It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:55

1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Your go-to rod
Post 05 Oct 2020, 11:46 • #1 
Sport
I've fished a lot of different rods in the last year as I've been learning what I do and don't like about glass and the different types of actions and tapers available to us lucky fly anglers. I could go on about several of the rods that have earned a permanent place in the rotation but I wanted to make a post about my go-to rod and hear which rods you all find yourself using the most.

I am lucky to have a bass pond at work and at home, as well as some excellent bass rivers within easy driving distance, so even though I love trout fishing, most of my fishing is for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass and I end up catching a number of Bluegill as well. Back in the Spring, I picked up a ********* Western Glass 8'9" 7wt 4pc from Bill at W. Jude Fly Rod Co. and it has become my go-to rod. I use it almost every day, either from a canoe, wading or from shore. I usually rig it with an older Hardy Marquis 8/9 and a Rio Gold WF7F. This combo balances nicely and allows me the flexibility of fishing everything from little dries up to modest Clousers and larger, unweighted streamers (such as flatwings) with confidence. The rod loads with only a few feet of line out but can also shoot 60-70' (and I'm sure further in the hands of a more skilled caster) with great accuracy. Even the Bluegill and smaller bass I catch put a decent bend in the rod.
The rod has proven to be an excellent fishing tool and a lot of fun to cast. It's gotten to the point that I just leave the rod rigged on my front porch. Bill's craftsmanship is top-notch and Dusty's taper design is eminently "fishable". I enjoy this rod so much that I have a second one on the way from Dusty.

I will post some photos when I get a chance... in the meantime I'd love to hear what your go-to rod is; not necessarily your favorite or your nicest rod, but your "daily"... what sees the most use on your home waters?

Cheers!

Re: Your go-to rod
Post 05 Oct 2020, 12:42 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Mainly trout for me in the northern Driftless. I have a 7' 3wt, 7.5' 4wt, and 8' 5wt rigged and ready to go depending on the size of stream, wind, etc. All are Lamiglas Honey rods.

The 7.5' 4wt Lami is the "Goldilocks" and gets the most playtime.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 12:53 • #3 
Guide
BRMTN, These 3 rods described below are my go to rods, depending upon the type of fishing I'm doing. I could probably be happy fishing these the rest of my life if they were the only 3 rods I owned.

Since you are in SW VA we may fish some of the same waters. I live close to the New and like to canoe and wade the easier floats below Claytor. Also fish a number of the tributaries plus the Roanoke, the James, etc. I get down to fish the SF Holston a couple of times a year for trout. Always wanted to try the NF for its quality smallmouth. My go to bass rod is a Steffen 8'6" 7/8 wt 3pc. Terrific rod, but unfortunately no longer available new. I'm currently using it with a Golden St Aiden and a Scientific Anglers WF8FBBT and spare spools with a 30 ft 250 grain sink tip and a DT7F. I really haven't used the sink tip for serious fishing, just played around to see how difficult it would be to handle. With the DT7 makes a pleasant dry fly rod as well. This is a rod that gets a good bend from bluegill and smaller bass. I'm planning a couple of trips to use it for trout this fall on two of the larger in state waters, the Smith and the Jackson.

My go to rod for the mountain trout streams is a 7'6" 3wt 4 pc Vladan Milenkovic Unstructured Glass Old Empire Build. This has a semi-parabolic action that Vladan designed to mimic the action of a Paul Young Perfectionist. I can't speak to how accurate that description is - I haven't fished a PHY but Vladan's rod is terrific. I do have a Barclay 70p and the actions of the Barclay and Milenkovic are similar. It's currently mated with a Lamson LP1.5 Lite that I picked up 25 or 30 years ago and spooled with a SA Mastery XPS DT3F that's held up remarkably well.

My go to rod for most other trout streams and smaller bass streams is a glass Cortland Leon Chandler Signature 8' 5/6 wt 2 pc. This rod has some serious mojo. I pair it with a Caps Classic Trout spooled with a 406 DT5F

