Scientific Anglers Clear Camo. Works well in clear water and provides the angler with a good horizontal retrieve at different depths. Sink tips have their place but create an upward and across retrieve. This can be desirable depending on what bait the fish are targeting. Not a bad idea to have a spool with each type of line. Jerry

Post 31 Oct 2020, 15:08 • #5 
Master Guide
Fishing a full sink fly line effectively to that depth imposes some line handling rigors.

To keep the full line at its deepest desired depth and efficiently fish the fly there, you need to strip off a lot of line after the cast and feed it out as the line is sinking during your e count down. That way the line and fly will track back horizontally instead of angling up towards the surface out of the feeding zone for much of its run.

Boat control is important. Being blown around by wind or waves from the point of the original cast is going to screw up your feel for the deep strike; your ability to set the hook; and initial control over a hooked fish. An anchored boat or one using the new trolling motors that hold you on a designated spot would help stabilize your platform for deep fly work.

Post 31 Oct 2020, 15:50 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Full sink will work better than sink tip. I would pick a density that keeps the fly at the desired fishing depth at the retrieve rate you desire. Super dense lines will keep sinking on a slow retrieve.

Post 31 Oct 2020, 16:55 • #7 
Piscator
I've fished Teeny 450 down to 30+' offshore, and no problem fishing T130 down to 15' 5/6-wt
If you're in moving water, you'll need to go to heavier grain weight and matching heavier rod. T200 or TS250 (30' head) is perfect on 8-wt
teeny line is not a sink tip, but a spliced shooting head.

Holy cow, I've fished these lines for 40 years, and posted about them on this forum for 15

Post 31 Oct 2020, 17:15 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Boat plus lake plus 15' deep equals lead core 15'+ on a running line like in canoe trolling to me, next best thing would probably be the heaviest Teeny line (this would be beat if you plan to cast) and I don't think sink rate matters as much as total mass when either in a current or going that deep, just my way of seeing things with no science behind it.
I have read that the trout lake anglers over the hill from me use floating lines and long leaders with indicators and up to 15' of tippet with weighted flies or shot, when I asked how they cast the answer was just let it pay out as the boat moves away. I believe they rely on a companion to net the fish.

Last edited by Trev on 31 Oct 2020, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 31 Oct 2020, 17:16 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Ron - It was your posts about the Teeny T-100 that moved me to try one and it's been very productive numerous times. I've not paid attention to posts about deeper water because I haven't fished deep with a fly rod. How does a sink tip differ from a spliced shooting head?

Post 31 Oct 2020, 17:45 • #10 
Piscator
the Teeny sinking head hauls the thin running line down - all you have to do is count - I've fished 20' deep with a TS250.
Especially in stillwater, it will get you down.
A sink tip has a floating fly line behind it - they cast with hinge to begin with.
Nothing casts like a Teeny line - I've shot my TS250 consistently to 140' in the surf, including that much backing.
The beauty of this line, there's no sag, and it's the straightest shot from your rod tip to hook point.

I've fished 10' down with my T130 in a 450 cfs river - bottom bouncing

Post 31 Oct 2020, 18:09 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
There are lots of options out there these days. I'm a huge fan of the SA Sonar 3D lines (basically what the Orvis Depth Charge is--also great), but I also really like how those Teeny lines perform. Pick your poison, they'll both work great. Depending on your rod, I typically like a 250gr-300gr on any of my 8wts (regardless of material), but that's just my personal preference. You really can't go wrong either way...

Cheers!

Last edited by clarkman23 on 02 Nov 2020, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post 31 Oct 2020, 21:51 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not sure what you are fishing for, and you may need a sinking line for what you are doing, but for stillwater I avoid sinking lines if at all possible. Just not as happy fishing a sinking line. Lots of trout lakes around here 10-15ft deep I fish floating lines effectively.

I do fish a couple of old Orvis intermediate lines, they are kinda orange, which provides some visibility. Not being able to see my line is a huge handicap for me, and just one reason most sinking lines turn me off.

All that being said, if you have a hankerin for a sinking line....

Let us know what you get and how it works for you!

Post 01 Nov 2020, 08:35 • #13 
Guide
I have been using the Rio Intouch Deep full sinking lines recently with great success. They come in several sink rates. It sounds like the Deep 6 (6”/sec) could work well at your stated fishing depth. And they can sometimes be found on sale, which may bring them into your desired price range.

Post 14 Nov 2020, 03:50 • #14 
I'll second the Rio lines. I have a full sink and an intermediate sink that I use with my float tube. They sink evenly with no belly which allows a good hook set. Mine are the older versions I have been using for the last ten or twelve years.

Here's a Lahontan Cutthroat on the full sink.

Here's an eastern Sierra Brookie with the full sink also.

Post 14 Nov 2020, 13:41 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I use an intermediate clear line for fishing ponds and lakes,the line sinks evenly from rod tip to leader.I have caught many crappies sunfish and perch and a few catfish and bullheads .It still feels like flyfishing and this line casts well for me once i got used to it.I have been looking into the teeney lines as well for bigger water and more distance.Crappie on the fly are a blast.BD has the teeney system layed out well in past posts.

Post 14 Nov 2020, 18:33 • #16 
Master Guide
Fishing a fast-sinking line like an Orvis Depth Charge is great for when you need to get deep, but it can sometimes be a bit too fast. I also carry a slower-sinking line and/or an Intermediate line for warm water fishing. It lets me count down the depth for shallower needs.

My favorite sinking line blunder to date... I think about it every time I put on a full-sink line: After a successful saltwater striper trip to Cape Cod, I decided to rinse my new-that-season full sinking line and the probably-200-yards of backing while I was fishing out of my boat in the Hudson River (in the smallmouth water way up north in Fort Edward, where it runs clear and fairly fast). I paid it all out right down to the arbor as I motored along slowly. I then stopped (!) and let it soak for a few minutes to insure the salt was all out of the braided backing, and then started reeling up. But it was hopelessly snagged on the bottom and eventually broke off as I tried for a long time to pull it loose. *#@$%!!! Dumb-ass....

Post 30 Nov 2020, 15:35 • #17 
Sport
i fish sinking lines about 30% of the time.

i use the SA sonar 150-200 grain full sink for 5-6wt lines. super easy to cast, gets down fast.

i also use the intermediate SA "warm water" sink line which sinks about 3 inches a second, also on 5s and 6wts.

i will offer that i prefer sinking line on stiffer rods. A highly parabolic rod makes it a bit of a pain to detect strikes or cast, especially from a float tube. a lighter grain weight in a wading situation would make glass fine. just depends on what you are doing.

New Topic Add Reply