It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:30

New Topic Add Reply
Martin Rod, What is it
Post 31 Jul 2020, 13:30 • #1 
Inactive
I hope someone recognizes this rod. I've looked all over the internet, and this site, and the closest I can come is that a similar rod with the #3-016. But as my rod has over-sleeved ferrules the other has spigot(s?). May I assume that my rod, pictured below, came from a dept. store combo and that is why I can't find this number as a stand-alone rod?
It says that the rod is 6wt but it feels like much lighter. With lite line it casts very nicely and can work a 40' circle very nicely. It is confusing to me how a 6wt med-action fiberglass can feel much lighter than a fast graphite.
This casts very nicely. I don't really need to know much about it history and I doubt there is anything about it available. What I need to know is how to duplicate its nice action and handle with my next purchase. Is there another Martin model that is as nice to handle as this that I can use for an ultralight rig, something with a hair more pizazzzz?

Post 31 Jul 2020, 13:59 • #2 
Administrator
I have a very similar Martin rod, but I think mine has a tip over butt ferrule. It is a very pleasant casting rod with a light feel. The shortest/lightest Martin I have seen is an 8 foot rod for a 6 weight line. I don't recall that Martin had any presence as a rod company, so I also think these were sold in combo packs with a reel and line. There are lots of Martin reels that would match nicely, such as an LM56.

The sleeve ferrule and stripping guide on your rod were probably from the mid-70s, before the Fenwick tip over butt ferrule patent expired. The repaired guide wraps show that not everyone can do rod work. The rod may be a good candidate for a winter make over.

Tom

Post 31 Jul 2020, 14:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Reeks of St Croix. I found a reference to a St Croix #3-015.

that is an ugly repair, is rod damaged under all that?

Post 31 Jul 2020, 14:18 • #4 
Inactive
No, yours truly was fishing away from home when the guide came loose. I grabbed some braid and 5 min epoxy. Up until the point I hadn't any idea what can be done with rods......I had n't the knowledge that these were repairable and that there were resources online to help me get a better outcome. I believe it is a good candidate to re-do. very sweet casting. as far as decor it is unremarkable. why do you think St. Croix? I'll look up the LM56.

Post 31 Jul 2020, 14:31 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
That picture with the 3-015 in it is typical St Croix looking blank and script, and 3-015 St Croix came up in a Google search but with my limited skills and old PC I couldn't find it??

SC built nice rods. Enjoy

New Topic Add Reply