Post 05 Oct 2020, 12:58 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Unfortunately, “daily” doesn’t begin to describe my fishing; everything involves putting something into the car, chosen based upon destination, weather, and plan, and an hour or two trip. There are certain go-to rods given certain fishing, but the variety of fish and destinations, and expected conditions, means that the variety of rods chosen can get pretty wide; brookie streams don’t get a bass rod. That said, it’s a rare trout camping trip around here that doesn’t see the Lami 7’6” 4wt along for the ride. Then again, a couple weeks ago, it stayed home, since I knew that most options called for something either shorter or longer.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 14:06 • #5 
Guide
My primary rod on the Gallatin River (by my house) is a Barclay Tailwater Special...8'2" 4 wt. When I travel over the hill to the Madison, it's a ********* Rod, 8'9" 5 wt. If I go to the spring creeks in Paradise Valley, it's another *********, 8'6" 3 wt.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 14:47 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Upstreeam wrote:
Unfortunately, “daily” doesn’t begin to describe my fishing; everything involves putting something into the car, chosen based upon destination, weather, and plan, and an hour or two trip. There are certain go-to rods given certain fishing, but the variety of fish and destinations, and expected conditions, means that the variety of rods chosen can get pretty wide...

That about sums up my fishing as well and I am lucky enough to have a lot of stuff to choose from. That being said and at the risk of being a heretic with some choices, I'll name a few rods that get used most often depending on the factors so eloquently expressed by Upstreeam:

6'6" 3wt Winston Retro (fiberglass)
7'6" 5wt Dietrich Bros Carlisle Springs (bamboo)
8'0" 4wt Winston Tom Morgan Favorite (graphite)
8'0" 5wt Bill Harms (bamboo)

Post 05 Oct 2020, 15:17 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
This year it has been Browning Silflex 9222960.Have had a great time with this rod,a 6 foot 5/6 weight .I fish it with a 6wff i think was described as a bass line.Great roll caster and a regular cast will go out to 50' or so.Short enough to leave assembled, being a 6wt it is a good all round pond rod.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 16:24 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Mine has to be in two categories, because thats sort of how my fishing divides.

Single hand: Epic 686 3pc
Two hand: Epic DH11 or Seele 10’7” 8wt (it’s hard to say which gets more use)

Likely will be different next year - I’ve moved slightly farther away from my two hand rivers, so I expect more of my steelhead swinging will be with the Steffen 7/8 this year.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 16:47 • #9 
Sport
I'm lucky enough to have a variety of water to play in. One small stream is heavily stocked with large trout many exceeding 20". Here my Epic 476 3 piece is the go to. The tip is soft enough to accurately place dry flies and the butt is powerful enough to pull these fish out from cover without worrying about breaking the rod. On another small stream with smaller trout, I mostly use my Sage TXLF 7'10" 2 wt. For bass, my Epic 686 with an Orvis 7 wt Bank Shot line is the ticket for tossing streamers or bass bugs. For upstate technical trout fishing I mostly use a Sage X 9' 6" 5 WT. Then there are the two handers and salt water rods...

Post 05 Oct 2020, 18:23 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Lamiglas 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt when I am hiking in to my favorite smaller streams.

For the big river across the street I keep a Fenwick FF-805 strung up, mostly for the power and distance it gives me compared to the Lamiglas.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 18:59 • #11 
Sport
More "heavier" line weights than I would've guessed so far.

Here are a few photos of my *********. I'll try to remeber to snap a pic next time I land a fish with it... Last LMB I caught measured from the butt to just passed the script. Tonight I didn't get to fish (even though I could see plenty of rises on the pond), I was busy playing goalkeeper against my kids... 3 on 1 is hardly fair but we had a good time :)

Cheers

Post 05 Oct 2020, 21:04 • #12 
Master Guide
So this year it’s been many blue lines and my go to has been my Scott F754/3 with a CFO(Hardy) III reel.

Second has been my ********* Western Glass 8’9” 5wt with an LLBean(Hardy) Guide 7/8 (Marquis style) reel.

Third has been my Sage Z-Axis with a Lamson-Waterworks Force SL reel (for slinging indicator nymph rigs).

I got my new LLBean(Franke) 7’ 5/6wt with LLBean Guide 5/6 out once and want to use it again...

It occurs to me that I have too many cool rods and not enough fishable days right now.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 21:18 • #13 
Sport
Fenwick FF806-4 until I finally built an FF756 blank (FL96) that had been sitting in the back of my rod cabinet for about 20 years. Paired with a peach DT5F it's all I need.

Post 06 Oct 2020, 17:51 • #14 
Master Guide
All by PA standards to define small and large trout streams:

Large trout streams: Orvis Western Series 9' 3 weight 2 piece unsanded graphite made in 1989. I fish it with a 4 weight line.

