It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Sep 2020, 10:31 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
It offers several advantages to a couple of retired archeologists who fly fish Central Texas, it’s relatively close, the wading isn’t particularly challenging, and the stream banks are fairly well wooded, producing shade. The latter is important for both the fish and fishermen when afternoon temperatures will be in the 100s for weeks on end. Some of our Central Texas streams specialize in rock for some distance from the water and are like ovens, even in the morning.

The divots in the limestone are eroded dinosaur trackways which are actually fairly common in this area. The rod—I know, not a great picture—is my 7 foot Sceptre.

I have yet to catch a fish in this water that can’t be handled by a three weight, and I had one in the truck. However, my Andy Manchester built Sceptre had been calling to me and that’s a call that I can seldom resist.

Post 17 Sep 2020, 16:20 • #2 
Guide
It really is a terrific, mostly overlooked stream.
One of my favorites.

As an archaeologist you will appreciate: my friend John Henry, while wrangling a Guadalupe bass one day, looked down to see a perfect half of a point lying in the center of a longear sunfish bed.

Post 17 Sep 2020, 18:49 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Post 19 Sep 2020, 06:49 • #4 
Guide
What causes the river to flow on it's side?

Post 19 Sep 2020, 06:53 • #5 
Piscator
Billy Trimble grew up fishing the Lampasas.

Post 19 Sep 2020, 13:24 • #6 
Guide
Beautiful post. Looks like really neat country. I like 7 foot light line rods too, they bring out the best in every fish.

Quote:
What causes the river to flow on it's side?
Hee hee, clearly the same phenomenon that seems to only afflict my rivers when I photograph them...

Post 20 Sep 2020, 10:30 • #7 
The Lampasas is a great river with plenty of access points and not many anglers. Like mdwwhw said, there aren't many big fish but there are a lot of hungry bass and sunfish that are almost always willing to eat a fly. These shots were from this past July when I took a bit of time off work and took a little fishing road trip. Starting from Dallas, I caught largemouth, smallmouth and spotted bass in the Blue River/Pennington Creek in Oklahoma and then the next day headed south to the northernmost Guadalupe bass fishery in Texas (the Lampasas) to finish off four species of bass in 24 hours. And while I don't know enough about archaeology to appreciate the river for that reason, I do appreciate the wild mustang grapes that grow throughout the system. They make a great snack when you need a little boost.
Lampasas River Guadalupe

Lampasas River Longear

All four bass species

Post 20 Sep 2020, 18:38 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Just fished a spot on the Lampasas today and only caught a dink guad. I saw some carp and gar, and 1 large bass. The sections I have fished were big water. They seemed like they should have lots of giant bass, but I certainly did not catch much. I can’t figure out what works on this river.

Post 20 Sep 2020, 19:05 • #9 
Guide
My favorite flies for the Lampasas are a size 8 Carp-it bomb in olive and a size 12 or 14 damsel nymph in olive or black. The latter seems to have the widest appeal, from longears to Guads to drum to the very occasional 3-pound + largemouth. It's for sure 3-wt territory.

The Lampasas is the only Central Texas stream I am aware of that does not have introduced Redbreast sunfish.

Post 20 Sep 2020, 19:29 • #10 
In addition to the flies mentioned above, two that I always have good luck with are the Rio Bandito/Mardi Craw from Living Waters and Matt Bennett's Rio Getter (Matt also invented the Carp-It Bomb that was mentioned above) in sizes 12-14. If you tie your own flies, videos showing how to tie both the Rio Bandito and Rio Getter can be found on Living Waters' Vimeo page at https://vimeo.com/lwff, and the Carp-It Bomb can be found on the Guadalupe Rivers Trout Unlimited YouTube page at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaG4K_ ... WGLhKJVAoQ. If you don't tie your own, Living Waters in Round Rock may be able to sell you one or more of the patterns.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 08:24 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Great info, H2O. Do you fish with a sinking or floating line?

I noticed a lot of small minnow in the pools, so I was fishing clousers and baitfish patterns on a sinking line.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 08:26 • #12 
Piscator
Curts, I'm surprised you're not throwing cats whiskers.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 09:27 • #13 
Guide
bassackwards wrote:
Great info, H2O. Do you fish with a sinking or floating line?

I noticed a lot of small minnow in the pools, so I was fishing clousers and baitfish patterns on a sinking line.

I own just one sinking line, and it's an 8-wt. :)

Juvenile sunfish in season (now, probably) are a preferred food item for the bass. My go-to fly in that scenario is Bennett's Brunch Money or Lunch Money.

But due to the diversity of species in that river, I typically go with one of the above-mentioned flies.

More than once I've hooked up with largemouth and white bass (there are always a few resident year-round even though the nearest/only reservoir is 15-20 miles downstream) while targeting carp. They follow along foraging mud marlins in hopes of grabbing something (a crawfish, often) they kick up.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 10:10 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Ron, of course I tried cat whiskers, but they got no love.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 11:14 • #15 
Guide
"If you don't tie your own, Living Waters in Round Rock may be able to sell you one or more of the patterns."

Don't forget bones72. I live in Killeen and can arrange on the water delivery tied to order. Haven't fished the Lampasas since I have been back in Texas but have had many a fun day on that river; also a scare or two; that river has gators in it (or at least used to) though never saw one over 7 ft. The biggest was just upriver from the bridge in Kempner laying on a muskrat lodge.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 21:58 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I’d say dark olive damsel fly nymphs 12-10 have worked best for us. Grey bodied cat’s whiskers with chartreuse or olive wings, briminators, Llano bugs. Hoppers in season. Most of the time you don’t need a sinking line, my buddy almost always uses a WF floating, I’ll almost always have a Teeny BS100 or T130 with me.

There are a lot of pattern’s I haven’t tried.

Post 22 Sep 2020, 10:52 • #17 
Piscator
Where a T130 comes in handy is when you want to bottom bounce - I've seen so many bass slamming their heads into mudballs on the flagstone trying to eat the fly.
Particularly good in chutes in the summer, but I also fish riffles down-and-across with them.

Something else that happens this time of year is nickel-sized crayfish push themselves into the flow to spread downriver.

Post 01 Oct 2020, 15:50 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Fished it again today for the first time in a couple of weeks. Just about everything caught fish, but the clear winner was a Rio Getter in dark brown or olive on a sinking line retrieved rather slowly. Of course, there are no Rios in the Lampasas that I’ve ever seen, but they caught some surprisingly—2.5 lb—large bass that don’t often hookup on a size 12-14 fly.

Pretty solid mayfly hatch came off in the morning with the sunnies sipping them almost like trout. A size 16 Adams would have been great but did I have anything like that with me??

Post 01 Oct 2020, 16:33 • #19 
Master Guide
TXH20MAN-

Is that last fish a freshwater drum (sheepshead to those of us in the Great lakes region?)

I didnt know they had them down south. Although native, they are considered trash fish where I'm from. Nothing worse than thinking you have a 5lb smallmouth and it ends up being a sheepshead.

They do fight pretty hard. The pic stands out because it's the first time I've seen someone smiling while holding one lol. I think the nys record is somewhere around 30# give or take.

Very cool.

Post 01 Oct 2020, 19:01 • #20 
Guide
mdwwhw wrote:
Fished it again today for the first time in a couple of weeks. Just about everything caught fish, but the clear winner was a Rio Getter in dark brown or olive on a sinking line retrieved rather slowly. Of course, there are no Rios in the Lampasas that I’ve ever seen, but they caught some surprisingly—2.5 lb—large bass that don’t often hookup on a size 12-14 fly.

Pretty solid mayfly hatch came off in the morning with the sunnies sipping them almost like trout. A size 16 Adams would have been great but did I have anything like that with me??

I've seen some great hatches there. Mostly BWOs but some bigger. Also, amazed at how small those river bass will eat.

Novisor12 that's pretty funny. Most fish make me smile. And yep, sheepshead, gaspergou, "goo" are native to all of our Central Texas rivers. Surprised more folks don't target them as they are virtually identical to their saltwater cousins, black drum, and flats anglers seem to like those well enough. Game fighters and great table fare if you keep a fish every once in a while.

New Topic Add Reply