Small trout streams: 50-50, a Fenwick FF705 that I fish with a DT4F line, and an Orvis 7' 5 weight that I bought the first year Orvis offered graphite fly rods. It has a butt over tip ferrule and a ceramic tip-top.

Post 06 Oct 2020, 19:09 • #15 
Guide
Can't say that I have a "go to" rod for everything, but go to rods for specific types of fishing.

Still the ones I grab the most ( in order of wt and length) are my:
Kabuto 662
7' 3wt Yomogi
Kabuto 8033
863 ********* Western Glass
Wojinicki 8'6" 5wt
Epic 686

Depending on the size of the water, conditions, where I'm fishing and what type of fishing, I'll usually have 2-3 rods with me.

Post 07 Oct 2020, 03:28 • #16 
I use a three piece CTS Quartz 8' #5 for most of my fishing. It casts many lines easily including a type 3 sinker but I haven't found a favourite yet. A Hardy Marquis #6 seems to balance it quite nicely (the rod is built with a downlocking reelseat).

Post 07 Oct 2020, 04:07 • #17 
Guide
I am primarily a warm water guy, my go to is old school, Fenwick 7 1/2 for a 6 which I overline with a 7 line. I fish full sink and floating lines depending on the conditions.

Post 08 Oct 2020, 20:31 • #18 
Master Guide
This year the rod I fished the most was a 8ft 5wt TMR finished out beautifully by Bob Hallowell.
I have also been reaching for. 8ft 3in 4wt McFarland blank also built out by Bob and expect that it will end up as the most fished rod this year.
Mostly local warm water pond fishing this year and some trout streams (more this fall!!). Only 2 trips to fish the salt :(

Last year my go to rods were:
TMR 8ft 4wt trout streams
TMR 8ft 6in 6wt /TMR Unity with the Universe 7wt Streamers/ bass bugs
McFarland 8ft 8in 8wt salt water.

Post 08 Oct 2020, 20:44 • #19 
Inactive
7'1" Cabela's prime. After the spring runoff.

Post 09 Oct 2020, 07:14 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I usually put 4-6 rods in the trunk, and pick one more or less on whim adjusted to current conditions when I get to the water, but over the past year the 7.5' 7wt Denco has probably seen more use than any others, followed by the FF80 and the DFS Phillipson 7.5'.
Over the lifetime, 8.5' 8wt was by far my favorite for both trout and bass, an all purpose rig that allows one to own a single rod.

Post 09 Oct 2020, 08:04 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I do have certain fisheries where I'm tied to one specific rod and others where I tend to spread the wealth.

Trout: almost always my Steffen 8' 5/6, unless I'm streamer fishing.

Bass: BAG 7wt, Fisher 8'6" 6/7, Dan Craft 9' (now 8'11") 7wt graphite all get their fair share of play.

Steelhead: Primarily my Seele 8'8" 8wt, but my Steffen 7/8 sees some action and I suspect that my Orvis H3 8wt will get into the mix here too.

Tiger Musky: Epic Bandit & TFO minimag get most of the action here, but I'm having a North Fork Composites 10wt built, my Seele 8'2" 12wt & a new Whuff 11wt graphite that will all see action.

Short answer? With the exception of trout fishing, nothing gets too much preferential treatment.

Cheers!
Randy

Post 09 Oct 2020, 08:31 • #22 
Guide
Good topic......

My Barclay 7-6 gets the most use and is my favorite. I'm in warm-water country, primarily small-mouth in med size rivers and streams. I've found the 7-6 is just extremely versatile and fun. I've caught big and little bass on it and the bluegills even put a little bend in the rod. It will cast a size 4 booglebug, with good timing, or streamers of reasonable size. Been tempted to buy another one.

Post 09 Oct 2020, 10:32 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
I have two. One for small streams and creeks. The other for the larger rivers like the Gallatin etc.

1) The lighter rod would be the Larry Kenny 794 4wt.
2) The heavier rod would be the Russ Peak 8"9" 5wt. "Zenith".

Post 09 Oct 2020, 11:00 • #24 
Master Guide
Like most folks here I have waaaaaaaaay too many rods and fish a variety of both cold and warm water. But, this said there is one little creek that I fish often enough and when I do it's the 64P that gets the call.

Post 09 Oct 2020, 12:25 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
I went on a trip a bit ago and took a half dozen rods, using only two: Steffen Bros. 8' 4/5wt and Orvis SFG 764. I was fishing still water, and had I tried a small creek I would have broken out my Steffen 7'3" 2/3wt.

1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply